Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

19091 Views 174 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2009 8:25 PM by DeterminedRose Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 12 Previous Next
  • ERALinda Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 27, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Apr 27, 2009 1:52 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)
    Re: * * * Spring Starters 4/26 - 5/2 * * *

Just started

• MN Grandma Pro 224 posts since
    Mar 30, 2009
    16. Apr 27, 2009 1:57 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Rose - with a full time job, 3 kids, AND a smiley update project every week, you get more than an AMEN!!!  You get the biggest "YOU GO GIRL" ever!!!    Carol

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to  RUN  in the rain. (courtesy of Coach Will)

Started C25K on April 3, 2009
    GRADUATED C25K ON JUNE 7, 2009  

TIME TO FLY 5K    JUNE 27, 2009    38:22

• cynthesis Expert 95 posts since
    Apr 7, 2009
    17. Apr 27, 2009 5:10 PM (in response to Kerrster)

I'm glad you were able to finish Week 6, Kerrster. I, on the other hand, had my first epic fail on Week 6, Day 3. 

It was Saturday, and I planned my route beforehand, because I knew I would need to go a little further and didn't want to end up on some of the super-killer hills we have in the neighborhood.  I took water with me, since it was pretty warm out, and I wasn't used to it.  I felt pretty good, and figured I would conquer this run just like I did the 20 min. run.  The first five minutes were bad as usual.  I've come to expect that and didn't think much of it.  After a couple more minutes though, I started feeling extra terrible.  I kept going anyway.  Then, at about minute 10, my vision started narrowing, and I knew I had to walk.  I walked for a minute, felt pretty good, so I ran again but only lasted a couple minutes.  Walked another minute, then ran the whole downhill portion for another 7 minutes.  Then it was walk 1 min., run 1 min. for the last 5 min.

Unlike other runs, I felt tremendously awful at the end of this and didn't feel better for the rest of the evening.  I think it was a combination of the heat, hormones, and something else.  I ended up laying around all day Sunday, feeling miserable.

I don't feel great today, but I'm going to give it another try.

5/10/2009 - Race for the Cure 5K 36:40
    9/27/09 - Great Race 10K
    11/01/2009 - Spirit of Pittsburgh Half Marathon
    01/17/2010 - Rock N Roll Arizona Half Marathon

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Jacqueline28762 Amateur 41 posts since
    Apr 22, 2009
    18. Apr 27, 2009 5:17 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

I'm so glad you said the smileys are only partially updated because I have finished my first week and finished W2D1 today! I'll be out first thing Wednesday for my next run. Can't wait until my first full smiley face is there on the screen.

• digitalmuse66 Amateur 77 posts since
    Mar 27, 2009
    19. Apr 27, 2009 5:28 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

just getting back from the gym. I am actually on week 2 and i guess today would be week 2 day 4? or week 2 day 3A?? whatever it is Tonight's run was decent and I again ran most of the way home.

Tomorrow is a crosstrain day will most likely do 20 minutes on the recumbent bike and depending on how crowded the gym (equipment) is will do another 20 minutes on either the amt or the arc trainer and weight train afterwards.

Chase Corporate Challenge 5K - June 11, 2009

Take Your Base 5K - June 27th, 2009

Percy Sutton Harlem 5K - August 22nd, 2009

Susan Komen - Race For The Cure - September 13th, 2009

Mar 30, 2009
    20. Apr 27, 2009 5:59 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

I did W4D1 today.  It was great!  I was really dreading that 5 minute run, but it went pretty smooth.  I do notice that I'm a little sore, so tomorrow will be a jazzercise only day. 

Keep up the good work everyone.  It helps to read the great stories of people who have completed what you're afraid of.  show that we can all do it!!

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to  RUN  in the rain. (courtesy of Coach Will)

• Carrie18830 Rookie 8 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009
    21. Apr 27, 2009 6:05 PM (in response to MN Grandma)

Hey Everyone!  I finished Week One this past Saturday.  I am planning on starting W2D1 tonight.  I am traveling but there is a gym in the hotel....here's hoping it isn't too crowded!

Y'all are doing great & are an inspiration to people like me who are still early in the program...:D

• chr1svee Pro 96 posts since
    Apr 17, 2009
    22. Apr 27, 2009 6:28 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

I did W3D1 today.  I was surprised because it was easier than I expected.  I really didn't think I could run 3 minutes but I did.  The second set I ended up doing 5 minutes because I felt so great. I didn't have much in the way of pain.  However, tonight I'm sore behind the ankles in the Achilles tendon area.  We'll see how I feel after a night's rest.

I'm off to WDW and won't be posting for over a week, so I wish the best of luck to everyone.  By the time I come back, I'll be in W4!

C25K started on 06/19/11 and completed on 08/22/11!

8/6/11 -- Inaugural Harrisburg Hydro 5k Walk/Run (not timed)

• Noahkitty Rookie 25 posts since
    Apr 18, 2009
    23. Apr 27, 2009 6:45 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Hi All-

Just wanted to check in.  I completed W2D1 tonight.  I ran in my neighborhood today, which was new for me.  I am usually at a resevoir with a dirt/gravel ground cover.  At home I was on the paved road.  I was curious if it would feel any different.  I didn't notice too much, except my knees hurt a little more than usual.  Still feeling good though.  I was so psyched that I actually could do the 90 sec. run.  I didn't stop early once...yay me!! 

Rose~  Thank you so much for doing those smileys.  I am so looking forward to my first one.  I think it is great that you take the time to encourage us in that way.  This thread has been completely inspiring!!

Cynthesis~  I hope you're feeling better soon.  I can't imagine being where you are in the program.  You pushed through the workout, even if it wasn't the "prescribed" one.  You will be up to it soon.  Good luck!

~Carolyn

• cynthesis Expert 95 posts since
    Apr 7, 2009
    24. Apr 27, 2009 6:48 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

I tried Week 6, Day 3 again tonight, and this time I did it!!!  Wooooooohooooooo!!!

I opted to go treadmill in the nice, cool basement instead of outside in the still hot "what the heck happened to Spring" weather.  It's supposed to cool down later this week, so I hope to be back outside on Wednesday to start Week 7.  I'm pretty excited now!

It is so cool to see everyone moving right along and sticking with it.  It has sure made it easier on me to know all of you are doing this too.  Thank you for being my virtual workout buddies!  

5/10/2009 - Race for the Cure 5K 36:40
    9/27/09 - Great Race 10K
    11/01/2009 - Spirit of Pittsburgh Half Marathon
    01/17/2010 - Rock N Roll Arizona Half Marathon

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Mariamou Amateur 67 posts since
    Apr 25, 2009
    25. Apr 27, 2009 7:26 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Just finished W1D2 tonight and feel good!!!  Does anybody else do extra cardio after the workout?

Graduated C25K 06/26/2009

Mar 30, 2009
    26. Apr 27, 2009 7:42 PM (in response to Mariamou)

Mariamou, I do jazzercise 3 days a week, and sometimes come home and run after that, but that takes a toll on this old body (I'll be 57 in July), so I try to do only one or the other.  Tonight was a run night - W4D1, and those 2 five minute jogs were tough.  I'm feeling it tonight.

• Mariamou Amateur 67 posts since
    Apr 25, 2009
    27. Apr 27, 2009 8:05 PM (in response to MN Grandma)

thank you.  I jog on the treadmill mostly and find at least now that I feel that I don't get enough. I guess I should just tell myself not to listen to that as I know it will get tougher as I progress.  I know I shouldn't push myself but just get too much into the workout zone....

Graduated C25K 06/26/2009

• srolivas Rookie 19 posts since
    Mar 30, 2009
    28. Apr 27, 2009 9:04 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Determinedrose,

I am just checking in to wish you good luck on your 5K this weekend. I am still on injured reserve. The cast is on for two and a half more weeks and hopefully I am a go after that. There are two options when the cast comes off I am either good to go or I am having surgery. I will keep you posted! 

• Running Momma4 Rookie 56 posts since
    Mar 25, 2009
    29. Apr 28, 2009 4:42 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Wow! There are a TON of folks on this thread now!! I love it!

I am on week 8 now and have my first race on the 2cd....I feel like I am ready but I am still a bit nervous!

It looks like everyone is doing great with the program...just hang in there it gets better and you will feel great

• I get 8 smilies!!! :0 :0   ********** WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!!

1 2 3 4 ... 12 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...