Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

22271 Views 196 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2009 7:40 AM by motherof2sweeties RSS 1 2 3 ... 14 Previous Next
DeterminedRose Pro 239 posts since
Mar 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 8, 2009 5:43 PM

* * * Spring Starters 5/3 - 5/9 * * *

Good Morning All C25Kers!

This is your brand new weekly thread!

Come one, come all, everyone is welcome! Post and introduce yourself. See the next post for some helpful information.

Please check to see that your emoticon is correct, I will update smileys on Wednesday, so post your updates on how you are doing!!!!!!!! We are all on different weeks, so post even if you haven't started yet!

Smileys (Smilies?) for the week for every week completed and a means they are working on their first week or have yet to start )

Running Momma4

ravyn440

cynthesis

Kerrster

aolss

MasterGardener

hillcityjosh

LittleCaryn

cinlo

RebGuy

madvinegal

Gmaxwell39

MN Grandma

alaskagirl

Tinkeymoe/Heidi

yogamum

CinnamonDolce

Determined Rose/Rose

tconfer

tbird17

ucbcat

chr1svee

maeberryboo

mackus

chloeishere

lehuagirl

digitalmuse66

mupt

RebGirl

Noahkitty/Carolyn

Jacqueline 28762

Polarhug

Mikel52

MN Brian

Mariamou

RyzinEnagy

carrie18830

FrancesRe

ERALinda

MED TENT

srolivas

NEW MEMBERS LAST WEEK - GLAD TO SEE YOU BACK!

Cjames8010

tracyrhymer1979

willnotfail

Bluetopaz

grover8

Magsolicious

Lola_b

ThisBroadsTrying

ChixOr

pinkpetal

mandydax

Sarah812

sayhellotofrogs

NEW MEMBERS SO FAR THIS WEEK - WELCOME!!

PastorScott2007

Nitsur

pigskinprincess

Betzle

mnsusiek

kevee

Michael.

gatapp

Btapp

ernieh109

astarrc

motherof2sweetie

HAVE NOT POSTED THIS WEEK - WE MISS YOU!

Cristancanoe

Debralous

Demaris/Demiking

dgabsch

hawkiman

insanitybeckons

lissarose

purpleshoes

runRorun/Rochelle

Stephs80

tgcunningham

threpeat - doing RR-C25K

althearose, we miss you!

38 y/o Married, Mom of 3, work full time. Started C25K 3/22/09. Weight loss goal: 70 lbs overall. Current weight loss 30 lbs.

Pitter Pat 5K 3/14/09 (walking) 53:18
Lean Green 5K 4/4/09 (walk/run) 49:22
May Day 5K 5/2/09 (run/walk) 42.41
Kitchen Run 5/9/09 (run/walk just a widdle) 42 and change

Bass Pro Halloween Run 10/31/09  (run/walk)

• digitalmuse66 Amateur 77 posts since
    Mar 27, 2009
    2. May 3, 2009 8:22 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)
    Re: * * * Spring Starters 5/3 - 5/9 * * *

lol i literally JUST posted to last weeks thread and this one popped right up afterwards lol

Chase Corporate Challenge 5K - June 11, 2009

Take Your Base 5K - June 27th, 2009

Percy Sutton Harlem 5K - August 22nd, 2009

Susan Komen - Race For The Cure - September 13th, 2009

• digitalmuse66 Amateur 77 posts since
    Mar 27, 2009
    3. May 3, 2009 8:27 PM (in response to digitalmuse66)

**REPOST**  caught the tail end of last weeks thread so decided to post this here...

Just checking in with update and review. I picked up a nike + sensor on

Friday and couldn't wait to set it up and use it. little did I know

when i picked it up the amount of mileage I had been putting in on a

daily basis. I mean I knew what I was doing at the gym on the

treadmill, but I walk from home to the trainstation every day (and

back) and I also walk from the train station to my office and the home

segment is about a 15 min walk and the station to work is about a 13

min walk. I never realized the distance - until I get the sensor and it

does make a world of difference.

Now I know its not 100% accurate - and I wound up goggling and yahoo

map checking the distances against what the nike+ sensor was coming up

with and i have to say its not off by hardly any. The walking segment

from the trainstation to my home is 0.65 miles. The path from my home

to the gym(which i also walk every time i go to the gym) is .51 mi each

way - with a nasty/nifty incline the last block and a half.

Now these all might not sound like much until you realize on a regular

day say monday, im walking to the trainstation in the morning, walking

from the train station to the office.....reverse the process in the

evening and then am walking/jogging to the gym at night(round trip) and

three nights a week im running couch 2 5k.

I had thought I hit a wall with working out because while i initially

dropped a few pounds - it seemed like nothing else was happening. I

also was frustrated about being a little low on energy - until i

started calculating how many miles im putting in during the course of a

week... which also led me to contemplate how much I have been eating

and lightbulb....lol

I say all this to say - tracking is very HELPFUL - be it via a heart rate monitor etc.

I am supposed to start week 3  day 1 monday

Chase Corporate Challenge 5K - June 11, 2009

Take Your Base 5K - June 27th, 2009

Percy Sutton Harlem 5K - August 22nd, 2009

Susan Komen - Race For The Cure - September 13th, 2009

• ravyn440 Expert 68 posts since
    Apr 18, 2009
    5. May 3, 2009 10:00 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Week 8, that's a wrap.  Finished W8D3 earlier this evening, and overall it felt pretty good - particularly the first 1.5 miles. I still have yet to make 2.5 miles on any of these runs, but I assume that it will happen eventually.

What do I do when I'm not running?  I study tai chi on an irregular basis, play a lot of Rock Band 2, and spend way too much time sitting at this desk.  Work-wise, I'm a technology consultant, I run my own business, and I work from home - which means that a good portion of my work time is spent fighting with the cats who would like nothing better to do that block my monitors with their large, furry butts.

I don't really know what inspired me to start running.  I used to hate it.  Funny how that works out, I guess.

• PastorScott2007 Rookie 6 posts since
    May 3, 2009
    6. May 3, 2009 10:29 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Evening all,... A Newbie to this board,...but I saw it and said this would be an awesome help. For background: I am 38, 39 on the 15th of May. I have just finished W2D3 and on my way towards week three. Four Goals for the program; 1.) Lose 50lbs,...currently 6'1, 234 (started at 239), and since I put on weight, my knees and overall energy levels went south. 2.) I am a minister, who has been preaching for a long time that we need to treat our bodies as a temple,...yet I chose to treat it as if it was a "Taco Temple"...I gotta start being honest with myself. 3.) I want to run a 5K in my hometown in August, which seems like a far off, barely attainable goal as I sit on the couch icing my knees and 4.) I want to live to 130...We can dream cant we?

The program has been a struggle,...fighting with each step,...and that 3min run seems like a pipe dream now...but we will see.

Love the support and encouragement I see, and hopefully it will keep me going.

Thanks, S.

• mandydax Rookie 24 posts since
    Apr 30, 2009
    7. May 4, 2009 12:56 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

I think I must have pushed too hard with the running bits for W1D1 on Friday.  I was supposed to do W1D2 on Sunday, but I was still supersore. I did manage to take a bike ride (4.5miles), which helped a little, but was just not able to get out to run.  I'm not gonna stop, though. I am gonna get out today, and take it a bit less aggressively.  It's been in the 50-60s so I've been getting earaches. I'll see about covering my ears better and see if it helps.  Music helps a lot, tho

HeartBeat 5000 5K - 29-Jun-09
  • RebGuy Amateur 72 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009
    8. May 4, 2009 3:47 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

W5D2  is done.  Wow, who knew 8  minutes could be so long.  I listen to my IPod but my mind keeps thinking about the time.  I am hoping I will get over that.  Overall though, I feel pretty good after the workout.

As far as when I am not running.  I am a teacher.  I teach grades 6-8 gifted classes.  It is the best job in the world.  My students are so unique and creative, sure some times they can be a pain in the rear end.  I mean just imagine your normal middle schooler, then imagine that same level of immaturity with a brain that can think of creative ways to express their immaturity.

I am married to RebGirl who is also doing the program.   She did W3D2 yesterday, she just doesn't post as much as I do.  We have two wonderful sons that I talked about in a post last week.  By the way the Reb in RebGuy and RebGirl, refers to the University of Mississippi, Ole Miss Rebels, it is where I went to college and we love our Rebels.

I started running because my oldest son got into in.  He never trained for running, he plays select soccer and his coach runs him a lot, so he and a teammate signed up for a 5k and both of them got trophies and finished in under 28 minutes.  He has been doing it for about a year now, and I decided that I needed to do it with him.

Happy Running to all.

• Running Momma4 Rookie 56 posts since
    Mar 25, 2009
    9. May 4, 2009 4:29 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Running Momma? .......Here!

Rebguy, I have 2 that are "gifted" (one is in middle school).....they keep me way to busy! NOTHING gets by them!!! Hahaha......My kids werent SUPPOSED to be smarter than me!!!

I am a Cosmetologist (for 16 yrs now) I am also a makeup artist . I did my training with Paul Mitchel for makeup.....I love making people feel good about themselves!!!!! I am not in a salon right now, My hubby and I feel like its important for me to be home with the boys. I have quite a few people that still come to my home to get their hair done though.........I am 35 and I have three boys 13, 11, 6 ( I say I have 4 because of the 44yr old ....heehee) My family is a blast, its crazy busy here and loud!!

I got up to run this morning but my knee is bothering me... I think it needs a break!! No running for me today I do have a really cool Pilates dvd I want to do.........I also like to do p90x, sometimes on non running days I will just take a walk. What things do you all do on your non running days?

• FrancesRe Rookie 92 posts since
    Mar 19, 2009
    10. May 4, 2009 4:32 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Look at all those Smileys !! This group has grown and is still growing. Welcome to all the Newer Faces and thanks for sticking around.

I did Walk/Jog on Sunday 4/27, got shin splints enough to take off the remainder of the week. Well, Weds I walked less than 10 minutes, Thursday I walked about 10 minutes, and Friday I walk/jogged about 17 minutes (one mile). And I took Saturday off.

Sunday 5/3 I entered my first 5K.  I was just going to mostly walk it, walk/jog/whatever, but after the first mile marker, I decided to give it a go, see what it was all about.     I still can only jog in spurts of 20 or  30 or 40-seconds, so I don't know I will ever be able to do the C25K (sustained running)  but I did walk/jog my way to the finish line.  Major accomplishment for a newly recovering ten-year couch potato !   Time was 39:45

Keep up the good work.  Until recently, the farthest I could walk was out to get the mail

Run/Walk/Run.........................Started 3-19-09
    5K, 5/3/09 39:45
    5K, 7/25/09 37:50

• Gmaxwell39 Amateur 43 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009
    11. May 4, 2009 5:05 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Hi all, i LOVE seeing all the smileys! thank you Rose!!  I'm up to do W5D1 later today, I've decided to do my runs mid day from now on as it seems to go much better .  . .

I am running to get in better shape, and because I turn, gasp, 40 in ONE WEEK, eek. My main goal though is a 5K in september to raise funds for my best friend's son . .  he's 7. My friend died in December of leukemia, a mere 6 weeks after going into the doc for what she thought was a sinus infection. that still blows my mind. so fast . . . so when the 5 k was announced I knew I had to do it. ( I have since also signed up for one in June with a friend as I thought the Sept goal was too far away!)

I'm a work at home mom of 2 girls, 6 and 8. I am a freelance graphic designer, started working out of my home about 14 years ago and it's been the perfect flexible lifestyle to do it all . . . juggling yes, but I can still be in my kids classrooms every week as a volunteer (and occasionally be sucked into the PTA vortex). (and I also fight my cat's "help" daily! lol) Since my youngest started kindy this year I've had a lot more time for ME and thus in September started walking an hour every morning when they got on the bus.

Happy Monday everyone!!

*I'm signed up for my first 5K! 28th Annual Waterfront Festival 10K/5K, June 20, Alexandria, Virginia.*
  • cinlo Rookie 63 posts since
    Apr 18, 2008
    12. May 4, 2009 5:13 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

I just finished W5D1! My face is still red 45 min. later! I am so intimidated by the 20 min. run coming up. I think I can get through the 8 min. runs for Day 2 though. I'm resolving to cut my calories this week and be more accountable for what I'm eating! I want to make this program pay off in more ways than one.

• aolss Rookie 38 posts since
    Apr 27, 2009
    13. May 4, 2009 5:18 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

"Question for the next few days (this is always so interesting to me...) What do you do when you are not running? Are you a banker, stay at home mom, teacher? What inspired you to run? "

I'm 35 and have three girls - 10, 6, and 2.  By day, I'm a lab supervisor at a large state university and coordinate two chemistry lab courses with about 1000 students per semester and approximately 20 teaching assistants.  I've thought about running at various points over the years but never could get motivated.  There were a lot of things that collided this time that have kept me motivated - stress relief, needing to exercise but couldn't get to a gym due to schedule issues (already had a treadmill at home), wanting to show my girls an example of being active, and wanting to lose weight (although I haven't lost a pound after 6 weeks).

• Carrie18830 Rookie 8 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009
    14. May 4, 2009 5:41 AM (in response to aolss)

Hi All -

So the good news is - I finished W1 and started on W2 but then traveled last week so I fell off the band wagon....so I guess I am starting on W2D1 Version 2 .  Does this mean I still get 1 smiley for finishing W1?

I missed working out last week so I am thinking that is a good sign.  Oh and I am looking for my first 5K in July/August for more motiviation.

Big time -- YAHOO!!! for all those who kept running thru last week.

1 2 3 ... 14 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...