Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2225 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2009 7:35 AM by sosala1 RSS
esky80 Amateur 24 posts since
Mar 7, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 28, 2009 2:50 PM

calf muscle

I am running in my first 5k ever and have been training a lot for it, everything was going fine until this morning, i had 1/2 a mile to go and felt a tightness in my calf, i said to myself, just finish it, now my calf muscle is pretty sore, my race is in 4 days, any advise as to what i should do?

• MandyB555 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 27, 2009
    1. Apr 28, 2009 3:20 PM (in response to esky80)
    Re: calf muscle

Ice it, stretch it and rest it!  Wrap it if you need to on your next run, if it's still hurting.  Make sure to drink LOTS of water too, and eat some bananas (potassium).  When all else fails, always remember RICE:  Rest Ice Compression Elevate.  Good luck!

• Active Giselle Active.com Staff 21 posts since
    Jun 4, 2008
    2. Apr 28, 2009 4:10 PM (in response to esky80)

Congrats on your training and signing up for your first 5K! Sorry to hear about your calf muscle :(. I have been recovering from the same thing. Since you're under a time crunch until race day, here are a few tips you can get on quick:

*RICE* -- Your standard Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation treatment will work wonders. Icing it with a pack around the clock (20 minutes on and off) really helped me out.

*GET A MASSAGE* -- I would highly recommend this, preferably sports recovery massage if you can. Make sure it does not include tapotement, which can make your injury worse. A licensed masseuse will know what he/she is doing. The massage will really help alleviate the tightness and improve circulation.

*LIGHT STRETCHING* --  Calf raises and stretches (depending on your pain level) can help loosen up the tight muscles. Take it easy and do what you are able, if anything.

*SEE A DOCTOR/PHYSICAL THERAPIST* -- Depending on your coverage, it could be hard to get an appt in the next few days. But if you are able to, have a professional take a look. That is ideal. You will get a knowledgeable sense of your injury--for better or worse.

Good luck! Dealing with this stuff is all part of the process, as I am learning myself. And honestly, depending on how bad the pain and your calf strain/pull/injury is, you may not be able to make your 5K this weekend. The EXACT same thing happened to me. I injured my calf muscle 3 days before the Carlsbad 5000 earlier this month. I had been registered since September and was really looking forward to it. But the pain was just too much and I couldn't run. In the end you have to listen to your body. There will be other 5Ks out there to run.

Keep us posted! Here's to a speedy recovery 

• MandyB555 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 27, 2009
    5. Apr 29, 2009 7:27 AM (in response to esky80)

I'm glad it felt better!  Just make sure to keep stretching it and really listen to your body.  The poster after me is right - there will always be more 5ks to run if you can't make this one!  You don't want to push something and end up seriously injuring yourself.  So just be smart and keep icing, stretching and compressing (wrapping) it when you run.  As for the clothes, I have found the best thing to do when running in colder climates is to layer!  That way you can shed the layers as you need to throughout the run as your temperature rises!  Good luck and keep us posted!

• Active Giselle Active.com Staff 21 posts since
    Jun 4, 2008
    6. Apr 29, 2009 4:04 PM (in response to esky80)

Glad to hear you were able to run! That is huge 

I know what you mean about the pressure to not be a failure when people know you are doing a race! It's good though because they help keep you accountable. And if you're injured, people understand. Hopefully you will be good to go.

Keep us posted!

• melissa 52795 Expert 50 posts since
    Apr 25, 2009
    7. May 1, 2009 12:27 PM (in response to esky80)

Thank you for posting this question and all the suggestions!  I'm experiencing the same thing.  My race is a week from tomorrow. 

Good luck,

• sosala1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 30, 2009
    9. May 2, 2009 7:35 AM (in response to esky80)

I have experienced calf strains in both calves while marathon training. They typically come without warning, but on the last one I had, I felt definite tightness in my calf. I kept running, I was doing a tempo run, and it popped! I was down for a week, did R.I.C.E. immediately, and missed a couple of days for work. I ran a 30k 10 days later, way too premature, and ended up really messing up my foot. My foot strike was compensating for the lack of flexibility in my calf and I bruised my peroneal tendon and started developing plantar fasciitis. To sum it up, if it's hurting, reduce your mileage and traiining and rest. I also started using Zensah compression sleeves for my calf. They have been great keeping my my calves warm and have helped with my recovery. I use them more often now during training, especially on my long runs.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...