Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2569 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2009 7:01 PM by vgema001
Renee Sabina Rookie 4 posts since
Nov 29, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 26, 2009 4:12 PM

Half to Full Marathon

I am doing my first half-marathon in August in NYC.  I have my running plan and feel good about it.  I was previously a triathlete and switched to just running this year.  Is it crazy to then do the Philadelphia Marathon in November?  Is that enough time in between? I know I would need to increase my distances for the long runs.  Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

• rncross Rookie 3 posts since
    May 29, 2009
    1. May 29, 2009 4:26 PM (in response to Renee Sabina)
    Re: Half to Full Marathon

Should not be a problem.

Training for a full means a half every weekend for months on end.

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    2. Jun 24, 2009 2:24 PM (in response to Renee Sabina)

You should start a full marathon training program in the next week or so and fit the half marathon in as part of the program - I`m running both the NYC Half and Full this year - I will run the half as a pace test so I`ll run it at my half marathon pace and adjust my other training that week - I have another half and 18 mile race later in the year and I will run those at or just below marathon pace - just use them as training runs

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• vgema001 Rookie 5 posts since
    Oct 20, 2008
    3. Jul 6, 2009 7:01 PM (in response to Renee Sabina)

I have a friend of my who used to run and now is getting back into full time. She wants to attempt her first half marathon and ask me to send her some information to help her out. I wrote her a big post on my blog Trys4Dummies.com It is most about triathlons although that article in there has everything you need to get into marathons. There are also several posted that relate to running and nutrition as well.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points