Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8382 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2009 5:13 AM by tsh48 1 2 Previous Next
robmelton Rookie 6 posts since
Apr 8, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 18, 2009 10:50 AM

Treadmill vs. Outside Miles

I just seriously started running about 3 months ago, at least 3X per week on a treadmill, usually do about 3+ miles. Usually can go about 1 to 2 miles before I need to walk a bit. But overall do not feel overly winded. Usually feel very strong when I have finished. My time is usually about 11:30 per mile so it is not like I am sprinting.

So I have recently been to two 5ks over the last 6 weeks, I am eating properly, plenty hydrated, but totally bonk before I even get to the Mile 1 marker. I realize that things are different but is there something else I am missing? Really want to at least jog the full course. Any help/advice that anyone has on creating more endurance/stamina would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. May 18, 2009 2:36 PM (in response to robmelton)
    Re: Treadmill vs. Outside Miles

Rob,

Congrats on your training and welcome. The only thing I can think of is if your not changing the elevation on the treadmill. 1 to 1 1/2  degrees of up on a treadmill is prettty close to running on a flat road outside.

hopefully this helps.

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• AsphaltRunner Legend 302 posts since
    Nov 25, 2008
    2. May 18, 2009 9:42 PM (in response to robmelton)

If you want to train to run road races, you have to run on the... ROAD.  Treadmill and road running differ ever so slightly and strengthen your leg muscles in different ways.  So someone who trains exclusively on a TM will have problems running the same paces on the road and vice versa.  Adding elevation on a TM helps but again, you are working different muscles when you do that.

You need to incorporate some road running into your schedule.  Do not try to run at the same paces, try to run at the same effort level. 

I use to run a lot on TMs for marathon training so I know mixing TM and road running can work well.  I did more than 50% of my mileage on TM mainly because there is less impact on my joints. 

James

James
  • dg12 Amateur 76 posts since
    Jul 12, 2007
    5. May 19, 2009 7:13 AM (in response to robmelton)

Slow your 3 mile pace down to where you can breathe easier and run more consrtant especially to allow you to run longer or run all the way. You set those individual goals just dont mentally limit yourself that you can only do it this way or that other way. It doesn't have to be all or NOTHING like some would suggest.

Everything JamesHong said, do both. I used to do lot's of TM in the pre marathon season to develop a base for September and on. After which I would transfer more and more miles outdoors, especially the last 2 months of all weekly long runs were run.

It also takes a long time for your body to adapt, you can easily injure yourself at this stage. Steady your anxious mind about being in so blasted a hurry. Physical health is one thing but I also see alot of mental neuroses in the running community, especially obession. RELAX dude!

• AsphaltRunner Legend 302 posts since
    Nov 25, 2008
    8. May 19, 2009 8:28 AM (in response to robmelton)
    robmelton wrote:

One last question as well for both you and Dennis. If I am running the 5k should I really be running double that in order to prepare for the race? 

I am not sure I understand your question.  Do you mean that your long or longest run be double the 5k distance?

If that is your question then for a new runner I would say no.  I recommend to err on the conservative side for new runners.  While running a longer distance is better, there are higher risks of injury.  For someone who has been running for a while, then yes.  Once you get to the intermediate level and above it is not uncommon to have your long run up to 10 miles or longer even for 5k training.

James

James
  • silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    9. May 19, 2009 5:31 PM (in response to AsphaltRunner)

I agree with James and the only other thing i would add is if you do decide to up your running go by the 10 percent rule,

Dont add any more then 10 percent to your distance total per week

Dennis 

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• JayHeavner Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 21, 2008
    10. May 28, 2009 2:51 PM (in response to robmelton)

I think the treadmill is great for building cardiovascular fitness but it's not always a true analogue for running even with an incline. Running on a treadmill doesn't require you to pull your body forward so your hamstrings don't get engaged the way they would running outside. You can strengthen your hammies on the treadmill by running backwards but I think it would be easier and better to get outside at least a day or two a week.

If your joints are getting pounded you might want to evaluate your shoe choice and/or take a look at your form. Are you a hard heel striker? If so, you might want to try landing more on the ball of your foot. Take off your shoes and run for 50 feet. You'll might notice you're running a lot differently. Just something to consider.

• Magplad Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 10, 2008
    11. May 31, 2009 10:19 PM (in response to robmelton)

I'll give a bit of my experience in regards to treadmill vs. outside running....

This last winter I started training for a half marathon but into my 2nd week I fell down some stairs and fractured my tailbone.  Dr said "no running" and I said, "how about a compromise, I run on treadmill instead to lessen the impact". He agreed.  I spent the next 12 weeks running 3-4 times a week solely on the treadmill.  I set the incline to 1.5-2.0% for every run.  Fast forward to April 25th and my half marathon.  I was worried things would be really hard since I had not run on the road in months but I found it to be almost easier for me than the treadmill.  The course itself was relatively flat and since I had been used to running at a 2% incline, it was much easier for me.  I ran the entire thing with no problem at all.   The key to treadmill running is to always have it set at an incline to mimic the road.  To shake things up, raise and lower the incline to mimic hills. 

As for burning out so quickly into your 5Ks, my guess is that you are starting off way too fast. Slow down at the start, you can always increase your speed later in the run.

• Norbertt Expert 54 posts since
    Jul 4, 2008
    13. Jun 2, 2009 5:05 AM (in response to robmelton)

I am actually the complete oposite . I can run 3 miles outside with ease but 1 mile on the treadmill seems hard for me . More practice outside , as for your joints run in grass or on a track that has the cushy asphault stuff.

• brandonsmarathon Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 21, 2009
    14. Aug 7, 2009 9:56 AM (in response to robmelton)

Have not been on a treadmill since Feb. And then, I wound up burdening myself with ITBS. Treadmills are the devil. Being a triathlete it's nice because when you can't run, there are always other options.

http://www.brandonsmarathon.com

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...