Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1750 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2009 2:16 PM by Barry11
Meegan3 Amateur 16 posts since
Feb 23, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 27, 2009 2:07 PM

swimming distance

I'm entering my first sprint tri in august and it is a 500 yard swim...probably a stupid question, but what is this distance in miles/laps/? also, is it acceptiable to NOT swim the crawl stroke for the entire distance? I'm a bit concerned I may not make it!! thanks!!

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. May 27, 2009 2:24 PM (in response to Meegan3)
    Re: swimming distance

depends if your pool is meters or yard. usually in the US theyare 25 yards (sometimes 50 yards) if it's a 25 yard pool and you count a lap as up and back that is 10 laps or 20 individual lengths. but then add a little cause you sometimes swim off course due to navigation errors or to avoid crowds.

all swim strokes are legal but if you do breastroke don't do it near other people cause accidently kicking them in the head is not a good way to make friends.

you are also allowed to stop and treadwater/float to catch your breathe as well as hang onto a kayak to rest (just can't use it for forward motion)

good luck and have fun

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• Firstwave1 Amateur 28 posts since
    May 14, 2009
    2. May 29, 2009 5:07 PM (in response to Joe_h1)

I have the same issues about getting from point A to point B. I am very new at swimming and have not gotten the courage to try my first tri. Anyway, I read some where that doing the breast stroke in an event was a bad idea because your neighbors wouldn't appreciate the splashing and all. You're a funny guy Joe_H1.

• Billiken on the Run Pro 135 posts since
    Nov 28, 2007
    3. May 29, 2009 10:53 AM (in response to Meegan3)

For the yard-to-other measures conversion, 500 yards is:

0.284 miles

0.247 nautical miles

0.4572 kilometers (457.2 meters) 

Good luck!

• Joyce88224 Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 8, 2009
    4. May 31, 2009 11:02 AM (in response to Meegan3)

I am really glad that I read your post.  I was planning to swim the breast stroke if I get too tired.  I can go forever with the breaststroke.  Do you think it will be okay if I stay out of everyone's way.  I am not competing for a time....just to finish.  With the crawl I get off course sometimes unless I am in a pool.

• Barry11 Legend 332 posts since
    Dec 5, 2007
    5. May 31, 2009 2:16 PM (in response to Joyce88224)

You can do any stroke you want.  A LOT of people switch out of the crawl during the race.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...