Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7938 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2009 3:19 PM by clarketlc RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Caseycenator1 Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 4, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

May 8, 2009 8:51 AM

Is it possible for me to run a 5K NOW when I can currently only do 7 mins

I have a 5K tomorrow that I signed up for a couple of months ago under the impression I could accelerate the Couck to 5K.  Is it possible for me to push myself so that I can run the whole thing? I have no background in running, but I am a 23 year old who can walk long distances.

Thanks!

Casey

• Mav550 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 8, 2009

Currently right now you can only sustain 7 full min of running? If that is the case, I do not believe that you will be able to run the whole thing. So if you feel like it is to much, do not force it cause you could get injured. For reference for you, I just ran the Broad Street 10 miler last weekend. It definitely was a pain in the butt, however, I only trained for a month and a half for it. I got my endurance up to where I could run 7 miles straight. I am 24 years old and I do keep inshape. I ended up running the whole 10 miles at a 10 min pace, the key IS pace. You need to pace yourself throughout the run, DO NOT go sprinting all over the place because you won't even make it the 7 min. Take your time and if you start to feel way to short of breath, stop and walk for a min or 2. As well, make sure you breathe in through your nose and out your mouth, this does help. Since it is only a 5k you should be okay if you just take your time. Have fun with it and GOOD LUCK! 

• tricks27 Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 16, 2008

Casey~

I say go for it!  You've already registered so you might as well get the t-shirt!  I am not a runner but I'm trying to become one.  I finished my first 5K last month and I sucked at it...43:38 was my final time.  But I did it all over again a month later.  I completed my second 5K last weekend and ran a 38:22.  Take it one step at a time.  Run until you can't run, walk until you catch your breath, then run some more.  The more you run, the quicker you're done (that's my new motto--might get it tattooed on my forearm!)

I also run with a friend--otherwise, I would quit halfway through.  Good luck!

Tammy

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008

Do the math yourself.  You can run for 7 minutes now.  A 5K will take you approximately 4-5 times that long depending on your speed.  If you want to run the whole thing, do YOU think you can run 4-5 times as long as you can run right now?  No one knows but you!  My gut reaction is that you probably won't be able to run the whole thing.  But if you are used to walking long distances, are young and in good shape, and can run nearly a mile right now, you can probably do a pretty good run/walk 5K.   You could possibly push yourself to run the whole thing but even if not, you will surely be able to do it soon - maybe the next 5K.  Good luck!

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007

If you can walk long distances (where "long" is anything more than about 3 miles) then you will be able to complete the 5K. There is no requirement that you sprint the entire distance. If you run part and walk/jog part of it, you will still finish, get the T-shirt and of course a well-deserved feeling of accomplishment. As for how fast - Generally there are no miracles when it comes to running and training. If you start out at the pace that you can sustain for 7 min, then after 7 min or thereabouts you will probably slow down to a jog or a walk (which is not the end of the world). If you start out at a somewhat slower intermediate pace, you may be able to complete the entire race at that speed.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• AndyJD Pro 143 posts since
    Feb 10, 2009

Hey Casey,

How'd your 5k go?  Were you able to run the whole thing?  Are you still motivated to continue running and might even try for somthing longer?  I hope it was a success!

~Andy

First marathon: 3:11:21......soooooooooooooooo close to Boston!  Next time.......

Boston and NYC Marathons 2011 or bust!

http://www.marathonmovie.com/home.html

• 1106fox Rookie 1 posts since
    May 12, 2009

No, It's impossible, can't be done. You should probably go have a beer on the couch, and watch some tv.

• klasmom5 Pro 150 posts since
    May 3, 2009

you sound like my husband...negative nancy...

that leads me to a good question...does anyone have nonsupportive family members.  my husband will give me the time to go work out and run, but has a negative attitude about my running goals.  It is really discouraging.  any suggestions or anyone having this issue?

Now, if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing.  You have to make the mind run the body.  Never let the body tell the mind what to do.  The body will always give up.  It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night.  But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.

~George S. Patton

• strangerthanfitness Pro 120 posts since
    Dec 3, 2008

Man Marrykb this thread reminds me of a post you made a few weeks ago...

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007

strangerthanfitness wrote:

Man Marrykb this thread reminds me of a post you made a few weeks ago...

One significant difference however: The earlier post, as I recall, was primarily about new runners underestimating the difficulty of scaling up to marathon distances. But this current post is about getting to the 5K distance.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• strangerthanfitness Pro 120 posts since
    Dec 3, 2008

I just dont think its a good idea to ever encourage someone to increase there time/distance by ~5X in one day.

• pgbgce Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 10, 2009

no that's highly improbable and you'll be miserable trying.

Start out VERY slowly and  walk for 1 minute after 3 minutes of a slow jog and again after another 3 minutes a of a slow jog. Pick up pace if you'd like walking for a minute every 3-4 minutes and you'll be fine. You'll finish faster than you would if you tried to run without stopping...GUARANTEED.

Good Luck.

• osu9791 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 24, 2009

I say go for it. What you can do is run for a few minutes and then walk. Try alternating this and work on building your endurance. Everybody has start somewhere. Don't give up and just work on putting in 30 minutes a day if possible. The 5k is a nice length and you will get thru it. Don't worry about the time just enjoy your time. I ran in the Race for the Cure in Columbus Ohio and it was inspiring to see all the survivors of breast cancer getting out and walking or running.

I hope this helps.

Jeff

• hope89 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 5, 2009

I think you can do it!!! I did a 5k with little training, I could only run about 3/4 of a mile before I felt like I was going to die. So on race day I was really scared but I said to my self "I'm going to finish, I will not walk, and I will not come in last." But I finished, I wasn't last (however, I got passed by speed walkers), and I didn't walk. It was a long and slow race I got a time of 47:09 or something like that.

Training started Feb. 2009 First 5k Mar. '09 - 34:09 5k Apr. '09 - 32:12 5k May '09 - 31:50 5k May '09 - 30:37 5k May '09 - 33:47 Five 5k's in four months of starting running. Seven Mile race in June, and more 5k's to come!
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...