Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1128 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2006 5:32 PM by TrailFun2 RSS
scott23034 Rookie 8 posts since
Feb 28, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 1, 2006 8:28 AM

Mt. Washington

How hard is this race and what would the training schedule look like. I've ran Boston and numerous races over the past three years and was just curious.

• BPetzold Rookie 9 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    1. Mar 1, 2006 1:53 PM (in response to scott23034)
    Re: Mt. Washington

Its probably the most difficult 7.6 mile race youll ever find.

Last years winner,Simon Gutierrez, did it in 1:00:54...
    This guy run's 5 min miles in a marathon... His pace for Mt Washignton was 8:20.

Look at last years results
    http://www.coolrunning.com/results/05/nh/Jun18_MtWash_set1.shtml[/URL" target="_blank">

It looks like the average times would be in the 1:50's-2:00...
    Thats a 16:40 pace... I can easily walk faster than that!

• Arrojo070 Amateur 273 posts since
    Apr 4, 2001
    3. Mar 1, 2006 2:14 PM (in response to scott23034)

It is a crazy race.  Pacing is all out of whack.  I ran it and my first mile was 11 minutes.  Seemed like a reasonable pace.  Hah!   When I do it again, I'll go out more slowly.  Your finish time is around your half marathon pace.  And yes, most people were walking the 2nd half of the race.

Some veterans there told me the best way to train for this is on a treadmill.  Set it to the highest setting and don't lower it.  Much better than doing a bunch of hill repeats.

• NHSenior Legend 387 posts since
    Nov 23, 2007
    4. Dec 20, 2007 9:42 PM (in response to scott23034)

quote:

Originally posted by scott23:

How hard is this race and what would the training schedule look like. I've ran Boston and numerous races over the past three years and was just curious.

It's a darn tough race and one that probably engenders more "why am I doing this?" thoughts than almost any other race you will do.

The "tough" is just breathing and energy. You may find it hard to lift your leg but it won't hurt. Hardly ever is there the mechanical fatigue that leads to the "wall".

The Mt Washington differences are almost all posititive.

The venue is fantastic

The post race is great, few leave right away.

The race does not beat you up.

In every step your foot is landing a few inches higher than where it left the ground so there is NO pounding. Recovery, if you even need it, is amazingly fast.

I ran my first MW at age 55, left the race and drove 3 hours to a wedding in Maine and danced until 11PM. Normally I'll take any excuse not to dance so much.

For running shoes, even I, who needs plenty of cushioning can feel real comfortable in a 7oz racing shoe. There is no need to drag a heavy shoe up that hill.

I said "almost all posititive". The weather at the top can be extrodiarily nasty for June. It can be beyond anything you can imagine.

If it's warm, you don't have a breath of air until you start to clear the tree line at mile 3+. It is not normally warm.

Once near the top, if warned of the possibility, you will be VERY glad you tied a long sleeve something around your waist and carried a very light pair of gloves. Chance are 1 in 3 leaning toward 1 in 2 that you should not just run with only a singlet or short sleeved shirt.

If at times you think you see people walking faster than you are running, take the clue and start walking for a bit. Some people get into that "I have to run and not walk", but on MW they will be lifting their leg vertically and not going forward so they are working hard and going nowhere. Walk a bit then run until your leg lift is just vertical again.

It actually funny to watch some people. They almost look like they are running in place (because they are)

Oh, and the first mile is steeper than anything else except for a short stretch at mile 6 and the final 100 yards. If you try to run too fast in the first mile, you'll be sorry.

I run it every year. It is the place to be that weekend.

[http://This message has been edited by NHSenior (edited Mar-01-2006).|http://This message has been edited by NHSenior (edited Mar-01-2006).]

• 4426 Rookie 85 posts since
    May 14, 2004
    6. Mar 3, 2006 8:26 AM (in response to scott23034)

I don't know about any training program for this. I did it in 98 after my best marathon 250. I was a hill fiend and could take anyone on. I bs'd my way in by saying I could beat Eric Morse any day on the hill.

I was in the lead pack for 1 mile. I finished 33rd. It was a humbling experience and no I did not beat Eric. He got 4th that year.

You will pass elites who drop out which is cool. You will walk faster than you run at times. You will be hot and dry, wet and cold, and if the wind blows be careful.

It's only one hill so it can't be that bad, right. Good luck I wish I was doing it again.

• VioletVinko Rookie 12 posts since
    Mar 2, 2006
    7. Mar 3, 2006 9:00 AM (in response to scott23034)

Here's a good mile by mile description of the race, with photos:

http://www.whitemountainmilers.com/washington/washington.html[/URL" target="_blank">

• Eric Cahill Rookie 8 posts since
    Jan 30, 2006
    8. Mar 3, 2006 10:23 AM (in response to scott23034)

I ran Mt Washington last year and loved it.  Everyone  told me to figure on my 1/2 marathon time and I came within about 10 minutes of that so at least in my case it was pretty accurate.  Some were running and walking.  One guy carried the flag on what looked like a very heavy flag pole.  I noticed this as he passed me at about 3 miles or so...

A point of pride for me was to run the whole way as I was told to count on walking some. Though I should say that there were some run/walkers passing me at different points in the course so take that for what it's worth. I fell in with an unknown lady the last 3 miles or so. She'd slow down to a walk and I'd pass her. She'd start running, catch up and move a bit ahead. We seemed to stay in sight of each other and urged each other on. We stayed together up to the last wall where I saw my wife, heard the announcer urging people on and gave one last strong push. My wife got two great pics of me coming up and two more from behind on this last +20%grade. She framed them in a vertical frame and it looks great, at least IMHO...

I'll say this about the race. I ran Boston for the first time a couple of months before, suffered and didn't do as well as I had thought based on my training. I was WAY more jacked about finishing this race than the Boston Marathon. It's just crazy enough to be cool. If we hadn't moved to Kentucky, I'd be trying to get an entry for sure.

eric

• kltilton076 Rookie 5 posts since
    Oct 6, 2002
    9. Dec 20, 2007 9:42 PM (in response to scott23034)

My emphasis for training for Mt. Washington is mostly on strength and endurance. I just try to get as many miles in during the winter as possible, then come April or May try to start doing some long tempos or fartleks. If you have the chance to run on the auto road before the race I recommend doing it at least once. If you don't have that luxury, running on a treadmill at 10-12% grade certainly helps. Just try to get your body used to running uphill for a long period of time. I usually do the NE Mountain Running Series races to get ready too. Here's a link to the race series site:

http://www.usatfne.org/trail/index.html[/URL" target="_blank">

If you have any other questions feel free to e-mail me at mtgoat@whitemountainmilers.com

Kevin

----

Professional Mountain Goat[/URL" target="_blank">

[http://This message has been edited by kltilton (edited Mar-04-2006).|http://This message has been edited by kltilton (edited Mar-04-2006).]

• Joerunner5000 Amateur 22 posts since
    Mar 3, 2006
    10. Mar 6, 2006 11:06 PM (in response to scott23034)

Where can I get more Information on the race?  Can you still enter?

• ReelTrouble Rookie 8 posts since
    Mar 1, 2004
    11. Mar 6, 2006 11:30 PM (in response to scott23034)

According to the website for theMount Washington[/URL" target="_blank"> race, it is still possible to enter the lottery. You can enter the lottery from March 1 to March 15. Good luck if you choose to do it as this looks just a little too crazy for me this year.

• TrailFun2 Rookie 98 posts since
    Jan 10, 2006
    12. Mar 9, 2006 5:32 PM (in response to scott23034)

I entered the lottery and hopefully will be running to celebrate my 10th high school reunion (which is later that night...)  Travelling from Colorado for this.  The summit of Mt Washington is actually lower than the river elevation in the valley of the town I live in now.  But I grew up in NH and know that this is decieving.  Just a neat stat on Elevation.  I look forward to the challenge.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...