Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

18313 Views 163 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2009 7:00 PM by tracyrhymer1979 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Previous Next
  • digitalmuse66 Amateur 77 posts since
    Mar 27, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Apr 22, 2009 11:41 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)
    Re: ***Spring Starters 4/20 - 4/26***

sorry I haven't really checked in so much of late. I have been making my way through the  program at my body's pace which can be closer to plodding than anything else at times. I did however finish w2 d2 last night. Felt pretty strong through most of the running segments....next to last one felt like i was sucking air for the last 10 seconds but made it and felt great afterwards. No major aches or pains to speak of (knock wood). Ran home in the middle of what looked like a monsoon monday night...Actually felt pretty good also. Have to say though with my gray hooded seatshirt pulled down over my head i probably bore a real striking resemblance to a certain philadelphia boxer known for comebacks...."yo adrian".

Still planning on running with the nike group when they have human sized runs....last tuesday the shortest run they were doing was 4 miles. I feel good but not that good not yet anyway....will definitely post and let folks know how that goes when i do catch up with them.

tonight is a crosstrain night - im thinking recumbent bike and probably amt motion trainer followed by weights....

Good job everyone so far - this board has been sooooo incredibly motivating for me

Chase Corporate Challenge 5K - June 11, 2009

Take Your Base 5K - June 27th, 2009

Percy Sutton Harlem 5K - August 22nd, 2009

Susan Komen - Race For The Cure - September 13th, 2009

• Carrie18830 Rookie 8 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009
    91. Apr 23, 2009 5:26 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

I finished W1D2 last night & (knock wood) it wasn't entirely too bad.  Of course I am trying not to look ahead to the upcoming weeks because I don't want to scare myself. 

I am thinking about completing W1D3 outside so wish me luck that the transition from the treadmill isn't too difficult.

For all those who are farther along -- what was the most difficult week-to-week transition?

Keep Running !

Carrie

• MN Grandma Pro 224 posts since
    Mar 30, 2009
    92. Apr 23, 2009 7:06 AM (in response to Carrie18830)

Carrie-    I'm only on week 3, but the thought of that 3 minute run terrified me.  It was pretty tough the first day, but I did get thru it, and day 2 went much easier.  I plan on finishing week 3 tomorrow, and seeing the 5 minute run on week 4 scares me.  Just remember, it's only 20 minutes total, and from there I actually break it up into 30 seconds, 15 seconds, only 5 more seconds and that seems to make it easier for me.

Keep up the good work - you can do it!!    Carol

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to  RUN  in the rain. (courtesy of Coach Will)

Started C25K on April 3, 2009
    GRADUATED C25K ON JUNE 7, 2009  

TIME TO FLY 5K    JUNE 27, 2009    38:22

• CinnamonDolce Rookie 12 posts since
    Apr 20, 2009
    93. Apr 23, 2009 7:24 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Ugh. I'm sooooo upset at myself today!

I can't go on my run b/c I woke up this morning with the FLU!!  It's not even a full blown case of it. Just enough that you need to be close by a restroom (I know...TMI....) I was all set and ready to go with my hubby this morning too. It's so beautiful outside. I refuse to call it a day though. I'm just going to hang out in my workout gear and when/if I start to feel better I'm going! I refuse to be sick! 

I'm just bummed. He got to go on a beautiful run on trails and here I am stuck in the house. This was the last time we'd be able to run together too for at least 4 days. It's always more fun and distracting when we go together.

I'm just bummed, bummed, bummed. I don't want to give in and not go. I hate being sick!!!

• lehuagirl Expert 106 posts since
    Apr 19, 2009
    94. Apr 23, 2009 7:45 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Sorry you are sick, Cinnamon! I think it's like a diet, you can always start again, so don't beat yourself up. (Iguess virtual runs on trails in your mind don't count.) Too bad. I finished Week 2.5 Day 2 today and my heels did not hurt!

• mupt Rookie 11 posts since
    Apr 11, 2009
    95. Apr 23, 2009 7:51 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Hey all,

I finished W2D3 this morning.  I'm excited that I've made it through the first 2 weeks, but those 3 minute segments in week 3 have me scared.  I was planning on starting week 3 on Saturday, but I am now heading down to Kentucky tomorrow to see my grandma, who is very ill.  I'm going to pack my running gear and see if I can't find a park or trail to run while she's sleeping or something.  Hopefully, I can post again soon, but I'm not sure when I'll have access to a computer.

Have a great weekend everyone!

• cynthesis Expert 95 posts since
    Apr 7, 2009
    96. Apr 23, 2009 8:12 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Everyone is doing great!  It really helps keep me going to see all of you going from day to day and week to week.  For me, the mental aspect of completing this has been the hardest part.  You truly have to believe you can do it.

I put off running yesterday until late, so I ended up on the treadmill again.  I do find the treadmill harder on me, even though the hills aren't as big on it as what I typically run outdoors.  I guess that's incentive not to put off working out! 

Week 6, Day 2 is done!  This is the last time in the program you get a walk break.  From here on out, it's run 25 min. or more.  It's going to be tough, but I do think I'm ready for it.  And if I can do that, then I can do that 5K on May 10th!!!

5/10/2009 - Race for the Cure 5K 36:40
    9/27/09 - Great Race 10K
    11/01/2009 - Spirit of Pittsburgh Half Marathon
    01/17/2010 - Rock N Roll Arizona Half Marathon

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ravyn440 Expert 68 posts since
    Apr 18, 2009
    97. Apr 23, 2009 11:10 AM (in response to cynthesis)

cynthesis: You can definitely do it.  Once you get through W5D3 (which you've already done) you've proven to yourself that you can do the longer runs, and then it's all downhill from there (so to speak), and once you finish W6D3, W7 is really no big deal. Who needs walk breaks anyway?!  =)

Did W7D2 this morning, and while there's still that point around minute 15 where I question my sanity, overall, I have to say that it's not that bad.

• maeberryboo Amateur 117 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    98. Apr 23, 2009 11:34 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Hi everyone, today is my off day so no running but I did have a question.  Has anyone switched from going by time to going by distance?  I am doing it by time right now but I am thinking about switching to distance around W3.  I run very slow so if I only go by time I will never be able to complete my goal of running a 5K.  Has anyone else thought about this?  Thanks, have a great day!

• LittleCaryn Rookie 23 posts since
    Apr 9, 2009
    99. Apr 23, 2009 12:24 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Hi, all.  Looks like everyone's starting to enjoy the spring weather.  It's turning out beautiful here in Cincinnati!

I missed a day early in the week, and didn't quite feel up to starting W5.  I did W4D1 yesterday, and I'll do D2 tomorrow.  Yesterday's run was great!  I took a different route, and found myself running uphill with a headwind during the first half of the run.  But I was able to make it easily through the running segments without stopping.  And the downhill on the way back was a breeze!  I checked my breathing by talking to the squirrels, and sure enough they thought I was a nut...

I've signed up for a 5K on Aug. 1, but there are a few more between now and then.  I'll look for one in June.  I'm hoping to get my speed up a little bit before I run another one.  I don't mind finishing toward the end of the pack, but I'd like to move to the middle.

52 Years old; getting younger with every step! Cincinnati Heart Mini-Heart 5K, 03/29/09 - 41.31

Starting Weight - 214; Current Weight - 187; Goal Weight - 172

• CinnamonDolce Rookie 12 posts since
    Apr 20, 2009
    101. Apr 23, 2009 1:31 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

jivetoke

<span class="jive-thread-reply-body-container">Sorry you are sick, Cinnamon!</div>

Thank you! I'm feeling much better. I'm hoping it was a viral thing. But I DID go for a run today!! It may not of been my best or my fastest run, but I got out there and did it! I'm so proud. I thought those last 5 minutes were going to be the end of me but it helped that I was listening to some really good music on that last half.

I'm thinking I should repeat a day for W4 before I fully move onto W5. I'm on W4D2 now, but I really want to be comfortable with the longer time frame of running before moving onto W5. Especially since during that week (W5), I'll be  running 5 min intervals and on the last day run for 20 minutes.

Everyone is doing great!! It's so inspiring to hear how many of us have put our minds to it and gotten out there!! WTG everyone!

Message was edited by: CinnamonDolce b/c I can't get the stupid quote thingy to work. Grrr!

• Demiking Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 23, 2009
    102. Apr 23, 2009 2:48 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Hi my name is Damaris and I have walked the JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge for the last three years and decided to try to run it this year.  I started running on Wednesday somewhat following the tips I learned from this website.  I say somewhat because I am pretty bad of keeping track of my progress while I run.  Today I ran/walked one mile in 15 minutes.  I am excited about tomorrow's run.

• FrancesRe Rookie 92 posts since
    Mar 19, 2009
    103. Apr 24, 2009 6:05 AM (in response to maeberryboo)

maeberryboo wrote:Hi everyone, today is my off day so no running but I did have a question. Has anyone switched from going by time to going by distance? I am doing it by time right now but I am thinking about switching to distance around W3. I run very slow so if I only go by time I will never be able to complete my goal of running a 5K. Has anyone else thought about this? Thanks, have a great day!&lt;/quote&gt;

I run by time, but it's kind of the same thing. Just increase your time until it matches the distance you want it to cover. That way you are still running time, but you cover your 5K. I cover over 5K distance every time I go out. I'm still walking more than you all on the group here, but I go out for over an hour

Run/Walk/Run.........................Started 3-19-09
    5K, 5/3/09 39:45
    5K, 7/25/09 37:50

• chr1svee Pro 96 posts since
    Apr 17, 2009
    104. Apr 23, 2009 5:28 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

W2D2 complete -- woo hoo!!  The burning in my ankles didn't start quite as soon and it stopped before I finished, so that's progress!  I was able to run a bit faster tonight as well, so I didn't feel quite so s-l-o-w.  I felt so good at the end of the 20 minutes that I tried a 3 minute run to see if I could do it -- and I did!  So I'm feeling very awesome tonight.  Hopefully D3 on Saturday will go as well.

C25K started on 06/19/11 and completed on 08/22/11!

8/6/11 -- Inaugural Harrisburg Hydro 5k Walk/Run (not timed)

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...