Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2047 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2009 3:23 PM by strangerthanfitness RSS
Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
Jan 16, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

May 20, 2009 3:58 PM

WTH is wrong with my ankle!

I really just want to whine because there isn't anything I can do other than wait this out.  But strangely I seem to have a minor ankle sprain although I don't remember injuring it.  A few days ago it felt tender, like it feels when you twist your ankle except that I never twisted it.  I put on an ankle brace and ran.  It actually didn't hurt too much when I was running, but felt much worse afterwards when I was walking.  The next day I ran again - same story.  I could run okay, although it was sore, but when I stopped I could barely walk.  Day Three - same thing, Day Four (today) I stopped running after two miles because I could feel it seizing up I and hobbled back to my car.  It hurt so bad!! I simply must take off a few days of running and I am NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!

I don't think this is a overuse injury from running because I haven't increased my mileage, distances, speed or anything else.  I haven't done a race. The only POSSIBLE thing I did was one day last week I decided attack a steep hill on my route with a different method by toeing off and trying to use my lower legs to propel me up the hill rather than a normal running stride.  My ankle didn't hurt right after I did that, it was a couple of days later, but that is the ONLY thing I have done even slightly different than usual.   ??????

I guess I really just want to whine because it figures that the weather is gorgeous this week - it is cool and dry and sunny, perfect running weather.   And its not like I can even walk instead of run because it actually hurts worse when I'm walking.  WTH?

• dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    1. May 20, 2009 6:21 PM (in response to Marykb)
    Re: WTH is wrong with my ankle!

Sorry to hear that! Hmmm.... I don't have much advice, except to ask why the heck you would use your lower legs to toe off and push yourself up a hill~?! OWWW!  It makes my long-since-healed shin splints ache all over again just thinking about it, and somewhere in North Carolina, Danny Dreyer (founder of Chi Running) is having an apoplectic fit!      But seriously, I sympathize that you can't run right now. Listen to your ankle and rest it. Bummer.

• dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    3. May 21, 2009 9:57 PM (in response to Marykb)

I live on a hillside overlooking our town, and the last three blocks to my house are quite steep (as in, our vehicles can't always make it up when it snows). I get lots of hill workouts when I run anywhere from my house and back. The steeper the hill, the shorter your stride will need to be. Here are a couple of good posts in case you're interested! (and no, I don't know a darned thing about T'ai Chi but still get a lot of good info and visualizations from Danny Dreyer's descriptions.)

http://www.chirunning.com/shop/pages.php?tab=r&pageid=18&id=24

http://chirunning.com/blogs/frost/tag/pelvic-rotation/ (this is one post from a blog by one of the ChiLiving employees, Liz Frost, who really wasn't much of a runner but started training for a half marathon last fall. If you really have to take a break from running and have an afternoon to kill, read it from the beginning! She did a great job describing her training and her HM, which was a success.)

This one is a Word document that they use as a handout, evidently:

.doc

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    4. May 21, 2009 11:21 PM (in response to Marykb)

A few other thoughts - there's also a chance it could be due to a new pair of non-running shoes, or to an older pair that needs replacing. Or (cringe...) high heels, if you wear them, can also cause all sorts of lower leg problems.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• strangerthanfitness Pro 120 posts since
    Dec 3, 2008
    6. May 25, 2009 3:23 PM (in response to Marykb)

I wonder if you just have a high pain threshold and did not notice a minor roll of the ankle.  I have a darn high pain threshold and miss things that end up causing pain later.  Things like walking over a curb and tweaking your ankle may not have hurt at the time, but swell and become inflamed later, causing pain you did not expect.  I would venture to say something like that happend to you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...