Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2972 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2009 10:28 PM by LiveHope
Mudiefeets Rookie 3 posts since
May 9, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 9, 2009 10:22 PM

Thigh/quad/hip pain

Someone help please!!!!

I am training for a 10k that is just a couple weeks away and I have done well thus far but over the last two or three weeks have developed an pain in my left leg. It hurts mainly in the front of my quad but seems as though it may come down from my hip flexors. The inner thigh hurts sometimes as well, wrapping around to the front of my thigh.

It hurts most upon impact and when putting weight on it; specifically when my foot is actually coming down and meets the ground while running and lately, even while walking. It is not a sharp pain but more of a throb or intense soreness. Also, while sitting or kneeling if there is pressure put on the bottom of my leg and my feet are not supported, the pain on the top of the leg is excruciating.

I have taken to attempting to strengthen the muscles on this leg and doing a lot more stretching and warming up before a run but that hasn't seemed to help. A friend suggested perhaps I have strained the muscle but even after a week off, as soon as I started running again it was back. Oddly enough, usually after I get going on a run, the pain more or less goes away for the bulk of the distance until the end again.

Heat makes it feel better rather than cold and sometimes after a run it is hurting even when I do not move. I have tried massage and that actually seems to cause the pain to flare up more the day after.

So - I have not seen any posts like this out there nor can I find something similar on the web... any ideas on what this is or how to treat???

I don't want to have to stop running ! I don't want to have to forgo the 10k either after all the time spent training.

• LiveHope Rookie 7 posts since
    May 6, 2009
    1. May 14, 2009 9:20 PM (in response to Mudiefeets)
    Re: Thigh/quad/hip pain

Hi,

See my post here" Quadriceps Pull -Inner to Mid Upper Leg Pain". What you describe is similar to what I am dealing with.

I have cut down my runs and been stretching more with hope this "quad/hip" pain would go as it came. I tried to do a 3 mile run this evening, but the pain remains. As I run more the pain seems to be less ?  If I sit, there is no pain. if I put all my weight on the right leg, I feel some mild pain.

This is going on about two weeks. I am registered for a local 5K on Sunday, however...I don't know whether I should push it. I am doing some mild stretches and hope it works its way out.

If not, I guess I will have a sports doc give it a check?   Let me know how you make out ?

• kymmerz Rookie 2 posts since
    May 22, 2009
    3. May 22, 2009 7:35 AM (in response to Mudiefeets)

Hi-

I'm very new to this (this is my first post) but I have exactly what you do... well almost. It start about a month ago.  I was training for Bloomsday and it's a 7.5 run with a good hill in it and 3 other not shabby hills.   So about 2 weeks before that I did a long run of 9 miles and felt great.  That night I went to lift my left leg over my right and had to grab it to move it, it hurt!  Rested for a day then went out on Monday and did 4 and it didn't hurt in my run but afterwards it was super sore again.  Skipping ahead, I did bloomsday and ever since then it still hurts and when I run I don't really get a terrible pain but I can't stride or run normal.  It has kind of forced me into a limp.  Very upsetting and I have 13 miles to do in 2 weeks for a relay team.  So I'd love to hear peoples responces.

• LiveHope Rookie 7 posts since
    May 6, 2009
    4. May 22, 2009 10:28 PM (in response to Mudiefeets)

Hi,

Hope your appointment with the sports med doc goes OK.  Was he/she able to diagnose the problem and treat it?

Thanks.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...