Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1069 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: May 28, 2009 9:18 AM by clarketlc RSS
Yodiwan Pro 123 posts since
Oct 1, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 8, 2009 8:13 PM

Beware Austin's Town Lake Trail -- it's entirely concrete

About a month ago, I had to be in Austin for business the weekend I'd planned a 15-mile run.  Needless to say, I wasn't looking forward to hitting the hotel treadmill, so I was excited to try out the Town Lake Trail a friend had recommended.  It's a very picturesque 10-mile or so trail on both sides of the river (connected by bridges at several points) that is quite close to the downtown hotels and popular with locals.  Perfect.  Or so I thought, until it started raining.  The rain washed away the soil, at which point I realized the trail was constructed out of concrete (on top of which they'd placed about a millimeter of soil).  It probably doesn't make much of a difference for the dog walkers and casual joggers, but 13 miles on concrete left me with a raging case of plantar fasciitis in both feet.  A month later, I can barely walk.  (I'm pretty careful about my running -- form, shoes, varying workouts, etc. -- so even though I typically run 20-25 miles / week when not training, the last time I had to take off more than a couple days because of an injury was more than two years ago.)

Long story short, stay away from the Town Lake Trail for serious runs!

Somewhere in the world someone is training when you are not.  When you race him, he will win.

• clarketlc Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 13, 2007

As an Austinite, I am quite familiar with the Town Lake Trail. While there are portions of the Trail that are concrete, where washout is a problem,  the concrete sections are few and far between. The majority of the trail is crushed granite. Many Austin runners, including distance runners, run the Trail not just the casual walkers and dog walkers. Marathon training courses take place on the Trail. No better place to enjoy the beautiful Texas sunshine.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...