Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1225 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2009 3:06 PM by Doodis RSS
kboutdoorfun Amateur 15 posts since
May 13, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 13, 2009 7:09 AM

Week 5 C25k, need advice.

I just completed Week 5, day 2.  My question is what happened to day 3!!??  Am I really supposed to run 20 mins solid?  It just does not seem to fit the other days of gradual increase.  I am a first time runner and am really enjoying myself because I feel like I have accomplished something. The posts from others have really helped me.  I am glad to know it was not just me that thought week one was awful.  To everyone just starting, hang in there, it does get easier.   But back to my original problem, did eveyone really run 20.  I have thought about jogging 8 mins, walking 5 and then jogging 10.  Suggestions please.

• Fielding15 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 13, 2009
    1. May 13, 2009 7:29 AM (in response to kboutdoorfun)
    Re: Week 5 C25k, need advice.

I just finished this week and yes, you really run 20 minutes.  It was hard, but I did it without stopping.  I'd at least try it.

My thoughts are - trust the program - it's been around for years and lots and lots of people have followed it - they are the experts, not me!

• newrunnerat40 Rookie 3 posts since
    May 5, 2009
    2. May 13, 2009 8:41 AM (in response to kboutdoorfun)

YOU CAN DO IT!!!  Yes, you have to push yourself hard and you will probably want to stop, but you really can run 20 minutes without stopping!  I did it last friday!  Try to get into the mindframe before your run that you will run for 20 minutes straight and see how it goes...Week six starts out slower and works up to a 25 minute run.

Good luck!

• Jog4theNog Rookie 1 posts since
    May 13, 2009
    3. May 13, 2009 8:46 AM (in response to kboutdoorfun)

You'll find that you're a lot fitter than you think.  I was very skeptical but found it easy! I didn't check the time until I knew it was nearly over and that made it a lot easier.  Also knowing you only have one run helps coz u know that once you've it done your finished for the evening!

• Graciemygirl Rookie 27 posts since
    Apr 12, 2005
    4. May 13, 2009 12:32 PM (in response to kboutdoorfun)

I started out on the C25k about 4 years ago and I am running a Half Marathon (13.1miles) this weekend on my 40th birthday!

...YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Angie Drew 
  • StillPlugginAway Expert 564 posts since
    Dec 3, 2007
    5. May 14, 2009 4:49 AM (in response to Graciemygirl)

It's been said already but yes set out to run the 20 straight.  Most of it will be in your head saying I can't do this, I'm tired, I want to stop.  Ignore that voice - that voice is not your friend!!  LOL - seriously though running is a lot of ignoring that voice and the runs get easier.  There are many runs for me that still start out with me hearing that voice saying why are you doing this??  The feeling you get when you complete your first 5K or half-marathon or marathon will make it all worth while - I promise.  Wearing pants you couldn't fit into before - makes it all worthwhile too.   I never ran and did C25K in 4/07 and in 4/08 I ran the Boston Marathon for a charity - it can be done - trust the program!  I wish you the best of luck and let us know how you do!! 

• NicH2 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 16, 2009
    6. May 16, 2009 10:24 AM (in response to kboutdoorfun)

Three days ago, my friend and I said exactly the same thing to each other!! We were convinced that it was too early to do 20mins straight and were planning to try just 10 minutes and then walk for a few minutes and then do another 10 minutes. But to our amazement, we went out and did 20mins with no break! I think it is a question of mind over matter.

Looking forward to going back to shorter distances for the next session though!

Good luck!!

• Doodis Rookie 16 posts since
    Apr 20, 2009
    7. May 17, 2009 3:06 PM (in response to NicH2)

I just finished week 4 and before I started it, I thought it was looking pretty scary. I managed to get through it without a problem so I'm trusting that I'll be able to get through the rest of the weeks if I keep a positive attitude. Here's hoping all goes well with week 5!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...