Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2022 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2009 1:49 PM by ultimatehlth
puma4656 Rookie 2 posts since
May 8, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 8, 2009 11:43 AM

losing weight but gaining inches?

I've been running for about 3 weeks straight now and have lost about 4-5lbs depending on the day. I recently measured myself becuase I feel huge, now i've lost 1 inch from my hips but gained 2 inches in my waist....does this make sense to anyone? I know some people say you get bigger before you get smaller becuase of building muscle mass but it just seems all backwards to actually gain inches in my waist if i'm losing it in my hips. Just kinda confused and hoping someone has an answer or any ideas for me. Also I have changed my diet to eat better it may not be everyday but most days so where is this coming from!?

• Nutrition Tara Community Moderator 41 posts since
    Jul 17, 2007
    1. May 8, 2009 1:13 PM (in response to puma4656)
    Re: losing weight but gaining inches?

Oh man, that's frustrating!  How have you changed your diet?  Sometimes when we make dietary changes (even healthy ones) the initial result is a little extra gas and bloating.  This is especially true with the addition of fruits and vegetables.  If this is the case, it should go away pretty quickly as your body acclimates to the new routine.

"Courage doesn't always roar, sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

www.taracoleman.com

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    3. Aug 17, 2009 1:49 PM (in response to puma4656)
    Re: losing weight but gaining inches?

When you measure yourself always measure at the same time of day and try to use a point of reference. I use the belly button as a point on my clients, its a larger measurement than the waist which I measure also, but it makes for a fool proof to recreate reference point. That being said, Its totally possible that you're experiencing intestinal bloat. Journal your foods to make sure you haven't increased your caloric intake which is extremely common.

Weight loss Studio City/Toluca Lake

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...