Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

20025 Views 177 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2009 4:12 PM by BlueDaisy RSS Go to original post 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 Previous Next
  • hneal Rookie 16 posts since
    May 15, 2009

I am done with W1D3...Yes I completed the first week. When I first started running day three my breathing got away with me a little but I just controlled my breathing and slowed it down. I actually sped up my running intervals(just s little). I feel so good. I think this group has helped my motivation so much. I just want to thank everyone. Good luck starting week 2. Have a wonderful memorial day weekend wintesses.

• mattmikesmom Expert 67 posts since
    May 17, 2009

Oh Blue Daisy do I understand your frustration!  There is nothing worse than trying to exercise with your kids.  I had the bright idea a couple of years ago that I would walk in 5K races while pushing my boys in the stroller...They would fight with each other, hang out of the stroller, ask for everything under the sun, even stopped in the middle of the race because one had to pee.  I definitely understand your frustration!  I think I completed 3 5K's, most of the time mad as a hornet when I crossed the finished line.  (On a positive note my times improved each time because I could not wait to cross that finish line, so I could strangle them. 

• HadababyItsaboy Amateur 34 posts since
    May 15, 2009

Week 1 DONE!  Ended up in the gym on the treadmill instead of outdoors b/c of the heat/allergies but got it done. I must say running on the treadmill was WAY easier than outside, even after I set the incline to 2 and 3.  I'm gonna try to stick to the outdoors as much as I can b/c i don't want to feel all good about running far/fast inside and then get outside be disappointed when i can't do it there.   So...8 weeks to go!  We can do it!  Keep up the good work fellow Witnesses!!!!!!!

Run Over Cancer 5k  7/4/09  34:30
  • meryl27 Pro 116 posts since
    May 18, 2009

Oh Blue --- You get an A+ for effort! So sorry to hear you had such struggles, but your determination is to be applauded! Doesn't doing 1/2 of it twice count as getting the workout in??? Either way, hang in there. We are all here to support you -- and who cares if you are off one day from the rest of us!! Look forward to the new thread next week.

I have to say I'm kinda frustrated and down myself.  I know there was some discussion about weight on previous posts, and I know that everyone's bodies respond differently but ... I weighed in after completing week one and ... drum roll please... NADDA... NOT ONE STINKIN' POUND.  How sad is that???  (I have at least 30lbs to lose, 40-50 if I wanted to be truly thin.)    How can that be?  Honestly, I didn't change my eating habits at all this week.  No more / no less than my normal routine.  So, I guess I have to focus on the food side too 'cause I can't take another week of feeling so accomplished only to have it all blown to bits on the scale. 

Meryl I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday. ~Author Unknown

C25K Graduate 7/18/2009

• mattmikesmom Expert 67 posts since
    May 17, 2009

Hurrah!  I finished W1D3 today.  I used the podcast for C25K on my mp3, loved it!!  However, I had a couple of WTF moments.  I turned the switch off half way through my run, had to count seconds in my head.  Then, I had the cord behind (can't stand the banging in the front), it kept sliding out around my elbow.  There is a moment where I thought  I don't really need this ****, and I'll start again tomorrow.  When you're half way through, you have to finish!  The run ended on a good note, with me looknig forward to next week! 

Don't get discouraged on the weight loss.  Remember we are making changes  in our lives to not only lose weight but sustain weight loss!  I think as we build muscle, then we will start burning more fat!  I think in the next couple of weeks we will be posting our joys at the weight we have lost! 

Looking forward to next week!  Awesome job everyone!

• mfssl Pro 84 posts since
    May 22, 2009

Hi Everyone,

Glad to be signed on again and reading all of your posts!!  It sounds like everyone is putting forth their best efforts, whether or not things go smoothly.  I am completely psyched about getting started.   I was able to squeeze in a stop at Kohl's this evening to buy a pair of running shoes.  Found a pair of Avia's for a total of $38!  Had just enough time to hit Best Buy bfore they closed and bought a Sansa Fuze mp3 player along with an armband and earphones suitable for running. 

I never would have thought that a little piece of fabric that wraps around your arm would cost $25 but, that it did and I cant figure out how to put this armband on!  I am usually pretty quick and figuring things like this out but I don't know how the strap is supposed to go and there are no instructions or picture to guide me!!  Seems like it is made wrong!!  I feel like such a dork!

I have never had an mp3 player and have no idea how to use one.  I read the post on the original thread about the program that lets you use your own music but adds the beeps at the proper intervals.  That sounds like just what I want so I invested in the player.  Now I have to figure out all this techno stuff too!

The mp3 player is charging.... the shoes are by my bed.... now all I have to do is download tunes and that beep program.  Got plans for tomorrow so I will probably start Monday or Tuesday, depending on how fast I get the player up and running.

Thanks for being there.  Wishing everyone the best.

Blue, you said you were creating a list of names.  Care to share the info in a post to the group?  I think it would be great to see everyones names (and info?) all in one place.  And btw, my youngest wants to join me.  I had been planning on letting him but now I am in a quandry after having read your post!!  What a day you had!  I agree, A+++ for effort!

Go Witnesses! 

• AndysJess Rookie 9 posts since
    May 15, 2009

W1D3 complete...and I even did the full 20 minutes!!!  I'm thinking about repeating W1 though.  Pushing a double jogging stroller adds a whole new dimension...not real sure I'm ready for W2.

I totally understand running with chatty kids.  My 2 yo asked if we were going home every time we turned a corner.

It was a great evening to run.  It's been storming here the last few days.  It wasn't raining when I ran, but it was really cloudy with this perfect breeze...so, so beautiful.  I really enjoyed my run tonight.  I really feel proud of myself for completing this first week.  I'm starting to really look forward to running.

Question:  if I repeat W1, do I post in this thread or the W2 thread?

• obxgrl Amateur 35 posts since
    May 16, 2009

Thank you everyone for posting your WTF moments as we end Week 1.  They have been lifesavers, cause it seems like I've experienced some flavor of them all as well.

Blue --- so sorry sweetie, I lovingly call my two girls "little need factories" cause if they don't really need something they will still make something up that they think they need     If it is at all possible, take the 30 to 45 minutes to yourself for running and stretching and leave the kiddos with your partner or other trusted adult.  With all we do for our lovies, I think we owe some "me time" to ourselves to get fit in peace.  Believe me, I know how hard it is to practice what I'm preaching BUT honestly everyone wins.

On the scale not budging, same thing happened here....... WTF!?!   I do realize things take time, so I guess I'll try to be patient.  I vaguely remember in college phys ed training for a one mile run over a 6 week semester and the weight had melted off by the one mile mark so in training for a 5K (3miles) I'm hoping for great things.

Take a deep breath, recenter, stretch so that when tomorrow comes, and we start Week 2, we can lace up our shoes and say BRING IT!!!!!

"Heart Keeps Running When Strength Runs out.... GOT HEART?"  Runs With Whales   

• carly85 Amateur 41 posts since
    May 17, 2009

Hey all!  I did W2D1 this morning, and while it wasn't fun or easy, I'm proud that I was able to finish and I feel good about it now.  Hopefully throughout the week it'll get easier like Week 1 did, because there was several times I wanted to stop, felt myself slowing during the runs, and made myself keep on pushing!!  Total milage: 1.9 miles, plus walking a few more blocks home because I misjudged how far away I was...again).  Next session will be Tuesday morning!

I got my iPhone armband in the mail yesterday (I only ordered it on Thursday so that was really quick).  I still wore my thick sweatpants with pockets just in case it didnt work well, but me and the armband both made it through.

Love is just like breathing when it's true.

• Rachael1226 Rookie 6 posts since
    May 15, 2009

Great job everyone! I too saw now success of the scale but am trying to remember that we just started! I'm hoping by the end of W2 there is some difference even if it's just a small one in the right direction.

I did W2D1 today and was pretty nervous, I was thinking of repeating W1 because I still am having trouble keeping my breathing under control while running whenI get close to the last runs. But I did it, it's six intervals of run walks and the first two went great, I was really suprised when Robert said the first 90s were done the first time. But by the middle of the fourth interval I was like of f*&! this! I really didn't want to keep going but I pushed through and toughed it out. My last run interval was bearing a run at all but I did keep it going and think that D2 will go much better after my rest day! I definitely need to devote a little more time to my pre and post stretching now though!

Good luck everyone can't wait to hear hwat you all think of W2!

• Anij34 Amateur 41 posts since
    May 14, 2009

Quickie question. 

What are the links for the "layover" MP3 C25K coaching cues?  Are there different ones?  We just bought an MP3 player and I want to have my own music with the coaching overlayed.  Just looking for the different links!

Thanks!

Anij34

• RachRob Amateur 53 posts since
    May 12, 2009

Hey everyone, I hope you're all having better weather than I am for the holiday- all coulds and thunderstorms here. So I'm feeling a little blah and I'm hoping my motivations kicks back in for tomorrow. My hubby just dropped me off in Boone nc (we live in Clemson sc, 3 hours south) so I can finish school. For the next 11 weeks I'm going to be here on my own most of the time, just going home on weekend and breaks. I don't know anyone here, I haven't taken a class in four years and it's up on a mountain so that means hills and thinner air = harder to breath. And it's going to thunderstorm everyday this week. So, I'm not looking forward to running, but hopefully some shoe shopping will help with that. I haven't lived on my own in years, well, I'm not alone, there are other girls who live in this apartment but I haven't actually met them-I just subleased this from someone. Ug. If I make it through this week I am getting a professional massage on friday. Oh, there's my motivation!! Wish me luck guys, and have fun this week!

• KempoGirl22 Rookie 2 posts since
    May 14, 2009

Hey all!!  Hooray for Week 1 being IN THE BOOKS!!  I did my first 2 runs outside, found a nice dirt trail, and it's SO much easier on my knee than asphalt or concrete. (Had an ACL replacement a few years back).  Friday, I was at the gym to play some racquetball with my sister, so figured I'd just do day 3 on the treadmill.  Man, it's a LOT easier running on a treadmill!!  No wind, no subtle incline changes!!  But all in all, I prefer the outside.  Plus, since I'm planning on doing Race for the Cure 5k in October, there's nothing like real world practice huh? 

Anyway, just wanted to check in, and am looking forward to week 2!!

BTW, has anyone tried running with a dog?  OMG that was WAY more work than I expected!!  My dog was all over the place, almost tripping me a couple times, then yanking my shoulder out of the socket when he wanted to stop and sniff!!  Maybe when I get distracted less easily and have more endurance, I'll take him again!!

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend, and will catch everyone later!

• Anij34 Amateur 41 posts since
    May 14, 2009

We use a headcollar with our dogs so we don't have issues of swirving or dodging or yanking.  They run really well....*BUT* they are Greyhound mixes so they are not built for distance...sprints only!  We take them to the park to run and they are exhausted in 7 minutes flat!  But the headcollars work great! 

Blessings

Anij34

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...