Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

21823 Views 254 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2009 5:55 AM by SierraLauren RSS Go to original post 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 Previous Next
  • ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    240. Apr 29, 2009 5:26 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - April

Morning all,

Welcome aboard Alex.  Yes, we might be a bit more serious about running on this thread.

10.5 sluggish miles in the hills this morning.  Still recuperating.

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    241. Apr 29, 2009 5:52 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Thanks Fred. It sounds like you had a good, long hike, or walk one day on top of the running. That pic you posted: the Point Lobos portion of the run looked like that. I've been there but without any cars, it was serene and beautiful.

3 recovery miles Monday. Made myself do it. Pretty fatigued yesterday, no run.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    242. Apr 29, 2009 9:26 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Tigger, that update is encouraging, and I especially think that hill workout with walking back down will be beneficial.  Great to hear from you.  Loved that washing machine line!

Sierra, we know here how well you run, and it was pretty clear you were more focused on the group run than you were on putting the hammer down.  So despite that, you did pretty well.  The rest of you know Ileneforward who posts on the other forums and used to post here.  She ran the entire marathon and reported that it was windy too.  I hate running in wind.  Nice going Sierra.

Simon, it sounds like you just persevered through that rainy and cold half.  Good you got to spend time with your son that way.

Today I took Riblet to school, walked over to his school track, set my stuff down, did a 2.5 mile warm-up, picked up my stuff, walked to the car and drove home.  Some days you have it, and some days you don't.  I didn't expect to be tired today but I was.  Here is my week so far:   Sunday:   8 easy Monday:   3.5 easy Tuesday:  5 easy Wednesday:  3 slow, followed by flex/core workout at the Y  (jogged .5 at the Y)   I am going back to the track tomorrow and try it again.  Spareribs

• alexbelisle Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 3, 2009
    244. Apr 29, 2009 2:43 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Rest day for me. After 3 consecutive hard days: a "Ribs" workout (run to race, race, run home), plus 2 doubles and I'm shot. Being 60 sucks!

Alex

"Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral."
    Dec 14, 2007
    245. Apr 30, 2009 9:41 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Made up for my aborted track workout yesterday.  Today I achieved my initial goal to get to 6 x 800 with a 200 jog recovery, nice and easy though.  My aim is to get this to 6 x 1000 by the fall, little by little converting the 800's to oneK's.

Off to Chicago to work all day there tomorrow.    Spareribs

Dec 31, 2008
    246. Apr 30, 2009 6:20 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Thanks Ribs, very much. Glad you had a better workout today. There are days when you know there's nothing you can do but to pack it in. Have a good trip.

KS, sounds like you're still very much in recovery. I'm wondering how long to wait before doing a half-marathon--there's one coming up in June, which may be too soon, not sure. It's a trail run, so hilly. The others I'm thinking about are in November (Big Sur and Santa Barbara).

Now, if I can just figure out how this "avatar" stuff works here---I need a picture that doesn't squash me when I upload at the required pixals.

Welcome Alex.

I feel like this week should be an easy one because of the race effort. So, today I'll walk three miles just as soon as I walk the dog. Yesterday was 4.2, easy. So, so far 18.2 for the week. Tomorrow I'll go 6 or 7.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    247. Apr 30, 2009 6:43 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Sierra - I wouldn't think June would be a problem to run a half marathon given you don't do a lot of "A" racing between now and then.

Yes, I'm still sort of a recovery mode.  5.75 ez this morning and 5.75 brisk tonight. 

Dec 31, 2008
    248. May 2, 2009 4:37 AM (in response to ksrunr)

I think I will consider that trail half-marathon, KS. It's the Trail Crest Half Marathon, held in Santa Monica Mountains Nat'l Recreation Area. I'm feeling OK this week. 5.5 miles yesterday on the roads and fields at work. I'm always glad when I can run more than 5 miles at work. My left hamstring is feeling stiff (not painful really.) I think this is due to stretching a little a few weeks ago after a run. I haven't stretched for years, so I think that was a mistake. The stiffness, though, is waning with each passing day. On the 9 mile run, I didn't feel it at all (until the next day).

Though it's the smallest picture imaginable, my avatar pic is from the Big Sur marathon, though it's not during the 9 mile race. I was running with my co-worker (for encouragement, though I don't think he needed any) in the last mile of the marathon. I have a smile on my face because I finished the 9 mile run an hour before, and that great crowd was still there at the end. One day soon I'll dust off my photobucket skills and post more discernable pics.

One interesting thing about my race that day is that the Garmin 405 watch, as I've read elsewhere, recorded less distance than I actually ran (9 miles.) It was slightly more than a quarter mile off. The time exactly matched (I was right at the start line). I've read that the watch records less distance if there are turns on a course. I've wondered why my pace during my daily runs doesn't correspond very well to the final time and # of miles. It does make sense when taking into account that the watch could be off a quarter mile off or so.

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    249. May 2, 2009 4:52 AM (in response to SierraLauren)

It's good to hear that you are feeling good, Lauren. What is it like running in the "fields"? That hamstring should heal up pretty quick. I'd be glad to see more pics of Big Sur. (They don't have to be Galen Rowell quality).:)

I am off to the mountains.

Paul

Dec 14, 2007
    250. May 2, 2009 8:19 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Sierra, you might try updating the Garmin software by downloading and reinstalling the latest version.  I have no experience with this, but others on the running forums are always encouraged to do that with similar problems.

No running for me yesterday as I was in Chicago filming a training video.  Hard project and a long day, but it was probably my best professional work.  Spareribs

Dec 14, 2007
    251. May 3, 2009 1:26 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Exhausted from that session on Friday, I went out yesterday to run and stumbled around for 1.1 miles and walked back to the car and went home.

Today I went out for a LR and managed 16 very smooth miles in around 2-1/2 hours.  That's my longest P.S.   Spareribs

Dec 31, 2008
    252. May 3, 2009 2:08 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Ribs, a May thread was started and replied over there. --

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    253. May 3, 2009 8:26 PM (in response to fred-urie)

I beat my previous, personal record today. I don't know what my chip time is yet, but my gun time is 47:00 for the May Day Race 10K. I came in first in my age category. This was my first race at altitude. I think I can break 46 minutes next month at my 10K in Middleborough, MA.

Paul

Dec 31, 2008
    254. May 4, 2009 5:55 AM (in response to Imgellin)

Paul, a new month of May thread for "50 plus.." was started, so people are no longer posting here. You may want to copy your post about your race and post it there.

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...