Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

906 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2009 12:01 PM by Damien Howell
kotoole84 Rookie 2 posts since
Feb 24, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

May 22, 2009 11:33 AM

Stress fracture???

Hey everyone,

I recently qualified for the NYC Marathon and have been training with some decently high mileage (50-60 a week) for the last few months to get ready.  I developed what I think is a stress fracture in my left leg a few inches above my ankle.  I had an x-ray done and it came back negative and I have an MRI tomorrow which I will most likely get the results back from on Tuesday.

I was wondering what sort of experience people have had with this injury before? At this point, I think I may have to write off the Marathon for this year but I really don't want to.  I'll be completely bummed because I was so excited to qualify.  What kind of mileage will I be able to do when I finally get back into it?  Is it going to be anywhere near enough time to get back into shape and run NYC? Please share your experience and success stories with this injury! I need something positive! Thanks everyone. 

• strangerthanfitness Pro 120 posts since
    Dec 3, 2008
    1. May 22, 2009 7:59 PM (in response to kotoole84)
    Re: Stress fracture???

Oh boy, I hope its not a stress fracture.  The only treatment for that kind of injury is a brace and as little weight on it as possible.  A stress fracture must have time to rebuild the bone that has cracked and for that to happen you must not have any substantial weight on it.  I hate to say this but you will NOT be able to run for at least 4 weeks depending on the severity, and as long as 16 weeks in some extreme cases.  Now, as to running when you are all healed up...if you only have to take a month off, I would imagine you would be able to regain your stamina for the race on November 1st.  In general your body does not atrophy for around 16 days and as long as you have a good plan you may still be able to do your race.  Lets hope its not a stress fracture that requires more than a month to heal.  Good luck and either way, you have done more than most people will ever do that is qualify for the NYC Marathon!

• NeilPaulson Expert 46 posts since
    Sep 28, 2008
    2. May 28, 2009 8:40 PM (in response to kotoole84)

I had a bone scan Friday which confirmed my tibia stress fracture right below the knee and had to cancel plans for the LA Marathon. Now I will not run for 2-3 months. Instead I am doing low impact aerobics, spinning bike classes and tomorrow I try yoga.

The world will not end if you have a FX. Just be patient and try again later with a marathon.

• strangerthanfitness Pro 120 posts since
    Dec 3, 2008
    4. May 29, 2009 7:55 AM (in response to kotoole84)

Interesting, on one hand im glad its not a stress fracture, but its too bad you dont have a diagnosis.  An MRI is very hard core, its super detailed and gives a very clear image of the area.  What ever is causing you pain is in that picture unless its a nerve issue somewhere else.  My bet is that you have some kind of tendinitis.  As to why you may have tendinitis, im not sure I can help answer that from here.  Ask your doctor to be specific about what is causing your pain and mention tendinitis.  Does taking ibuprofen help with the pain?  That is an anti-inflammatory and should help with that kind of pain.  Let me know.  Do some reading on the subject, I left you a good link in this message.

• Damien Howell Legend 312 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    5. May 29, 2009 12:01 PM (in response to kotoole84)

This short article Diagnosis of Repititive Use Injury, does not specfically answer your question, but it does provide some direction on where or how you might find an answer.  If this is truely a running injury ask "could the manner in which I run contribute to the injury?". 

Damien Howell MS, PT, OCS - www.damienhowellpt.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...