Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1656 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2009 3:39 AM by dwm082
MegACK Rookie 10 posts since
Mar 9, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 20, 2009 10:51 AM

Run in the AM or the PM?

I am curious as to when you all run?   I have found that I really enjoy running in the morning before work or before I start my day.  Lets face it, at the end of a long day at work, I really do NOT feel like getting out there.   Its also nice to know that I've already accomplished something so good for me before I've even started my day!  

If you are a morning runner, how to you keep motivated to get out of bed??  That is the hardest part for me!!

• AsphaltRunner Legend 302 posts since
    Nov 25, 2008
    1. May 20, 2009 11:22 AM (in response to MegACK)
    Re: Run in the AM or the PM?

AM runner here.  I figure I skip about 25% of my runs because I cannot get out of bed.  I definitely need a good nights sleep (at least 7 hours) or I skip my runs.  I love to run in the morning.  I just need my sleep.  I would like to run every day, but I usually end up running only 4 or 5 days at most. 

I do also run in the daytime and at night.  I do not mind running in the daytime, but I do not like to run too much in the sun.  I do not like running at night because it keeps me awake a few hours after I run; and I usually run at 9-10PM.   Again a sleep thing.

James

James
  • maeberryboo Amateur 117 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    2. May 20, 2009 11:52 AM (in response to MegACK)

I like to run in the evening.  It is a great way for me to destress after my day.  I just don't seem to do as well in the morning for some reason.

• blueeyes64 Amateur 19 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. May 20, 2009 2:36 PM (in response to MegACK)

I'm just starting C25K over again, but 5 years ago, I was running 30 minutes, 4 days a week.  I find that I do MUCH better in the morning, and I've never been much of a morning person either!

At the end of the day, I'm at the end of my rope.  I have no energy for running.  I prefer to go to bed early (9:30/10:00'ish), get up early (5:30/6:00'ish), and get out there and get it done.  I take a sip of water and out the door I go. 

Getting out of the bed is harder than the workout.  Once I do that, it's all downhill

• aj01 Pro 143 posts since
    Jul 8, 2008
    4. May 20, 2009 6:45 PM (in response to MegACK)

I can enjoy running anytime and with alot of downtime due to shin splints and other injuries I appreciate any run I can get in.  Cool morning runs start the day off right.  Afternoon in the sun if fine.  Last night I was running around town and passed a house with some people sitting in the garage getting drunk and wondering why someone is out jogging at 11:00 PM.  Because I can.  It's cool, quiet (mostly) and peaceful.

• kscpn Amateur 29 posts since
    May 8, 2009
    5. May 21, 2009 7:49 PM (in response to MegACK)

I vote for the a.m. run,

It's a nice way to start the day!

2010  BAYSTATE MARATHON Lowell, MA                                  3:48:11

2010  Harvard Pilgrim Health Care 10K at Patriot Place                  51:59

2010  2nd Annual St Pats 5K      Providence, RI                            21:33

2009 UNITEDHEALTHCARE HALF MARATHON                          1:48:35

2009  3rd Annual KAYLEIGH RAPOSA 5 "Kay" RUN                      20:56

2009  Narragansett Blessing of the Fleet 10 Mile Road Race:        1:22:15

2009  7th Runaways Runaround 5 Miler North Attleboro, Ma           37:34

2009  Childrens Museum in Easton Road Race 5 mile:                   36:38

• MN Grandma Pro 224 posts since
    Mar 30, 2009
    6. May 21, 2009 7:56 PM (in response to kscpn)

I've done both, but much prefer the morning.  And I generally HATE getting up, but run days I pretty much hop out of bed, get a slug of coffee, grab water and head out the door.  By the time I get home from work, I'm wiped out, plus I go to jazzercise class after work, and I've tried running after that, and it's just too much.  So....mornings for me!       Carol

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to  RUN  in the rain. (courtesy of Coach Will)

Started C25K on April 3, 2009
    GRADUATED C25K ON JUNE 7, 2009  

TIME TO FLY 5K    JUNE 27, 2009    38:22

• BratMTL Rookie 4 posts since
    May 22, 2009
    7. May 22, 2009 1:30 PM (in response to MegACK)

I started off in the mornings a few months ago and really loved it.

As of January it's been mostly evenings, anywhere from 9pm-11pm. I find that I'm a little less consistent in the evenings though. Some evenings I'll be exploding with energy and sometimes I'll just be so blaaaaaaaaah and I'll have trouble finishing anything... Also, I find that afterwards I feel like I'm high on 10 coffees. I'm just WIDE awake and have a lot of trouble falling asleep..and then in turn, I feel wrecked the next morning.

So, yeah, I think I'll start running in the mornings again. I'm going to have to do the whole "drag my *** outta bed" thing for a few weeks until I'm used to it.

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    8. May 22, 2009 1:36 PM (in response to MegACK)

middle of the day - I don`t like really early  but will do it once it gets hot and I get antsy if I have to wait all day for my work out !

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• Billsr Pro 159 posts since
    May 23, 2009
    9. May 23, 2009 3:35 PM (in response to MegACK)

I like to do my workouts first thing in the morning. My sole reasoning is that the longer I'm up the easier it is to make excuses NOT to workout.

• runthenumbers Pro 160 posts since
    Sep 26, 2008
    10. May 24, 2009 1:58 PM (in response to Billsr)

Early AM runner here.  Esp like the time just b4 sunrise.  In summer it's cooler, no radiant road heat, less traffic.  Always been able to just wake and go.  Occasionally tho I will run evening of same day to double-up.

• sgunder2 Pro 96 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    11. May 24, 2009 9:22 PM (in response to MegACK)

I have always been a PM runner. I am on week 4 of the C25K plan, but I used to run 6 days a week a few years back, and always did so in the evening. Back then I even used to go for the ocassional night run. Nowadays though, I keep it to the afternoon or early evening. I am NOT a morning person, and the times that I have tried to run in the morning, I feel so stiff and do not run as well. I like the idea of running in the morning, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I guess everyone is different.

Week 5 of One Hour Runner Complete!

I am training for a yet-to-be-determined Triathlon

• CEEGIRL Rookie 12 posts since
    Dec 19, 2008
    12. May 24, 2009 9:40 PM (in response to MegACK)

mornings for me!  a couple of reasons why.....

a) I will find myself not looking forward to it in the middle of the day and way overthink it if I wait too long.

b) its cooler temps

c) Its out of the way and I have started my day off right!

the motivation for getting out of bed?  to be honest is so my husband gets the kids up in the morning (i have a baby who can tend to have messy diapers in the am) and they are all eating and happy when I get home from my run!

d) I am afraid if I don't, I won't and will have to start this whole thing all over again.

Caren

• joeyverville Amateur 61 posts since
    Aug 31, 2006
    13. May 25, 2009 2:23 AM (in response to MegACK)

I would LOVE to consistently be an AM runner, but honestly can't make myself get up early enough to fit it in before work.  I do run mornings on the weekends and love 3 day weekends.  Now that the weather is getting warmer, it helps to get it done before the day heats up too badly.  In the mornings, I feel lighter and after a few minutes of walking, feel I feel like I can usually go longer distances.  In the PM, the whole run often seems a bit harder, depending on lots of things--what I've eaten that day, interruptions from kids and their schedules, etc.  Good question, Meg.

Joey

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. May 25, 2009 3:39 AM (in response to joeyverville)

I tend very strongly to morning runs. I run outdoors year-round, and I find that there's far less traffic to deal with if I'm on the road early. I also work two jobs, and that means I'm often getting home between 8 and 10pm, so I just don't have it in the tank to get out there so late. Finally, I feel really good after my runs, so it's a fantastic start to my day.

I'll occassionally run in the evenings if something has come up such that I can't do my morning run, but that's pretty rare. Mornings are where it's at for me!

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...