Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9488 Views 69 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2009 4:21 AM by JoeInTX 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
JoeInTX Legend 1,767 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 17, 2009 4:52 AM

1/2 Marathon Trainers, Week of May 17th

End of last weeks thread

Happy Sunday Peeps!    I had a pretty busy work week last week.  Didn't get to post much didn't run either.  I did get a couple of good workouts at the gym.

Hope this weeks is a better week.  

Again I'm behind on the posts so, here's to a new week!  lol

Joe

-

1/2 Marathon Trainers Map

1/2 Marathon Trainers Calendar

1/2 Marathon Trainers Facebook

• megjmcc Pro 292 posts since
    Dec 14, 2008
    1. May 17, 2009 5:28 AM (in response to JoeInTX)
    Re: 1/2 Marathon Trainers, Week of May 17th

Hi all, Nothing to report since I ran 5 on mon and did pilates, then weights on tues.  For some reason I become unusually sore after the lunges on tues. Could hardly walk wed and thurs.  Lots of advil and icy hot patches. Don't know why its so different. Usually we do lunges off a step, about 75 of them and just switching to walking lunges must have hit the muscles a little different.  I am just so tired of being stiff and sore all week that I'm taking the weekend off. My mom has fibromyalgia and when I get this sore it's always in the back of my head that I'm getting it too. She was about my age when It started. But anyway, I got my window boxes done instead!! I'm behind on the shout out's, but I did read all the posts.And remember a couple.

Runjr- The sunburst marathon in South Bend (Hall of fame to Notre Dame!) is June 6th. That is too soon for me. I work that weekend, but it's more that I am not mentally ready at this moment. Kinda in a slump. weather maybe , I dunno!

Kukri- lol on the puppy fantasy!  Sounds like fun. It reminds me of the way my mind wanders when I run.

Carmen- I have used whey for 4 or 5 years. I started using it to help speed muscle recovery after long or intense work outs. And I like to build muscle. I have no idea if it helps my running though! I don't use it daily. Maybe twice a week. I think it's high in calories. I use vanilla and mix it with soy milk. I usually add a banana and a few frozen blueberries and then blend it. YUMMY!!!

Jill- Good luck with the contacts. I just got bi-focal contacts!!  Now I can read my texts!   Before ,when I would swim I had to take one contact out, so I could see my little lap counter I wear on my finger!!

Happy running all!!! Megan

*UPCOMING RACES*  ~ 12K Extreme trail race 5/30/11 ~ Sunburst Half South Bend In. 6/4/11 ~  Midwest Warrior Dash June 19

*COMPLETED *5/15/11 Door Prarie Duathlon 1:54~  4/16/11 Taltree 10 miler 1:37 * 4/2/11 Ringing In Spring 5k 26:43 ~Zombie Run  5K10/30/10 28:26 ~ Red Cross 5K  9/18/10 27:34 *  9/5/10 Rock & Roll VAB Half  2:12 * 8/22/10 Tour de' La Porte 5K  26:48 * 8/7/10 YMCA Sprint Triathlon 1:36 * 5/2/10 Flying Pig 1/2 Marathon 2:11 *4/17/10 Taltree Ten  1:36,* 4/3/10 Ringing in Spring 5K 26:51,

• misswendy! Legend 1,056 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. May 17, 2009 6:55 AM (in response to megjmcc)

hey yall

13.3 miles this morning early.  i felt pretty good about the run, and i got to try out a couple of new things.  GU roctane, which will be handed out at sandiego: gross, but is supposed to help for long runs. so i'll take one late in the race.  new insoles: they are ok, just  a bit smaller than the spenco ones which i was not able to find.  icy hot medicated patch: on my foot, where it hurts after a few miles. still hurt, very badly, so idk if it helped any. probably wont use one race day.

home today with my sick little boy. so lots of time to rest my foot! lol

joe....this week y ou couldnt be more busy than last week, so that is good...

megan...MIL has fibromyalgia. i'm sure you are just sore from working out. keep that up! time off will surely do you good.

runjr...the roctane was ok, i wanted to see how it did in my stomach and no problems. i tastes gross, tho. the amino acids in it are supposed to give that extra boost. i'm not sure if i felt it, but i will be taking one along for the last couple of miles. good luck on race week. take it easy.

jill....hang in there the hard days are just around the corner! lol

simon....sorry for your familys loss. hope that all the effort you are putting into the running/xtrain will pay off soon.

love to all

• runjr Legend 912 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    3. May 17, 2009 7:57 AM (in response to misswendy!)

good morning all.  Ran 12.5 today and took some hills through the first half of the run.  It was actually 37 degrees when I started.  Taper begins now.

jill - way to get it all the training completed in a day.

simon - sorry about your loss in the family.  It is never easy.  Maybe a run will do you some good.  You couldn't ask for a better trainer.  That is a great plan. 

joe - hope your week allows some running.

meg - the slump thing happens quite a bit.  Somehow just keep pushing and maybe look at early fall up in the area you snowboard at.  I would definitely wait until you are ready.  You will know.

misswendy - I know DD and I like biofreeze. It is good for pain relief.  Thanks for the Rocktane feedback.  I will take it as well for the extra.  I am definitely sold on the GU chomps, you know me I love to eat so I am able to get some chews in along the way.  Great running.  Take care of that heel, race day is approaching.

take care all

PR's:
    Susan Komen Race For The cure 5k......... 21:11
    Striders Milwaukee HM ....................... .1:37
    Indy Monumental Marathon ...................3:30 BQ

• runthenumbers Pro 160 posts since
    Sep 26, 2008
    4. May 17, 2009 10:22 AM (in response to runjr)

Good Afternoon, All:  Ran 10 miles at 10 AM this morning.  Did my 9-mile loop along country roads.  It amazes me the different type of drivers that pass me on this route.  The roads do not have shoulders and I always run facing oncoming traffic.  Don't take I-Pod because I want to hear approaching traffic.  Some drivers go all the way into the other lane when they approach me.  Others only give me a half of the lane.  I wave hi to em all, even the one this morning that played chicken with me.  I did go off into the tall grass for that jerk.  Anyway, the run felt good, the bananna shake and shower afterward was great.  Think I'll take a nap in front of the TV in a little bit.

Re dogs, and cows.  In my neighborhood this morning I ran by 3 dogs and lotsa cows. The dogs were two beautiful great danes and a dobie.  None of them bothered me.  The danes were walking with their owners, the dobie came running out to the road and then ran beside me the length of his property.  The cattle simply remained lying in the field looking at me. With the number of times I run this route the animals must be used to me.

Runjr:  Thanks for the shoe pointers.  I have to make some time this or next week to visit the running store to try them out.  Also, all the talk about GU reminds me that my stash is running low.  Will have to pick up some of the chew and roctane to try.

Meg:  I was feeling the slump last week - only ran  Sun and Wed.  And two days did nothing at all.  I'm just going to try to get to the gym more this week, and plan a speed workout tues or thurs this week.  Work is asking me to travel more the next two weeks, so we will see how to balance everything.

Jill:  Good luck with the contacts.  I went from bifocal glasses to Lasik correction three years ago.  I'm super pleased with it.  Still occassionally reach up to push the glasses back onto face.

MissWendy!:  Take care of that foot. I'm fighting slight foot pain, upper part at joint between big and next toe swollen.  It's just a nuscience when running right now. I will probably suck it up and visit the doc this week for his opinion.

Let's hear the race reports, runners!

• mass girl Legend 357 posts since
    Oct 20, 2008
    5. May 17, 2009 10:25 AM (in response to JoeInTX)

Hi all, I went to the gym yesterday for my spin class and then centergy class. Today I should run but I think I'm going to rest. My inside of my ankles and shins are sore.So I'll try to get a run  in .tomorrow.

Miss wendy- great runs yesterday and today!! I hope your son feels beter soon!!

3 hungryelks- glad to here you had no foot pain when you ran this week. Wow 175 situps!!!

Runjr- Taper week for you!!!! yeah!!! yes I'm racing next Sunday too!! Runlong runfast and snorth100 are racing the same race as me too in Boston.

Joe- thanks for getting us started!! dont work to hard this week!!!

Simonnr- Sorry to hear about you MIL

First hm- 2/14/09 2:05:20       10k-4/5/09  56:58     NJ half marathon  5/03/09  2:02:50    Run to remember hm 5/24/09 2:05:57

Hartford Conn marathon  10/10/09  4:55:06    1 st Run 10k Lowell 1/1/10 55:23   Hyannis half 2/28/10 2:01:58

• cscmartin Expert 144 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    6. May 17, 2009 3:06 PM (in response to mass girl)

hey everyone,

it is a beautiful day outside, i just cut the grass and did yard work its to hot to go for  a run i think i may hit the gym for an interval run my kids are driving me nuts!

i will be back in a few.

carmen

Carmen new2running08

2008 finished races

1st half on 5/4/08 2:11:50
    2nd half on 10/19/08 2:01:01

2009 finished races 

3rd half on 5/3/09 2:05:48

• Graciemygirl Rookie 27 posts since
    Apr 12, 2005
    7. May 17, 2009 4:55 PM (in response to cscmartin)

I will follow this thread more later...thanks for the BIG welcome!!  I just wanted to post and say...my half was today and my Shins held up...I did not break any records 2:43 butI was so happy to make it after all of that training!!!!  I hope you are all doing well and I will follow up more tomorrow maybe....I am exausted but wanted to say thanks and say how glad I am to have found this thread!  Thanks again!

Attachments:

Angie Drew 
  • kukri Amateur 104 posts since
    Oct 2, 2008
    8. May 17, 2009 7:52 PM (in response to Graciemygirl)

I have a new toy

(& new crosstraining plan)! yay!

todays running report:

5.02miles; 51:41minutes; 10:16 min/mile

today's "long run" was done at 70F in pouring rain & 20mph wind...

it was surprisingly not terrible & the park was full of small

fluffy gozzlings & ducklings & radom other chicky-things

traveling about in herds...

given how wet it was I'm not sure they realized they'd left the lake...

anyway, they're vastly preferable to the usual assortment of strollers,

dog leashes, & small children on skates I have to dodge on a usual

Sunday run...

the li'l fluffy things not only look sweet- they also miraculously get out of my way

so, about the toy... it's a cute little orange sit-on-top kayak:

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/product/index/products/recreational/recreational_ripper/ripper_recreational/

accidentally was seduced by the kayak yesterday when out with my roomate looking at canoes to fulfil his fishing fantasies... anyway, in addition to being just too much fun, figure paddling should be perfect for xtraining

• Cara_26.2 Pro 711 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. May 18, 2009 3:02 AM (in response to kukri)

Morning everyone,

Well i've had a lovely weekend... Saturday as some of you know I met up with Spicegeek and we ran a lovely 6 miler along the seafront on the South coast of England. It was really windy, but the sun was shining and it was so nice to finally meet her. It felt like i'd known her for ages (which I guess I have) - I guess this means I have met the new years resolution to run with someone from the group! Who'd have thought!

Usually I don't run Sundays, but I really fancied another run, so I ran my 6th of the week - yes - I did just say 6... this is a first for me!!! and did a 7.5 miler through the local fields and woodland trails with DH. We managed to time it well and actually hit a sunny patch on what was a rainy day. 35.5 miles for the week.

This morning was an easy 4.5 as I really couldn't get out of bed!!! It rained on me for most of it I am actually re-thinking my marathon training plan now as i've noticed that It's going to be about 6 weeks of training (out of a 16 week plan) to get to where I am now...! I am wondering whether to just go for the one from my advanced marathoning book and take on the challenge - although that would mean I should have started today! oh dear... why didn't I check this earlier! I may write my own hybrid plan tonight!

Carmen - I've never tried whey protein powder, but am planning on trying some new stuff during marathon training, so let us know how you get on if you try it!

Runthe#s - great 10 at 10 - I run through a field with horses and they usually watch us run through... once they had seen us a few times they started getting brave enough to come over and say hello! hope that foot problem goes away soon - good idea to get it checked out!

Jill - Did you sneak in a run? Don't worry - we wont tell

Runjr - spicegeek took it easy on me How's the taper going? Is it driving you mad yet or are you enjoying an easier pace of life! I see you have been getting some good runs in!

Sue - great job on the extended run! My run yesterday had loads of hills... they are a killer, but they really do help! You'll be glad of them when you encounter a hill in a race which you will charge up whilst all around you start walking

Lorie - i'm still here!!! good to hear your training is going well... only 17 days until your next half!!! exciting! rest up those aches!

Kevin - So nice to see you back - we missed you!!! Spookily Spicegeek and I were talking about you on Sat and wondering if you were still running, and then later that day I saw your post!

3elks - lol on your tunnelling dog... you could train him to tunnel into a bank vault or something?!? great training... but 175 sit ups! Are you mad!!!

Misswendy - what's your goal for this marathon? Hope your heal is feeling better with the tapering.

Simon - Sorry to hear about your MIL. Great news that DW is going to train you though - it'll be nice for her to have something positive to concentrate on and also for you both to spend the time together!

Joe - Hope you get a better week and work and can fit the runs in... as the posts to us of course!

Meg - I was sore after my lunges on Thurs too... I realised I was doing something funny with my hips and dropping one side - when I levelled off and did a few it hurt!!! that's the kind of pain I like though when you know it's the muscles getting stronger! Hope your legs are feeling better now!

Angie - congratulations on your race! You did great and now have a PR to beat next time

Kukri - Great run in horrible conditions and nice to see all the little fluffy things Cool on the sit on top kayak! I am a paddler and have 2 closed kayaks and a canoe - it is great cross training actually... my hips definitely got a good workout last weekend when I went out for the first time in a while!

Long post from me, but hopefully i'm all caught up!

Happy running all

Cara x

PR's

18/04/2010 Brighton Marathon: 4:23:45

21/02/2010 Sussex Beacon Half Marathon: 1:51:30

• Runlongrunfast Amateur 84 posts since
    Jan 12, 2009
    10. May 18, 2009 6:50 AM (in response to Cara_26.2)

Good Monday Morning everyone!    Sorry this post is so long from the last.   I haven't been feeling up to par the last few weeks, i have had some issues I needed to deal with.  I still am but it is getting better....i hope.   Anyway, since my last post, i had been feeling pretty down so i decided (at the last minute) to find a close 5K...which is pretty easy.   I needed a boost before the half so i decided i would do my best to finish in 30 min.   i did it in 28:45 ,   so that just made my day! oh, by the way it was a night run!  well it started at 6:30pm.... since i am a morning person i was not too sure how i would do.  haha.   i am in my taper week   My half is on Sunday.  i am so excited.          I see you are all doing so great from your posts.    Take care and have a great monday!

• macd019 Pro 709 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. May 18, 2009 7:10 AM (in response to Runlongrunfast)

Good morning all! Nice day here, though chilly (38) this morning. I've been doing short runs daily for the past week, hoping that would help build my stamina back up. Can't say that it seems to be working yet... We had a nice weekend with DD#2 in Milwaukee, but now I feel even further behind on stuff to do at home. Glad this is a 3-day weekend coming up.

Joe, no kettlebells for me yet... the dumbbells are enough at the moment. Good gym workouts last week - hope you get some running in this week!

runjr, sounds like DD is postponing the 'readjustment' period a bit, lol... Does she have a summer job? They can be tough to come by this year. Great run in that chill yesterday! I did a whopping 2 before we took DD to b'fast and headed home.

Kevin, welcome back! Glad to hear you are getting back into running - hope it is going well. I've been struggling to rebuild after hip bursitis had me off for 4 weeks... so it goes! How are your girls?

3elks, busy/active week for you! How did the Relay go?

Simon, so sorry to hear about your MIL. Cool on your DW becoming your coach/trainer.

misswendy, great 13.3, but sorry to hear the foot is still causing you so much trouble! So the roctane was gross? What flavor is it? Hope DS is feeling better today.

runthe#s, nice 10 yesterday! I get very annoyed at country drivers around here who don't want to share the road (and are way over the speed limit) - fortunately they don't seem to be the majority around here.

Angie, great job on your first half - Congrats!!! Glad to hear the shins held up. Great pic!

Kukri, good long run and nice new toy! Have fun with it!

Cara, so glad you and spicegeek got to have a good run! Big week for you too! Rethinking your marathon training sounds like a good idea to me - why start by going backwards? You've done great coming up with half plans, I'm sure you'll do the same with the full.

RLRF, congrats on the 5K! Happy tapering!

I'm not quite caught up on shouts but I'd better get to work... catch everyone later!

• misswendy! Legend 1,056 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. May 18, 2009 8:19 AM (in response to macd019)

hey yall

no running again today. i really am hoping some time off will help me out on race day.

run#s....get your foot checked soon so that you can take care of it before it becomes too painful. great 10 mile run!

lorie...great going on the classes! james was feeling fine by the end of the day, thanks

carmen...escape to the gym! haha! my kids drove me nuts yesterday too. must be contagious!

angie....WAY TO GO! how great that you finished your hm! the pic is great, and the ribbon on the medal is so cool!

kukri...cool kayak, and great 5 miles!

cara...cool that you ran with spicey on the beach. wow! adding that 6th day is great! my goal for the race: 1. finish strong. 2. 9:45 pace

macd...great job on the short runs. hope you get caught up next weekend. the roctane is not as good as the chocolate or orange flavors to me. it is blueberry pom flavor, and just a bit weird. i wouldnt say it is yummy. ds is currently annoying me to watch tv. so he is back to normal!

love to all

• kevee Rookie 376 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. May 18, 2009 11:40 AM (in response to misswendy!)

Hey everyone!

I'll be doin W6D2 of C25K this afternoon.  Just a couple of 10 min runs with 3 mins of walk in between.  Should be a piece of cake. 

Cara, 35.5 miles, Wow!  That's great.  Good for you.  Yeah, I just started getting back to running.  Wish I'd never stopped.  Oh well.  It was great you got to run with Spicegeek.  I thought my 'ears burning' on Saturday was just my allergies.  Guess not! 

Macd019, Sorry to hear about your hip problems.  I hope you can get back into your routine.  Girls are great.  Every afternoon I hear how many days of school they have left...  DD#2's graduating (High School) this year and her mom and I are planning her grad party on the 30th.  DD#3's all excited as she'll be going to Europe next summer for 'Ambassadors of Music' tour.  She plays a clarinet.  DD#1 has her last day of (tech) school today.  She'll eventually come work for me next spring.  Maybe even this summer if we can land more work...?:|

Well good luck to everyone with your runs today!

Kevin

• mass girl Legend 357 posts since
    Oct 20, 2008
    14. May 18, 2009 12:04 PM (in response to misswendy!)

Happy Monday!!   I ran an  easy 4 miles this morning, Then took a demo class. Its called Max-Traxx . Its out side and its like bootcamp. It was a killer!!! I had to run up cement bleacher and down than do push-ups with one hand on a medicine ball the pass it too another person than back  till the other person was done running the stair!! We had to do that 3 times!!!! We even did some burpees!! toughs are hard!! The  classes start next week .I'm crazy but I think I'm going to sign up for the 3 days a week for 4 weeks!!! What doesnt Kill me will make me Stronger!!!! haha Tomorrow I' going to go for a run with a friend plan on doing only 5. Sunday is race day for me.

angie- Great job on your first half and Happy birthday!!! I hope you had a nice day!

Kukri- Great run yesterday in the rain! Congrats on your new toy!! sounds like fun

Cara- great total mileage for the week!! When is your full

RLRF- awesome job on your 5!!!! I'm running the same half as you maybe we can meet up at some point. Sue(s north 100) is running the race too!

Great running everyone!!

First hm- 2/14/09 2:05:20       10k-4/5/09  56:58     NJ half marathon  5/03/09  2:02:50    Run to remember hm 5/24/09 2:05:57

Hartford Conn marathon  10/10/09  4:55:06    1 st Run 10k Lowell 1/1/10 55:23   Hyannis half 2/28/10 2:01:58

1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...