Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1605 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2009 9:16 AM by Steelkilt RSS
Steelkilt Rookie 4 posts since
May 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 28, 2009 5:20 AM

Conservative Treatment for Compartment Syndrome

After 10 years of sedentary sloth, I began running again this spring.  A Clydesdale , I was up to 3 miles day, 5 miles on Saturday, with Sunday off.  Feeling great.  I run in New Balance 1011's with Superfeet inserts.  Then I started having problems with my left leg.  After 10 minutes of running, my foot would begin to flop on the pavement, and I developed pain in the outside of my shin.  I could not finish two runs in a row.  Went to see a podiatrist, who gave me some stretches to do.  These did not help.  He suspects I have lateral compartment syndrome. I have stopped running completely, and I am going crazy.

I see a sports MD in a few weeks, but in reading up on LCS, all I see is surgery.  Has anyone tried -- with success -- other, more conservative methods. i.e., compression stocking, different shoes, different orthotics, massage, acupuncture, aromatherapy, voodoo, etc.? 

Help!  I am desperate to get back on the roads!

Thanks,

PJL

• aj01 Pro 143 posts since
    Jul 8, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 31, 2009 12:18 AM (in response to Steelkilt)
    Re: Conservative Treatment for Compartment Syndrome

I haven't had compartment sydrome and I'm not a dr. so keep that in mind but it's possible that time may help some.  Compartment sydrome comes from the fascia around the muscles not expanding enough and cutting off circulation to the muscles.  Over time the fascia around your shin muscles could catch up.  Massage may help.  Just don't try to push through it because it can be serious.  If it still continues then surgery may be your best option.  It's supposed to be pretty minor.  Good luck.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...