Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

15213 Views 166 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2009 6:11 PM by Stephanei Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Previous Next
  • terkins Rookie 3 posts since
    May 27, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. May 27, 2009 10:52 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Boston's Run to Remember Reviews

I agree with others that this race is awesome and for a good cause to run, something to do Memorial Day weekend too.  Have only run the 5 mile event, thinking about doing the 1/2 on this course some day.   Organization and post-race food was adequate.  T-Shirts and medals are excellent.   New timing chips were good too, don't have to worry about chasing after unreturned chips; and/or bending over to untie when runners are sore.  Will definitely run this event again.  The only bad thing (not anything against the race) is the price to park to get there so early in the morning.

• Megan Dougherty Rookie 2 posts since
    May 18, 2009
    61. May 27, 2009 10:53 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half and the first for this race. I agree with not enough water stations, and at the stations they weren't filling water quick enough. But other than that I had a blast and loved the course!

• Dev_A Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 17, 2009
    62. May 27, 2009 10:53 AM (in response to Guest )

First water stop was at close to five miles,  running 5 miles without water is not idle for everyone.

• Shari Abrams Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 5, 2008
    63. May 27, 2009 10:54 AM (in response to Guest )

I picked up my number at the expo on Saturday and found it lacking, a criticism some other people have mentioned. But it was nice to arrive at the race with my chip already on my sneaker and my number pinned to my shirt. The race organizers need to tell the MBTA to expect large crowds on the Silver Line from South Station on race day (they left the buses on a Sunday schedule, which meant we were jammed onto buses that came infrequently).

My sister-in-law ran the half marathon (or 12.9 miles, as it turns out) so my family and I were mystified when we went through a second rendition of the presentation of the colors and singing of the national anthem. The delay in starting the race was somewhat aggravating as well.

I LOVED the 5-mile course. It would have been nice to have more spectators along certain parts but it seems like they were out in good numbers for the half marathoners. I didn't notice any issues with water stations since I am in the habit of running with my own water bottle. The finish line was fine, and I appreciated not being placed into a chute, but it was WAY too hot inside the expo center. And I would have preferred not to be forced inside right away, since I wanted to find my family first.

• Zero501 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    64. May 27, 2009 10:55 AM (in response to Guest )

I ran this race for the first time in 2007 and everything was perfect.  This year, however, I agree with everyone else that there weren't enough water stations.  The finish was poorly organized and the lack of water bottles or anything other than a dixie cup of water was frustrating.  Nonetheless, the route is great and the race is for a good cause so I'll definitely run it again.

• scubascottt Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    65. May 27, 2009 10:55 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first 1/2 marathon so I don't have a lot to go by. I had a great time running the race. It could have used a lot more toilets on the route though. I think I saw 4 total and there were long lines of unhappy runners.  A few more water stops would have been nice also. (the website said every ~2 miles I think it was more like ~4)

I think the route was great! How often do you get to run in down town Boston without dodging cars!

• Natnoodle11 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    66. May 27, 2009 10:56 AM (in response to Guest )

It was a really great course and race. It would have been nice to have more spectators, but I don't think this is the fault of the race crew. I found the stations to be adequete, but I don't tend to use gu and drink during the race unless at all necessary.

I would have like to have seen more at the expo center - I was coming expecting there to be more free things and vendors which unfortuantely there was not.

The course was great, the new chip system was awesome, and there was plenty of room to stretch and get ready for the race. Will probably run it next year!

• Regsta Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 25, 2008
    67. May 27, 2009 10:57 AM (in response to Guest )

I have to agree with most of these reviews, I ran the 1/2 marathon and was really surprised that the first water station wasn't until mile 4, really enjoyed the course, but was the finish line was major screw up, people runninng into each other at the bottleneck, why not use the corral sytem like many other races, where was the beer?

• cjquinn21 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 27, 2009
    68. May 27, 2009 10:58 AM (in response to Guest )

I understand from reading the other postings some of the events that were the cause of my miserable experience on Sunday.  I couldn't believe the lack of water stations.  Not only were there only 4 of them, they were so overwhelmed that the volunteers were frantically trying to fill the cups fast enough and as a result, there were only about 2 sips in each.  I figured that I would hold out for the next stop, but I didn't realize that meant an additional three miles in the direct sun.

The finish line was a disaster.  I had two priorities: water and bathroom stop.  I managed after about 10 minutes of standing in a crowd of dripping wet runners to score a bottle of water, but I never managed the bathroom stop.  I tried to make it across to the other side where I thought the bathrooms were located, but couldn't make it and eventually gave up and just went home.

Won't do this one again.

• mdarba Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    69. May 27, 2009 11:05 AM (in response to Guest )

I ran the half. I enjoyed the race as I did last year. I had no problem with the water stops, I think it was pretty much the same as last year. I was very disappointed in the expo - in fact what expo? It was a waste of time going down there Saturday. I would have been better off picking up my number on Sunday morning.

The finish line was a disaster. They should not let non runners in there. I had to contend with two strollers while trying to get in to get a bottle of water.

I will run it again next year.

• Corinne1014 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 27, 2009
    70. May 27, 2009 11:06 AM (in response to Guest )

The course was great and overall a very scenic run, however, there were not nearly enough water stations.  Additionally, there were hardly any bathrooms along the route.  When I finally arrived at a porta-potty, there was only one and several people were in line for it.  Waiting added about 7 minutes to my race time.

• slug9000 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 27, 2009
    71. May 27, 2009 11:06 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half marathon, and I did enjoy myself a lot. There were pros and cons to this event:

Pros:

-Packet pick-up the day before the race was quick and easy.

-The finisher's medal is high-quality.

-The route is great and very scenic.

Cons:

-There were definitely not enough water stations. There were water stations maybe every four miles or so, not every two miles as stated on the website.

-There were not enough portable toilets on the race course or at the starting line. People were still waiting in line at the toilets two minutes before start time.

-The bag check was not properly manned. When I got my bag, no one was watching the bags.

-There was not a good selection of appropriate food at the finish line.

I will probably run it again, but I will not check my bag, and I will bring my own water bottle for the course, and I will pack my own food for after the race.

• Spandex Amateur 16 posts since
    May 27, 2009
    72. May 27, 2009 11:06 AM (in response to DDrunnergirl)

Ah DORREEN, I wish that had been me next to you!

Depite the lack of water stations, I would like to say that the finisher medal is beautiful.

• billmckeon Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    73. May 27, 2009 11:08 AM (in response to Guest )

My third run to remember and 14th half marathon. 

I agree with all the other comments about lack of facilities along the route, shortened course, lovely day.  Here are a few of my own...I ran with a Newbie and finished toward the back of the pack.  No food left.  Medals were hard to find.  The short sleeve tee shirt is a waste.  Either give out long sleeve cotton, or short sleeve dryfit/coolmax.  Was there a live band at the end this year or did I miss it?

PLEASE ASK YOUR VOLUNTEERS TO KEEP THEIR FINGERS OUT OF THE DRINKING CUPS. 

Better luck next year.

• Kidleen Rookie 1 posts since
    May 27, 2009
    74. May 27, 2009 11:22 AM (in response to Guest )

Where were the EMERGENCY AID STANDS oh wait at the end of the race... are you serious?? How about throughout the race-The water stations were very disorganized. At mile 6 I had a bad blood blister on my foot and no one was around to help. There should def. be first aid help around. There was a state trooper on every corner but no emergency care. Also, the end of the race was a disaster. Too many people in the finish line area. No water bottles available at the end of the race and the volunteeers seemed very overwhelmed. This should be organized by now. Next year take these comments into consideration!

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...