Skip navigation

3259 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2010 6:57 PM by J_McInturf RSS
marinbarclay Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 15, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 29, 2009 1:13 PM

I am a super sweater.

I am a super sweater. I have a layer of salt on me every time I work out.  I've heard some people eat those salt packets from McDonalds.  I am worried that if I get that much salt I will dehydrate while I am running.   How important is salt as I am working out?  Is this safe? Any advice?

• Nutrition Tara Community Moderator 41 posts since
    Jul 17, 2007
    1. May 8, 2009 1:08 PM (in response to marinbarclay)
    Re: I am a super sweater.

Sodium is critical when working out.  It is basically a regulator of how much fluid is in the body at a given time and is directly related to the body's ability to perform.  A slight deficency in sodium can result in fatigue or muscle soreness and a severe deficency will result in a condition known as hyponatremia.  Unless you are doing endurance activity outside in the heat I would recommend starting with an electrolyte drink to help replenish your sodium.  My favorite is Nuun (www.nuun.com).  It is higher in sodium than many electrolyte drinks and comes in tablet form so it's easy to use.  You can probably get it through their website or I know you can get it at www.rei.com.

Have fun!

tara

"Courage doesn't always roar, sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

www.taracoleman.com

• Optimal Nutrition Inc. Amateur 30 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    2. Aug 21, 2009 9:47 PM (in response to Nutrition Tara)

I like Nuun tablets as well.

Sodium will not dehydrate you - quite the opposite, it helps your body retain water (among other roles).  Salt packets are a cheap way to get some sodium chloride, but I have used and I do recommend salt capsules (more complete electrolytes than just salt).  I like Salt Stick, Thermolytes, or Lava Salts.  Comparing the capsules to dissolve-able tablets (like Nuun) it really comes down to preference and convenience; both will get the job done, just depends on what is easier for you to take with you on runs/rides and what your stomach prefers. 

Keep in mind, though, that electrolyte tablets and capsules do not provide adequate carbohydrate for extended exercise.

Justin

www.optimalnutritioninc.com

Justin Robinson, MA,RD,CSSD,CSCS
    Consultant - Optimal Nutrition

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    3. Sep 8, 2009 6:26 PM (in response to marinbarclay)

I sweat significantly when I run also, I look like I fell in a pool. Remember the better condition you achieve the more you'll sweat, not the less. You have to take into consideration the type, duration and intensity of the workouts. If you're talking about 1 hour or less, taking extra salt isn't warranted. For longer runs or bike rides I use Gatorade, the sugar helps speed rehydration. Workout in an air-conditioned environment or at cooler times of day. You can increase water storage body having extra carbs the night before or earlier in the day before your workout. For every gram of sugar your body stores it stores 3 grams of water. Remember if you have hypertension or are borderline extra salt intake should be avoided.

Personal Trainer Studio City

• Optimal Nutrition Inc. Amateur 30 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    4. Sep 8, 2009 9:56 PM (in response to ultimatehlth)

Just to add a note - for "salty" sweaters I recommend about a 2:1 sodium to Calorie ratio (with sodium in mg).  So if you shoot for 200 Calories per hour (recommended for endurance events), try to get 400mg of sodium.  That's a good starting point, adjust from there based on overall feeling, stomach upset, cramping, and thirst.

And good point "Ultimate" that carbohydrate loading (increasing muscle glycogen) can increase water storage.  When doing so, it might not be a bad idea to get a little extra sodium the day before a long race to aid in the "water loading."

Justin Robinson, MA,RD,CSSD,CSCS
    Consultant - Optimal Nutrition

• FrankieAmons Amateur 17 posts since
    Sep 4, 2009
    5. Sep 10, 2009 5:03 PM (in response to marinbarclay)

What do you mean by a layer of salt on you?  You actually put salt on yourself?  Sorry, I'm a noob and have not heard of this before.

• Mkassowitz Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 7, 2010
    6. Oct 7, 2010 2:22 PM (in response to marinbarclay)

The natural inclination of many people sweating a lot in workouts is to rehydrate with sports drinks to get the necessary electrolytes and such. The problem is that most are missing a key ingredient: http://naturalvitalitysports.com/2010/02/sports-drinks-the-missing-ingredient/

• J_McInturf Amateur 19 posts since
    Jan 1, 2009
    7. Nov 16, 2010 6:57 PM (in response to marinbarclay)

I'm a pretty easy sweater too. I have had pretty good luck taking in fluids every 10 minutes or so while training in FL in the summer time. I continue with this program all year though. I've found that taking supplements from Hammer Nutrition has helped me. I don't typically drink Gatorade during a long training run or ride, the sweetness tends to upset my stomach a bit. I haven't tried the Nuun products yet, but plan to soon.

Good luck!!

Josh

"Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying"- Shawshank Redemption

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points