Skip navigation

7419 Views 38 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2009 6:42 PM by Immer treu RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Charlie!2 Legend 1,128 posts since
    Jan 21, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. May 15, 2009 9:27 AM (in response to Courir26)
    Re: Fredericksburg! Fredericksburg!

    What pace are you two guys thinking of running this thing?  I might be able to run with you two for awhile. 

  • MikeDaMarine08 We're Not Worthy 2,498 posts since
    Aug 14, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. May 15, 2009 9:33 AM (in response to Courir26)
    Re: Fredericksburg! Fredericksburg!

     

     

     

    Courir26 wrote:

    Asics Running Galoches with spikes, raincoat, and umbrella it is! Humm, I might need to make a stop at VA Runner on Saturday.

     

    7:15? Either you're going to need to be REALLY fast or you should have plenty of time.

     

     

     

     

    I was thinking checking out VA runner as well.  PM of course.

     

     





    MCM '09, '10, '11

    Richmond Marathon '09

    RNR Arizona Marathon '10

    RNR Mardi Gras Marathon '10

    Shamrock Marathon '10, '12

    Frederick Marathon '10

    Madison Marathon '10

    1/2 Sauer 1/2 Kraut Marathon '10

    Baltimore Marathon '10

    Outer Banks Marathon '10

    Seashore 50K

    Houston '12

    Flying Pig '12

    Next Race - MCM Baby!!!!!!

  • Courir26 We're Not Worthy 1,968 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    17. May 15, 2009 10:08 AM (in response to Charlie!2)
    Re: Fredericksburg! Fredericksburg!
    Charlie!2 wrote:

    What pace are you two guys thinking of running this thing?  I might be able to run with you two for awhile. 

     

    Slumming, Charlie? Cool! My goal is 7:40/mile (BQ pace), slower on the uphills, faster on the downhills. If it's slippery, though, my goal pace will become "eh, whatever". Now to set my Garmin to display this as a pace.

  • x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    19. May 15, 2009 11:33 AM (in response to Courir26)
    Re: Fredericksburg! Fredericksburg!
    Courir26 wrote:
    Charlie!2 wrote:

    What pace are you two guys thinking of running this thing?  I might be able to run with you two for awhile. 

     

    Slumming, Charlie? Cool! My goal is 7:40/mile (BQ pace), slower on the uphills, faster on the downhills. If it's slippery, though, my goal pace will become "eh, whatever". Now to set my Garmin to display this as a pace.

     

    DO WHAT?!?!?   7:40?  Craig, you've run this course before!   My PR for this course is like 1:46 and the Blue & Gray series has me with a 1:47 and 1:48.  You're shooting for a solid PR at 1:40:20.  I am 95% positive I can't hang with that pace.   Good luck, snowman.  Wait for me at the finish.  I was looking at about an 8:00 pace or just under it.  With the new Garmin 405 I can set my virtual partner's pace and it will tell me how far ahead or behind I am.  Kind of cool.





    Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • MikeDaMarine08 We're Not Worthy 2,498 posts since
    Aug 14, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    20. May 15, 2009 11:40 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)
    Re: Fredericksburg! Fredericksburg!

     

    x_39_and_holding_x wrote:
    Courir26 wrote:
    Charlie!2 wrote:

    What pace are you two guys thinking of running this thing? I might be able to run with you two for awhile.

    Slumming, Charlie? Cool! My goal is 7:40/mile (BQ pace), slower on the uphills, faster on the downhills. If it's slippery, though, my goal pace will become "eh, whatever". Now to set my Garmin to display this as a pace.

    DO WHAT?!?!? 7:40? Craig, you've run this course before! My PR for this course is like 1:46 and the Blue & Gray series has me with a 1:47 and 1:48. You're shooting for a solid PR at 1:40:20. I am 95% positive I can't hang with that pace. Good luck, snowman. Wait for me at the finish. I was looking at about an 8:00 pace or just under it. With the new Garmin 405 I can set my virtual partner's pace and it will tell me how far ahead or behind I am. Kind of cool.

     

     

     

     

    The virtual partner is a cool function until you see the message that tells you he finished a mile ahead of you.  I like mine Jerry.  That happened to me the race I tore my calf in.  As it might be raining Sunday, make sure you lock your bezel so the raindrops don't do things to your 405 that you don't want done.  A raindrop hitting the right spot WILL change screens for you.  Also set your scroll to your desired speed - SLOW is too, you end up staring at your watch waiting for screens to change.

     

     





    MCM '09, '10, '11

    Richmond Marathon '09

    RNR Arizona Marathon '10

    RNR Mardi Gras Marathon '10

    Shamrock Marathon '10, '12

    Frederick Marathon '10

    Madison Marathon '10

    1/2 Sauer 1/2 Kraut Marathon '10

    Baltimore Marathon '10

    Outer Banks Marathon '10

    Seashore 50K

    Houston '12

    Flying Pig '12

    Next Race - MCM Baby!!!!!!

  • KarlD_Navy84 Legend 879 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    21. May 15, 2009 11:43 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)
    Re: Fredericksburg! Fredericksburg!

     

    x_39_and_holding_x wrote:

    Good luck, snowman. Wait for me at the finish. I was looking at about an 8:00 pace or just under it. With the new Garmin 405 I can set my virtual partner's pace and it will tell me how far ahead or behind I am. Kind of cool.

     

     

    I have that feature on my old Garmin 205 from 3 years ago.  Did the 305 not have it? Just curious.  It seems odd that they would have not kept it through each upgrade.  I use it all of the time on tempo runs and long runs.  You probably know this already, but add a couple tenths of a mile when you set the distance so it doesn't shut off before  you cross the finish line.  That is unless you can plot the course ahead of time and store it in the device.  Talk to you soon.

     

     

     

     

     

    Karl

     

     





    Karl

  • MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    22. May 15, 2009 11:45 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)
    Re: Fredericksburg! Fredericksburg!

     

    x_39_and_holding_x wrote:
    Courir26 wrote:
    Charlie!2 wrote:

    What pace are you two guys thinking of running this thing? I might be able to run with you two for awhile.

    Slumming, Charlie? Cool! My goal is 7:40/mile (BQ pace), slower on the uphills, faster on the downhills. If it's slippery, though, my goal pace will become "eh, whatever". Now to set my Garmin to display this as a pace.

    DO WHAT?!?!? 7:40? Craig, you've run this course before! My PR for this course is like 1:46 and the Blue & Gray series has me with a 1:47 and 1:48. You're shooting for a solid PR at 1:40:20. I am 95% positive I can't hang with that pace. Good luck, snowman. Wait for me at the finish. I was looking at about an 8:00 pace or just under it. With the new Garmin 405 I can set my virtual partner's pace and it will tell me how far ahead or behind I am. Kind of cool.

     

     

     

     

    Psst!  Jerry, go with the 5%!   You guys can do this!  (Of course, I've never seen how hilly this course is.)

     

     

    Oh, Jerry, any interest in running the Bushwacker 10mile Adventure Run on May 31?  www.ex2adventures.com

     

     

    Think it's down in your neck of the woods...

     

     





    To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

  • x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    23. May 15, 2009 11:52 AM (in response to KarlD_Navy84)
    Re: Fredericksburg! Fredericksburg!
    KarlD_Navy84 wrote:

     

    x_39_and_holding_x wrote:

    Good luck, snowman. Wait for me at the finish. I was looking at about an 8:00 pace or just under it. With the new Garmin 405 I can set my virtual partner's pace and it will tell me how far ahead or behind I am. Kind of cool.

     

    I have that feature on my old Garmin 205 from 3 years ago.  Did the 305 not have it? Just curious.  It seems odd that they would have not kept it through each upgrade.  I use it all of the time on tempo runs and long runs.  You probably know this already, but add a couple tenths of a mile when you set the distance so it doesn't shut off before  you cross the finish line.  That is unless you can plot the course ahead of time and store it in the device.  Talk to you soon.

     

     

    Karl

     

     

    Karl, I have that feature on the 305 but I'm pretty sure it's based on a previous workout/course and not a "goal" workout.  With the 405, I just scroll to the screen with the VP-pace and then adjust the number up and down to the pace I want.  No previous workout or course required.





    Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    24. May 15, 2009 11:54 AM (in response to MCM Ron)
    Re: Fredericksburg! Fredericksburg!
    MCM Ron wrote:

     

    x_39_and_holding_x wrote:
    Courir26 wrote:
    Charlie!2 wrote:

    What pace are you two guys thinking of running this thing? I might be able to run with you two for awhile.

    Slumming, Charlie? Cool! My goal is 7:40/mile (BQ pace), slower on the uphills, faster on the downhills. If it's slippery, though, my goal pace will become "eh, whatever". Now to set my Garmin to display this as a pace.

    DO WHAT?!?!? 7:40? Craig, you've run this course before! My PR for this course is like 1:46 and the Blue & Gray series has me with a 1:47 and 1:48. You're shooting for a solid PR at 1:40:20. I am 95% positive I can't hang with that pace. Good luck, snowman. Wait for me at the finish. I was looking at about an 8:00 pace or just under it. With the new Garmin 405 I can set my virtual partner's pace and it will tell me how far ahead or behind I am. Kind of cool.

     

     

     

     

    Psst!  Jerry, go with the 5%!   You guys can do this!  (Of course, I've never seen how hilly this course is.)

     

     

    Oh, Jerry, any interest in running the Bushwacker 10mile Adventure Run on May 31?  www.ex2adventures.com

     

     

    Think it's down in your neck of the woods...

     

     

     

    That link says it's on 5/17 -- same day as MCHH... so I'm gonna have to pass.

     

    "Join EX2 on Sunday, May 17th at beautiful Prince William Forest Park for the running of the fifth annual EX2 Off-Road Half Marathon."





    Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • Courir26 We're Not Worthy 1,968 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    25. May 15, 2009 11:55 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)
    Re: Fredericksburg! Fredericksburg!
    x_39_and_holding_x wrote:

     

    DO WHAT?!?!?   7:40?  Craig, you've run this course before!

     

    Didn't say I wasn't dreamin'. It'd be a 3 minute PR, but it's my current goal for 13.1 in general. I'll start out like that if it's not slippery. If I remember correctly, it's a bowl, so we go generally down first. I should be able to keep the dream alive until the first large uphill, at which point Charlie can leave me in the dust (or mud if it's wet). And knowing you, you'll probably be the one pushing the pace on the early downhill anyway.

  • Courir26 We're Not Worthy 1,968 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    26. May 15, 2009 11:57 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)
    Re: Fredericksburg! Fredericksburg!

    Click on the Bushwhacker Adventure Running Race link.

  • x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    27. May 15, 2009 11:57 AM (in response to MikeDaMarine08)
    Re: Fredericksburg! Fredericksburg!
    MikeDaMarine08 wrote:

     

     

    The virtual partner is a cool function until you see the message that tells you he finished a mile ahead of you.  I like mine Jerry.  That happened to me the race I tore my calf in.  As it might be raining Sunday, make sure you lock your bezel so the raindrops don't do things to your 405 that you don't want done.  A raindrop hitting the right spot WILL change screens for you.  Also set your scroll to your desired speed - SLOW is too, you end up staring at your watch waiting for screens to change.

     

     

     

    Mike, I don't have it scroll... I just tap the screen to change the display.  But how do I lock the screen?  One thing I don't like is the light.  Two fingers to turn it on is annoying.  With the 305 any button would turn it on once you "turned it on" with the power button.  And I don't "think" mine lights up when I complete a "lap" like my 305 did.  Another disappointment.   Maybe I'm just resistant to change.:p  I've only used it for a handful of runs so far so I'm keeping an open mind.  But so far, the tech is cool and the fit and battery life are excellent . . . but I'm not sure it's an improvement in terms of actual function.





    Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • MikeDaMarine08 We're Not Worthy 2,498 posts since
    Aug 14, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    28. May 15, 2009 11:58 AM (in response to Courir26)
    Re: Fredericksburg! Fredericksburg!

    I'll be in the rear with the gear





    MCM '09, '10, '11

    Richmond Marathon '09

    RNR Arizona Marathon '10

    RNR Mardi Gras Marathon '10

    Shamrock Marathon '10, '12

    Frederick Marathon '10

    Madison Marathon '10

    1/2 Sauer 1/2 Kraut Marathon '10

    Baltimore Marathon '10

    Outer Banks Marathon '10

    Seashore 50K

    Houston '12

    Flying Pig '12

    Next Race - MCM Baby!!!!!!

  • x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    29. May 15, 2009 11:59 AM (in response to Courir26)
    Re: Fredericksburg! Fredericksburg!
    Courir26 wrote:

    Click on the Bushwhacker Adventure Running Race link.

     

    BRILLIANT!

     

    But that's a week after Vermont.  And I will be doing NO racing that weekend!





    Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...