Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7902 Views 53 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2009 4:51 AM by JoeInTX Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Cara_26.2 Pro 711 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. May 13, 2009 8:43 AM (in response to misswendy!)
    Re: 1/2 Marathon Trainers, Week of May 10th

Hey everyone,

Only got a few minutes to my next meeting so gotta make this a quick one!

Did a home strength workout last night with 20 mins on the bike then weights. This morning was 4.5 miles easy (although it felt pretty tough!) It was drizzly and not nice out plus DH was making breakfast so I cut it short from the 6 I had originally planned. Tomorrow will be a rest day for running, but I have my weights class.

Meg - nice 5 miler and good pace too. That weights class sounds like fun! I like that sore feeling after a tough workout...

Runjr - Hope you had a good run yesterday... does that mean you are resting today Any tips for a first time marathoner only a couple weeks out from starting training???

Lorie - I had a dog experience on Sat that I forgot to say... I was running up a path alongside a house, and this large dog came running at me barking and not happy that I was close to his property. There was a small fence between us, but it looked like it was willing and more than capable of jumping it. When I stopped moving he was ok, but went for me whenever I moved... Ended up having to call over the owner and get her to deal with it... otherwise i'd have been there all day! great job on the 10.5!

Jill - so pleased that you have found a new trainer that works for you! I would love to have that myself, but just cant justify the cost of it right now... Good luck with the triathlon training!

Runthe#s - great 7 miles with sprints... those are fun! I think changing round the strength workouts can make a real difference sometimes so enjoy it!

Macd - Nice doze in the morning... I nearly did that too hence why I missed out on 1.5 miles The metabolic workout sounds pretty good. I think I am ready to add something more to keep me interested and would love it to be plyometric based and not using much equipment!

Misswendy - Fab pace on the speedwork! I can't imagine breaking a 7mm! I am just about starting to break 8 on hard speedwork and that feels pretty quick to me   Hope the scales behave, or at least they are out the other way to make you feel good !!!

OK -  got through that pretty quick so i don't need to be late to the meeting!!!

Happy running all,

Cara

PR's

18/04/2010 Brighton Marathon: 4:23:45

21/02/2010 Sussex Beacon Half Marathon: 1:51:30

• Graciemygirl Rookie 27 posts since
    Apr 12, 2005
    31. May 13, 2009 12:45 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

man...I wish I would have discovered this a long time ago!

I am running my first half this weekend for my 40th birthday...I am getting crazy nervous!  I wish I would have had all of you to bounce ideas off of this entire time.  So cool to see all of your accomplishments...I am looking forward to posting some of my own. 

I do have a question...I have shin splints on my left leg I have not run much at all thru my taper these past couple of weeks just to try and give my leg a chance to make it thru the run on Sunday.  Any tips on strategy to just finish!?  I know I am not going do a PR or anything I just want to finish.  I am a slow runner to begin with.  I just really want to run the whole thing and not have to walk.  I know it is a tough question to answer...just fishin' for anything that will help me thru it.

Thanks for your input...good luck to you all!

Angie Drew 
  • runjr Legend 912 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    32. May 13, 2009 3:40 PM (in response to Graciemygirl)

hi all for sure a cross train or rest day.  Rainy and cold here today. 

runthe#s - the lighter weight shoes that I have been using for tempo and racing still offer decent cushioning.  They will wear faster because of the weight reduction there is typically a little less cushion and pads as well as they are more flexible.  I will not wear racing flats or real racing shoes.   For you since you are using the Inspire I would look into the following, Asics DS trainer 14 (new update, looks great), Nike zoom elite 4 (popular), mizuno elixir 4 (nice shoe), saucony tangent, or new balance 904.  (I am sure there are more) Try them around the store.  This category is considered performance stability. Hope that helps, remember test them out before you race in them.

macd - that is typical for me as well, roll over and sleep. I typically run in the early evening because of that.  Glad to hear the hip is doing better. Is DD#2 almost finished with her semester?

misswendy - lol on the 10 marathons. Two per year max, so I need to cut out the ice cream.  Rest day today so only fruit tonight...????

cara - the only advise I can give you is to try to stick as close as you can to the plan.  You will learn quite a bit about yourself.  Those long runs are actually not too bad.  I would take only two bottles on your belt and place some water bottles out somewhere to refill.  I used to carry 4 bottles but it got too heavy and weighed me down to much.  If this training plan results in a new PR for me I will share what I did different.

angie - no real tips for shin splints from me..... just be careful.  I would rather you end up walking that hurting yourself worse.  Welcome! We all look forward to your posts.

take care all.

PR's:
    Susan Komen Race For The cure 5k......... 21:11
    Striders Milwaukee HM ....................... .1:37
    Indy Monumental Marathon ...................3:30 BQ

• snorth100 Legend 293 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    34. May 14, 2009 6:23 AM (in response to JoeInTX)

Good morning, all:  Finally starting to recover from my hard drive crash 1.5 weeks ago!!  As a result, yesterday I had to get productive and get some work done...couldn't do any shout outs and now I'm waaaaay behind...

Since I'm home all week, I've been able to stick to my planned workout schedule!   R5/W1 x 5 on Monday; Tuesday was strength work and a 30 min walk with DDog; Wednesday was R5/W1 x 6; this morning was an early pilates class (5:30) following by a 45 min walk with DDog.  Tomorrow will be another run - R5/W1 x 7.  Inserts are working great - I think I'm past my foot pain problem!  Been running hills as often as possible - which around here is all the time!!  In fact on Sunday I plan to rerun the route that nearly killed me a couple of weeks ago - well, only one loop, not two!!

Chuck:  nice sunset pic!  Must have been wonderful to see it live! 

Jill:  glad you like your new trainer.  Just shows that something good can come out of something that you thought was bad...;)

Macd:  I'm going to research that metabolic workout - it sounds great and something I can do at home, as I gave up my gym membership and bought my own kettlebells (already had weights)!  So now always looking for ways to mix it up a bit...

Kukri:  I think pushups count as strength training!!  I still do them from my knees...talk about a wimp!

Wendy:  Glad to hear the scale is behaving...  I was worried about gaining weight, as I'd heard a lot of people say they gained while training.  But, I've tried not to let myself go wild and eat healthy stuff when hungry.  So far, so good - in fact, I think I've lost a pound or two!  It is true that you get real hungry when you ramp up the workouts!!  Great speed work!!  Someday I'll do speed work...  lol.

Megan:  love walking lunges!  I'll have to try that leg lift tip...

Massgirl:  I hope someday I reach the point where I run an extra couple of miles just cause it feels good!!  You'll be all set for the RTR on the 24th!  Too bad about the dog attack - I usually glare at the owner of any dog that misbehaves.  Which is really funny since I own a Jack Russell who doesn't know the meaning of the word behave...

Runthe#'s:  I admire your dedication to get out that early.  I work from home (when I'm not traveling) so while I get up early, I don't have a deadline that motivates me to get out early.  I do get out there, but only after I've had a couple of cups of tea!

Chamblin:  Definitely worth it to cut workout short for a good breakfast - particularly prepared by someone else!!   Sorry about your dog experience....it can definitely be scary running into a strange, large dog.  I had a near run-in with a Doberman a couple of years ago that I still shudder about - fortunately, he was a well-behaved Dobie and once his owner realized what was going on, he called him back.  But for a few moments it was frightening...

Angie:  welcome!  You will get lots of response to your questions on this site!!  As for shin splints, I understand they are usually the result of over-use, so it would be good not to push it before your race, but you shouldn't stop running/walking entirely between now and the race.  They will go away as your legs get more used to the running.  Try an exaggerated toe lift as you run/walk - I've heard that can help.  Good luck on your race!  I agree with the run/walk suggestion - that's what I plan to do for my half on 5/24. 

Sorry for anyone I missed.  Beautiful day here in Maine - too bad I have to go to the dentist to get a crown done    I hope you all have a good day!

Sue

• macd019 Pro 709 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    35. May 14, 2009 6:36 AM (in response to snorth100)

Good morning all! We had to drop my car off for a new tire this morning, so I started a speed interval workout on the TM while DH was showering... only did .6mi before he was ready to go, so after dropping the car off, he dropped me part way home (didn't want to run on the highway) and ran the rest of the way home... which only ended up being 1.21mi, so it was a pretty short day. I still don't have much energy/stamina, but hopefully it will come back if I keep working at it. I did a couple miles on the TM and a 20-min upper body workout last night, so that may have contributed to my sluggishness this morning. That, humidity, and low carbs... take your pick, lol.

misswendy, awesome to break 7 min!! Especially in a sauna! Glad to hear your weight gain was a fluke. You are so well prepared for your race!

Cara, I would cut my run short if DH was making breakfast too! Although in my case I'd probably die of shock first, lol. Here's the link to that metabolic workout - http://figureathlete.tmuscle.com/article/training/get_off_the_treadmill_and_get_metabolic&cr=   I am going to try to do it twice/week as recommended, but all the jumping is hard on my legs.

Angie, welcome! For the shin splints, I would recommend lots of calf stretching and toe tapping, and making sure your shoes aren't too worn - though you don't want to be wearing brand new ones in a race, either. Good luck, and be sure to report back!

runjr, did you rest? I got in some TM and weights last night so hopefully made up for the short morning run. DD#2 finishes tomorrow, and we decided to go visit her on Sat. She has sounded very stressed about finals and her board exam (6/11), so we thought she could use a break. How about your DD?

joe, welcome back I have been having major problems with IE crashing this week (required for a couple apps we run at work) - I can relate.

Sue, glad to hear you've sorted out your foot pain. Sounds like the running is going well - I bet you find that route easier! See my post to Cara for the metabolic link. She has a newer one I think that calls for kettlebells.

Happy running all!

• kukri Amateur 104 posts since
    Oct 2, 2008
    36. May 14, 2009 7:54 AM (in response to macd019)

second run of official half-marathon training plan was this morning:

3.51miles; 33:15minutes; 9:27 pace

maintenance miles I guess? easy run. maybe should've gone faster and worked harder? didn't. think this is roughly the pace I want to run the half anyway- so may as well get used to running that speed? spent the last mile+ contemplating how/if I could juggle time/schedule around a puppy... 'cause I periodically have dog envy & saw a book yesterday on matching people to dogs based on breed characteristic comparison to people personality tests... totally didn't notice the last third of my run having happy fantasies about a dog to run with and wondering whether I could throw a frisbee for a puppy and call it cross-training and if I could get a running stroller to fit a puppy and if that would be brilliant for until it's old enough to do the milage with me, y'know, like run it a mile then push it for the next couple miles and work up to more time running and less pushing a stroller as the puppy gets bigger and better at running type of thing...

• misswendy! Legend 1,056 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    37. May 14, 2009 8:12 AM (in response to kukri)

hey yall

4 + miles today, i forgot to reset garmin and i am too lazy to subtract decimals at the moment. also cut the yard. getting ready to go have coffee with dh.

cara...i hate those easy runs that feel tough!!! i only went that fast for 100meters.....

angie...welcome to our group! i think you will have a great 40th/first hm!!! that is amazing! dont worry about taking off the time, get to the start line in the best shape you can. you will surprise yourself! others on here may have better and more specific advice...

runjr...what is the forecast for your race? typically i am more hungry on rest day.

joe...good going in the gym. how boring to be at work and have no internet....

sue....i am always looking for an excuse to eat more. more miles = more hungry! sounds like you have it under control.

macd...thanks, i am glad scales were wacky too. because i needed a reality check. great job on thenew workouts! dh was just trying to make sure you had enough time between those speedy intervals. lol

kukri...good job on day 2!

love to all

• misswendy! Legend 1,056 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    38. May 15, 2009 6:53 AM (in response to misswendy!)

hey yall

i see no one posted since yesterday.

no running today, hoping to get some new gu to try out on a long run sunday, some new inserts, and if i'm lucky a new running bra...

• Cara_26.2 Pro 711 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    40. May 15, 2009 8:32 AM (in response to JoeInTX)

Hey everyone,

Quiet week this week - everyone must be out running instead of posting I did my weights class last night and i'm sure I will be feeling it later! This morning I ran an easy 5.5 but it still felt a little tough. Hopefully I will be meeting up with Spicegeek tomorrow afternoon for a run!

Angie - welcome to the group and good luck with your race this weekend. I would just say don't go out too quick and there is no harm in walking if you need to! You will do great!

Runjr - I think leaving water bottles out may be a problem for me... I don't think there'd still be there... or i'll get arrested for littering... or i'd have a 20 mile run to put them throughout the woods in the first place we shall see... it'll be a big learning curve for me!

Joe - Hope work is a bit quieter and you have time to post! And to get a run in of course...!

Sue - glad you are back up to speed with your hard drive and that you've had a good workout week! Hills will do you good! The thing with dogs if you don't know if they are all mouth or whether they would actually go for you... I know I won't be taking the chance... i'm taking DH with me next time we go past that dog

Macd - Thanks for the workout link... I will definitely be having a go at that one!

Kukri - Great job on day 2 of your training... Most of your runs should be done at easy pace (unless you are doing speed work) so slow is good. To give you an indication, to train for a 9:30 HM pace, you should run your easy runs at around 10:30 - 11:30 mm pace! I like the idea of the puppy!

Misswendy - seems you are talking to yourself on this thread Good job on the 4+ miles... enjoy the shopping!

Nearly the weekend for me now and i'm definitely looking forward to it!

Happy running all

Cara x

PR's

18/04/2010 Brighton Marathon: 4:23:45

21/02/2010 Sussex Beacon Half Marathon: 1:51:30

• cscmartin Expert 144 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    41. May 15, 2009 11:03 AM (in response to JoeInTX)

hey everyone,

i have a quick question.  does anyone use whey protein powder as a supplement?  does it  improve running? 

carmen

Carmen new2running08

2008 finished races

1st half on 5/4/08 2:11:50
    2nd half on 10/19/08 2:01:01

2009 finished races 

3rd half on 5/3/09 2:05:48

• runthenumbers Pro 160 posts since
    Sep 26, 2008
    42. May 15, 2009 2:51 PM (in response to cscmartin)

Hey Carmen:

I occassionally use whey powder as protein supplement.  Usually in a yogart/fruit/powder/ice smoothie the days I work late and have no time and don't want to eat a meal before my evening hours of xt classes.  It takes the hunger off yet I don't feel ugh like I just ate.  I'd rather eat protein from eggs, meat, etc, tho.  I don't think it hurts my running/cross training, but never thought about whether it improves it.

• sunshineangeljrs Pro 127 posts since
    Nov 16, 2008
    43. May 15, 2009 4:39 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

Happy Friday Everyone!!!

As you may or may not know, I started my Triathlon Training this week AND got a new trainer........and work was INSANE.......sorry my posts have been erratic.  I did all the training according to schedule, although I will admit jumbled up a bit; and of course, I was SUPPOSED to be off Monday, (wasn't )and was supposed to be off today, (didn't) although I took Thursday off instead; that makes it equal, right?  I have been DYING to run..................run like the wind.............but alas, I was INFORMED that I need to follow the TRAINING PLAN and not go off willy-nilly (who me?!) just because at this point I can do more.........SIGH.  15 minute runs......can you believe it?!  and they are supposed to be Run 1/Walk 1........EGADS!!!  Somebody shoot me!  tee hee.  Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  Don't tell my trainer, BUT (giggle) I did do the 15 minutes, BUT (this is the sneaky part) I ran the whole thing AND did intervals...........shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it's a SECRET.  I still feel the need to run, but I do feel a little better.  Tomorrow is swim and then Sunday is biking 5 miles...........when do I get into the real numbers????????  OH well, at least I got in weights and such, and hopefully a more productive week with my new trainer next week too.  2X with the new trainer, biking, swimming and a bit of running (maybe some extra running when no one is looking) and I will have a fabulous week.

Best of luck to all who are running this weekend.  I have a friend who is doing the Cleveland Marathon TWO WEEKS after the Pittsburgh Marathon.........do I know some crazy people or WHAT?!

Question on the whey protein.........I was told by a couple of my trainers that it is good to have a whey "shake" after a really tough work out/run.  It helps you recoup.

Happy weekend everyone!

Jill

• runjr Legend 912 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    44. May 15, 2009 5:03 PM (in response to sunshineangeljrs)

hi all, traveling a bit for work. Ran 6.2 last night with 6X100 strideouts and tonight a quick 3 as I was sitting too long all day and needed to stretch out the legs. Tomorrow an easy 5 and then 12 on Sunday.

macd - I did rest one day and only ran a quick 3 today. The stamina will return for you. DD just moved her stuff home today and left to visit friends for a few days. She finished her last exam today. Hopefully things go well for DD#2, tough schedule and all we have to worry about is getting a run in...lol and of course worry about them.

kukri - day two in the books and a few more since I last posted. They go by quick.

misswendy - 10 day forecast shows 80 degrees for my race, I am not too happy about that. 50 degrees here today.

joe - tomorrow run long and fast to provide relief from the tough week.

cara - you will do fine in your training. Meeting spicegeek for a run, hopefully she doesn't do her full workouts with you. That would be tough to get the water bottles out. We drive and place them along side the road near street signs. Maybe your DH will help out. Always carry an extra gel or energy source. I am actually liking the GU chomps as well. Sort of a soft chewy energy source.

jill - tough but great workout for you. Way to sneak out for the run!

take care all, good luck to our racers.

PR's:
    Susan Komen Race For The cure 5k......... 21:11
    Striders Milwaukee HM ....................... .1:37
    Indy Monumental Marathon ...................3:30 BQ

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...