Skip navigation

528 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2009 5:53 PM by Southridge Runner RSS
Currently Being Moderated

May 17, 2009 3:41 PM

Marine Corps Historic Half Reviews

Share your experiences with the Marine Corps Historic Half below Back to event details page.

• vinny63 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 21, 2008
    1. May 17, 2009 3:41 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Marine Corps Historic Half Reviews

Most pootly organized 1/2 marathon. No ending clock, no clocks at specific points along the race. Some chip times not recorded. They provide you with bananas cut in half. I for one do not want to eat open fruit. You never know what hands have touched it. Not enough ponchos for everyone. They advise that your watch time and the time they tell you you finished could be off by as much as 6 minutes. The awards ceremony was held right near the entrance to the convention center. They could have used the inside area where they expo was actually held where there was more room. The race organizers charge alot of money for these races and they could have done a much better job. Perhaps they should attend the rock and roll 1/2 marathon and see how to improve the Marine Corps 1/2 marathon. I give the Marines, Police, Fire, EMT and people of Fredericksburg a 10 OUT OF 10 for their support. I give the race organizers a 1......

• boogeronni Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 23, 2008
    2. May 17, 2009 4:39 PM (in response to vinny63)

This was my first half marathon ever so I have nothing to compare it too, but man, I had a blast!  It was rainy and hilly and I can't wait to do it again.  I'm a local so I didn't have to get a room or deal with an inconvenient packet pick-up.  I suppose the fact that I wasn't very concerned with my time contributes to my rosy outlook as well.  I was touched that so many people came out to cheer us on on such a nasty morning - some even going so far as to play the theme from Rocky.:D  I trained with Sport Beans so the freebies at pick-up and at the visitors center during the half was cool.  I loved all of the bands and singers.  Oh, and the adorable little cheerleaders from Hugh Mercer Elem. - bless all of their hearts for getting up out of their cozy beds for us!  I really don't know how a good half marathon should be organized - I guess they still have some kinks to work out.  I didn't take one of there cut up bananas either:p .  This newbie really didn't notice anything bad - maybe I got caught up in the experience.  What took me so long to do one of these??!!    It was an amazing morning and I'm very proud that I was part of it.

• Southridge Runner Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 29, 2007
    3. May 17, 2009 5:53 PM (in response to Guest )

Vinny63 makes some good points.  However, I thought the race went well.  At 52, I am just happy that I am still able to run.  The new course improvements I thought were better than last years inaugural run.  Other than Mother-nature raining down on the event it was , for me, a well organized event.  I hope to do it again in 2010.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...