Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

804 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2009 9:15 AM by kerryanncan RSS
kerryanncan Rookie 3 posts since
Nov 18, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 28, 2009 8:43 PM

EIA Exercise Induced Anaphlaxis

okay so I have been running for quite some time.... I am about to run my 5th marathon on sunday.  But have been dealing with what my doctor is calling an Exercise induced allergy.  my only symptom is hives.  I only break out after about 7 miles.  all my maintenace runs leave me unaffected but as soon as I go over 7 miles I get all hot and itchy.  the concern is that I will go into anaphlactic shock and not be able to breathe..... it's only been going on for about 5 weeks, and each time I run my 10 miles I my hives get a little more intense and last a little longer.

I need to run this race on sunday... too much time and energy has gone into it, to stop because of hives!!  I'm bummed out and am looking for any advice.

• cpa0217 Pro 79 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 29, 2009 5:38 AM (in response to kerryanncan)
    Re: EIA Exercise Induced Anaphlaxis

I have a similar issue with hives, but for me, it's more of temperature thing.  After winter, when it begins to get warmer outside, I break out in hives at the end of every single run.  It's almost unbearable.  After a few weeks (once I'm acclimated to the higher temps), it goes away until the next year.  I have never been able to find anyone who can tell me why this happens or if there is anything I can do to prevent it.  Maybe someone on this forum can help us both.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...