Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9227 Views 69 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2009 4:21 AM by JoeInTX RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Runlongrunfast Amateur 84 posts since
    Jan 12, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. May 18, 2009 12:33 PM (in response to mass girl)
    Re: 1/2 Marathon Trainers, Week of May 17th

Massgirl... that would be great!  DH and I are staying friday through monday right at the seaport.  i would love to meet up with the both of you!  

oh, i forgot... i ran 6.2 this morning.... it felt great!  

• cscmartin Expert 144 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    16. May 18, 2009 12:41 PM (in response to mass girl)

hey everyone!!!!

i got up this morning at 5am and it was 55degrees and it was light outside.  I did take advantage of that I did running intervals for 60 minutes and I am in a great mood.  Much better than yesterday.  I should just ran when my kids were working my nerves it was just to hot at the time.  I planning on doing two halfs soon one on 6/13 and another on 7/19 both are local races.  i am pretty excited about them both and ready to rev the trainiing back up.

meg - thanks for the advance on the whey protein.  i am still debating if i really need it, i eat so much eggs, cottage cheese and chicken that i don't know what benefits i would get from it.

simons sorry to hear about your loss!

runjr great on the 12.5 run yesterday.

gracie good job on your half glad your shin cooperated with you and brought you on into the finish line.

kukri great running report, im glad to see that you kept going in the poor down rain.

runlongrunfast  good luck ot you in your race you are going to do great!  you had a good idea maybe the whey protein will be good for the evening run before i eat dinner to get the edge off.

cara great job on 35.5 in, i will be lucky to get 20 you are motivating to get more in.

lori are you a member of golds gym?  i just love those classes they are great!

macd i hope your hips cooperate with you soon.

wendy  what is your goal for your race?  you are going to do great!

have a great day everyone!

carmen

Carmen new2running08

2008 finished races

1st half on 5/4/08 2:11:50
    2nd half on 10/19/08 2:01:01

2009 finished races 

3rd half on 5/3/09 2:05:48

• mass girl Legend 357 posts since
    Oct 20, 2008
    17. May 18, 2009 1:15 PM (in response to Runlongrunfast)

Runlongrun fast-  Glad to hear that you felt good today during your run!!  I'm staying at the Seaport too! but only on Sat night!!I think we are planning on getting into Boston around 12-1 to go to the expo.

Carmen- No I dont go to Golds its calles Global. They use the Body training systems. I love thier classes too!! Have you tried Max-traxx?

First hm- 2/14/09 2:05:20       10k-4/5/09  56:58     NJ half marathon  5/03/09  2:02:50    Run to remember hm 5/24/09 2:05:57

Hartford Conn marathon  10/10/09  4:55:06    1 st Run 10k Lowell 1/1/10 55:23   Hyannis half 2/28/10 2:01:58

• snorth100 Legend 293 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    18. May 18, 2009 2:33 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

Hello, all:  this morning was my last substantial run prior to my race on Sunday (about 8 miles).  Just to show how obstinate I am...I reran the hilly course that nearly did me in a few weeks ago.  Of course, I only did one loop and not two...but I did feel stronger!  Still had to walk a few hills, but ran the majority of the loop and even pretended the turn to my road was the finish line and attempted my version of a "sprint"!  Felt good after - so I think it was a good plan for building my confidence pre-race.

I have a wicked travel week this week, so I won't get much else in.  I'm going to try to do the metabolic workout in my newly organized "gym" at home.  My workout room is actually an unfinished room above the garage and had become a dumping ground for all sorts of miscellaneous stuff. It was rainy here yesterday and while DH pretended to work in the garage, I straightened up the workout room, vacumned, organized my weights and other paraphernalia....  Unfortunately, by the time I finished, I was too tired to actually DO a workout!  So, I'm going to try to do it early in the am before I leave for the airport!

Joe:  hope you have a better week this week!

Meg:  sorry about the achy after-effects of walking lunges - I've had occasions when I could hardly sit or stand after them!!  I think you're right, it's just a different set of muscles!  But...that's what they're good for!

Kukri:  good luck on the puppy fantasy!!  I take my dog with my every time I go out and as much as I love him, sometimes he can be SOOOO annoying!  I swear he slows me down with his sniffing, trying to chase other dogs/critters - sometimes I just want to leave him there in the road!

Wendy:  great tapering!  I have yet to try any GU...I understand they will be passing it out during my race on Sunday.  I suspect it would be unwise to try something I've never tried before during a race...but what the hey - I like to live dangerously!

Jill:  I find the fact that you have to cut back so much in order to train for the tri very interesting...  I've been wondering what I'll do after my half to train for my next race (yes, I've already begun to think of the next one!) and I can't seem to envision cutting back to the training program I did for this one.  I guess I'll find a training program for intermediate instead of beginner...  Anyway, if I was you, I'd be worried that I'd actually be getting LESS fit by cutting back so much...but that certainly can't be right!

Runjr:  I forget where you live, but your temps are like ours here in Maine.  We're actually getting a frost tonight!!  Fortunately, the long term weather forecast calls for a high of 64 on race day - perfect!!!  I was worried it would be too hot...but apparently I needn't worry!

Simon:  I'm sorry about your loss.  I hope your new trainer works out - could be uncomfortable around the homestead if she doesn't - lol.  I can no more imagine my DH as my trainer (or vice versa!) - we don't work well together!!

Runthe#'s:  I'm with you on different drivers - I've been known to stop and yell at the ones going 50 mph down our country lane!!  Glad you didn't have any dog trouble - 2 great danes and a dobie - those are big dogs!  I also did lasik - about 10 years ago now - and swear by it!!  What a wonderful invention - I wore glasses or contacts from the time I was about 7...so to me it was a miracle!!

Massgirl and Runlongrunfast - we have to figure out a way to meet at the race on Sunday...  Do you have any idea how many people are registered?  I tried to find it on their website and couldn't.  Anyway, I'll be wearing an orange baseball cap that says Wings on it...and I'll be going ever so slowly toward the finish line - lol!!  Look for me!  I cashed in some Marriott miles and am staying at the Renaissance hotel right there by the seaport on Saturday night - planning to pick up my race packet Saturday around 4 pm.  Would love to find you both...  I'm thinking of going into the North End for pasta to carbo-load on Saturday night

Angie:  congrats on your race!!  My target time for my half is a few minutes under yours - good to hear you made it!  Good post-race pic!

Cara:  I certainly hope all this hill work pays off!  I don't know about charging whilst others walk!!  Fortunately, I don't think this course is very hilly...running along the Charles River for most of it.  However, I'm looking at running a half in Maine in the fall and I'm sure that will be hilly!!  So, I'll keep practicing!!  BTW, I hope you told Spicey how much we've missed her posts while she's been gone!

Sorry to anyone I missed...  More later in the week,

Sue

• runjr Legend 912 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    19. May 18, 2009 4:20 PM (in response to snorth100)

hi all, rest day today, one of two this race week. This plan actually has me running 4 miles at recovery speed the day before the race. I am antsy already.

runthe#s - I'm with you on the road running. It is funny when you pass a farm how the cows or horses look at you like you are nuts. The problem is people text messaging. You can see them usually with enough time in advance to get in the gravel on the shoulder. Nice run.

lorie - good to rest up during race week. Get to the start line with minimal injuries. It should be fun to run with other members of this thread. Hope you all can meet up. Great workout today.

carmen - hope your interval run was fun. Glad you have picked out some races. Training is actually enjoyable to just get away from the daily challenges.

angie - great race!!! Congrats and no shin problems is a bonus.

kukri - good cross training idea.

cara - great week of running and you got to run with spicegeek. My first full I did the Pfitzinger modified. I did the 50 mile per week plan for 12 weeks since my mileage was well over 40 when I began. Yes I am going nuts without the running. Is DH going to train with you for the full?

runlongrunfast - great race and now taper until the full. Hope you get to meet up with the others.

macd - DD is home now and has one part time job and is going to add another next week. Two (2) miles is better than 0. Glad you got up to see DD#2.

misswendy - keep resting, you are fully trained right now.

kevee - for you this training should be easy. Glad you are back at it.

sue - way to punish yourself with the hills. I knew you would love them. I'm in Wisconsin; for our race it could be warm but the weather people are incorrect quite often and I am hoping they remain true to form.

take care all, long day of travels tomorrow but I get to run!!!

PR's:
    Susan Komen Race For The cure 5k......... 21:11
    Striders Milwaukee HM ....................... .1:37
    Indy Monumental Marathon ...................3:30 BQ

• jimmysbaby Legend 225 posts since
    Mar 21, 2009
    20. May 18, 2009 7:41 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

I haven’t posted much lately, but I have gotten back into

the running.  The weather was so hot and

it wasn’t raining at all.  It was very

difficult to get back into it with the heat.

I was only running 1-3 miles at a time.

I ran 5 miles Friday and then walked/ran 4 miles Saturday.  It rained all day today ( I am not

complaining ) so I did not run but did my step class which included lunges

(Megan).  I feel good about getting back

into a rhythm in my running.

Megan – I have bifocal contacts now too and love them, Jill

it did take a while to get them right and then get used to them.  The first time I got them, I didn’t like them

and changed.  This time I saw the other

doctor in the office, he told me I needed to give them 2 weeks…that was great

advice.  It is really cool because the

kids convinced us to get texting on all our phones and I don’t have to put on

glasses to read the text message.

Runjr – wow 37 degrees.

When the rain came here the lows were down in the 60s, that seems cold

after 90s…but 37 seems strange this close to June.

3elks – our bad beagle likes to dig deep holes in the flower

bed by the door and she kicks the dirt in front of the door.  No fence keeps her in.

Angie – Welcome and congratulations.

Kukri – I never commented on your shoe article.  It was interesting but I think I will keep my

shoes although my youngest at 13 still hates shoes and does as many activities

as she can barefooted.

Runlong – hope all goes well with your half, congrats on the

Wendy/Carmen – I think all the kids are ready for summer

break, mine are out of control too.

Sue/Massgirl – hope you do well in the race and meet up with

Runlong.

Take care all

Melody

• Cara_26.2 Pro 711 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    21. May 19, 2009 5:54 AM (in response to jimmysbaby)

Hey everyone,

I spent last night re-thinking my marathon training schedule, and have now re-worked it to be more along the lines of the Pfitzinger 55 mile plan. I've changed it a little to encorporate some from the runners world plan e.g. more of a taper in the final week and a run of 22 miles plus dropped a few mid week miles here and there so that I don't have any weeks with 3 10+ mile runs. I think I now have something that I can work with, but it's now an 18 week plan rather than 16 so i've started already! I figure if it's too much for me, I can drop back to the other plan but I think it's reasonable.

So - today was week 1 day 2 of marathon training! 8 miles with 4 at marathon race pace - at the moment i'm working on a 9:30 marathon pace but that may change up or down depending on how things go. The run today went well and felt pretty good - this is the longest i've ever done mid week, but I was able to fit it in before work. When the runs get into 9+ milers I will have to move them to evenings...

Runlong - Great job on the 5k! It's amazing how some good runs and a great race can lift your spirits. Enjoy your taper week!!!

Macd - 38??? That's way too cold for me this time of year! Glad you have been able to spend time with DD even if the runs aren't going so well. How's the hip doing? Your comment on my marathon plan was the last push I needed to rework it, so thanks! I am much happier with it now!

Wendy - Great job on the taper! Are you doing any cross training or just resting up? Good goals for your race... I hope your foot is doing better!

Kevin - Congrats on W6D2 - does it feel easier this time round? I guess it helps that you know you can do it... I remember doing it the first time round and each new distance seemed almost impossible! You will be back up to 'speed' in no time... and we're not allowing you to drift off again

Lorie - I like the sound of the new class! There is a PAYG bootcamp starting up near me that I fancy doing, but it's Sat mornings, so i'd have to fit a long run in after... not sure yet! My race is 20th Sept... or 4 months and 1 day according to my tracker

Carmen - 5am would kill me! Although the weather sounds perfect! Great job with the intervals... are you following a plan for the HM's you have picked?

Sue - Great job on kicking *** with the hilly route! Enjoy your taper this week and happy travelling! Those hills will give you strength at the end of the race when your legs are tired...

Runjr - will you just enjoy the rests!!! I bet I will be the same when I reach marathon taper DH wont train with me, but will probably come out on the odd runs. Probably a good thing seeing as he is much faster than me! I think he would be capable of close to a 3hr marathon if he trained!

Melody - glad to hear you are back running dispite the tough conditions! do you have any races planned?

Spicegeek - hope you got back to the US ok!

Well - that's me caught up! I think my plan has a rest day tomorrow... what a great plan I will do strength tonight and maybe bike tomorrow if I have time.

Happy running all

Cara x

PR's

18/04/2010 Brighton Marathon: 4:23:45

21/02/2010 Sussex Beacon Half Marathon: 1:51:30

• macd019 Pro 709 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    22. May 19, 2009 8:00 AM (in response to Cara_26.2)

Hey all. Another 2.8 for me this morning - still having trouble getting up early enough to do any more. And still lacking speed/stamina/energy. Maybe I should have my iron checked.

misswendy, hope rest is helping your foot! I wouldn't be a big fan of blueberry pom... That reminds me, we tried something new this weekend, Chocowine. Have you heard of it? It's red wine mixed with chocolate, which sounded really gross to me, but it tastes a lot like Bailey's (more chocolately though). Mmmm. Glad DS is better.

Kevin, how did your run go? Glad to hear your DDs are doing well. Congrats to DD#2 on graduation! What's next for her? Hip is doing pretty well these days, it's not the limiting factor, so to speak.

Lorie, Max-Traxx sounds tough!! Good luck this weekend - hope you get to meet up with the others from this thread!

Rlrf, nice 6.2! Good luck this weekend!

Carmen, glad you had some cooler temps to run in. It is good for sanity too. Hip is much better, thanks.

Sue, nice long run! Glad you were able to run most of the hills. Good luck this weekend! Are you staying at the Boston Renaissance Waterfront (or something like that)? That's where DD stayed before the Boston Marathon. I was going to stay too but gave up my place to her friend who was also running (who's mom was diagnosed with cancer the week before the race and couldn't come to watch). Nice hotel. You're not looking at the Maine Coast half in York in Sept., are you? I've had my eye on that one for 2 years. It's only ~30 miles from where my sister lives.

runjr, try to store all that energy until Sunday! You will do awesome I'm sure. Glad to hear DD is working. Enjoy having her home! I got email from both ACS and the Running Company on the Monumental Marathon yesterday...

Melody, good to hear from you! Glad you are getting some rain, and getting back into running. Is tennis over?

Cara, sounds like a good plan - though I hadn't really meant to push you into it You're off to a fabulous start with this morning's run! I would have to get up around 3am to get that many miles in before work, lol.

Happy running all!

• kevee Rookie 376 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    23. May 19, 2009 8:39 AM (in response to macd019)

Hey everyone!  I did my 2 laps of 10 minutes yesterday afternoon.  Ahh these runs keep feelin better n better!  2-1/4 miles tomorrow morning!  Then Week 6 is in the books.

Snorth, massgirl & runlongrunfast, good luck on your race this weekend!  And I hope you all can get together.

Misswendy, have a good rest day chasing after DS!

Runjr, a 4 mile recovery run eh?  your recovery pace is still faster than my race pace!  Where ya racin?

Cara, that sounds like a great plan!  sigh... I can only dream...  Thanks alot for the encouragement.  Yes it does help knowing I've run all these distances before.  It's definitely easier this time.   Now if the weight would just come off like before...

Macd, good job on the 2.8!  DD#2's goin to tech school next fall.  She'd like to be a corrections officer.  Living in a county with 5 penal institutions, she shouldn't have to worry about finding work.  In fact tomorrow I'm going with her to the 'new student' orientation.

Good luck to everyone with your runs today!

Kevin

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    24. May 19, 2009 10:01 AM (in response to JoeInTX)

Oh I am so happy to back home !!! I`m not even going to attempt to catch up with everyone but I hope you are doing well !!

Got 23 miles in last week on various places from exploring my old stompping grounds to running with Cara along the seafront getting sand blasted !  It was so much fun to meet up !

kevee - how cool to see you back - Cara and I were saying we missed  you !

Cara - tell me - does the panic subside once you start the official training ? or am I juist going stay nuts for the next 6 months ?? ... not that anyone will notice ! I will just say one thing - train NOW as for your stretch goal and back off if you can`t do it - I think 9:30 is too slow as a goal marathon pace - we were running faster than that and talking like a pair of teenagers on Sat - you can easily run 9:15 or even 9:00 ...

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• cscmartin Expert 144 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    25. May 19, 2009 12:04 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

hey everyone,

i was able to get in a easy 4.5 mile run today i had a nice steady pace for the whole time.  i did it in about 38 minutes according to the nike+.

hey for all the people who are interested in purchasing a garmin and doesn't have one yet amazon.com just sent me an email about buying the 405 and getting the 50 free.  two for one not a bad deal i guess.  the 50 comes with the foot pod and heart monitor.  the foot pod is valued at 100 buy itself so those that maybe interest check it out not sure how long it will last. 

i hope everyone is enjoying the day i will be back in a few.

carmen

Carmen new2running08

2008 finished races

1st half on 5/4/08 2:11:50
    2nd half on 10/19/08 2:01:01

2009 finished races 

3rd half on 5/3/09 2:05:48

• misswendy! Legend 1,056 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    26. May 19, 2009 12:23 PM (in response to cscmartin)

hey yall

4.5 miles this morning, finished with a quick mile.  i am convinced that my pace goal has to be slower than what i want. having run so many races where i overestimated myself and went out too fast, i want to try to slow down and really have something left at the end.  it would be nice to finish without feeling like i cant take another step.  i just have to convince myself to slow down on race day.  26.2 is a long way to go at any pace.

kevee....good luck w/ 10min runs

lorie...that maxtraxx sounds awesome. way to go!

carmen....sounds like you have a busy summer with races! my goal is to finish strong and make a 9:45 pace.

sue...my advice is dont do a gu on race day if you havent tried it. take something along with you that you have tried if you want. great job getting that extra room cleaned up!

runjr...i have a 3mile run day before race. let me know how you feel about your day before run. i am curious, ive not ever run the day before a hm or full.

melody...great job on getting out there in the heat. you will adjust to the heat, but it is really tough to run in. kids are totally wild here!

cara...i am resting but have lots of activities to attend this week, lots of standing and helping out with luncheons, parties, etc. your plan sounds great, and you will step up and get the whole thing done!

macd...you will be back in the groove soon, i'm sure. chocowine, now theres somethign i MUST try!!!

kevee....sounds like you are doing great on c25k

carmen....good job on a steady run

love to all

• Runlongrunfast Amateur 84 posts since
    Jan 12, 2009
    27. May 19, 2009 12:56 PM (in response to misswendy!)

Hi all,

I tried to post this morning and somehow did not? Oh well. I did some cross training this morning in my back yard, it was fun. Today is a scheduled day off from running.

Carman- I love to run in the morning- good luck with your halfs

Massgirl- we need to find a place / spot to meet up! Either before or after the race 

Snorth- Good job on the hills  haha you will def get stronger and stronger the more you do them. I have a lovely hill on my 6 mile run that I now can run up no stopping! I love it. 

The Run to Remember is Full up for the half, the five mile has openings. I am not sure the number of people, but I am sure it is high. I may see if my department will sponsor me … well give me a shirt haha.

Runjr- I will taper… but not toooo much , I can get lazy… haha. I will be good. A four mile recovery before the race? wow!

Melody- welcome back, it’s tough trying to keep up with this board sometimes.  .. sounds like you’re doing okay. Do you have a race coming up?

Cara Thank you, It was what I really needed.  Good luck with your new adventure. You will do great.

Macd- thank you, Sounds interesting (the wine) I hope you can get your energy up…maybe a complete blood workup would do…. It could be something other than your iron….. best to eliminate… viruses have a tendency to undermine our energy also.

Kevee- thank you, good luck on your 2 – ¼ miles tomorrow

Spicey welcome home nice week of running

Miss wendy nice run…I start too fast also, that is my biggest worry for this weekend. But I did pace myself at the 5k… I managed to start easy, well, truth be told, I started dead last. Haha…. So I made up the time pretty good.

Happy running all



• Graciemygirl Rookie 27 posts since
    Apr 12, 2005
    28. May 19, 2009 1:57 PM (in response to Runlongrunfast)

My legs are KILLING me!  The Lactic Acid is slowly disappering as the day rolls on...MAN!  I was hurtin!  I cannot wait to get started on HM #2 training.  I think I caught the bug BIG TIME!!!  I will rest this week and kick off again after the Mem Weekend!  Can't wait!  I am not sure how I will be able to keep up with all of you...but I will try!

• Meg

• Sorry to hear you are hurtin'!  I hope it is just the fact that you are using a little different muscle grp and that's what you are feeling.  Fibromyalsia is a tough    thing to deal with as you are aware I am sure!  Keep us posted!

• Miss Wendy

• Hope ur son is feeling better...and ur foot...you'll rock SD!

• Run JR

• I wish I had country roads...live in town without sidewalks so I am at the mercy of high schoolers and crazy parents trying to get to work or kids to school on time.  GRRR!

• MassGirl

• hope your legs/ankles are better!  Your KILLER class sounds fun...I wish we had something like that around here!

• Kukri

• NO WAY would I run in wind and rain...you are brave!  Well, maybe in 70 degrees...coming from WI...I am just not used to the thought of WARM RAIN!

• Cham

• Congrats on the mileage!  35.5 is something I am shooting for soon...good luck with the retool...55 mpw sounds so daunting to me...U INSPIRE ME!!!

• Runlong

• Hope you feel better soon...glad your 5k perked you up!

• Mac

• Are you from WI?  I live up in Wausau area...hope you found the trick to getting all of your stuff done!  I would get things chk'd out if you are tired...my dad has a blood issue and needs a transfusion every so often to get his counts stablized...he gets the same way.  Wouldn't hurt just to get it chk'd!

• Kevee

• I remember starting out with the C25K prgm...I thought about it this past wkend during my 1st HM...Keep it up!  It is amazing how fast you can improve with determination and a goal!

• CSC

• Glad your days are looking up...it is hard sometimes to feel motivated.  This is a great place to get what you need...I am really excited I found you guys!

• SNorth

• Have a great race this weekend!  Good Job on the room just for you!

• Jimmysbaby

• Looking forward to reading more about your running!  Thanks for the welcome!

• Spice

• look forward to hearing more about your plan!

Angie Drew 
  • rochesterrunner Rookie 49 posts since
    Mar 24, 2006
    29. May 19, 2009 2:22 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

Well I just committed to the Chicago Half in August!  excited for this.  Have had lots of bad running events this past year due to injury.  Healthy and willing, not fast but motivated.  following a 12 week plan starting with 3 today.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...