Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

13927 Views 108 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2009 7:45 PM by Jim24315 Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next
  • Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    105. May 31, 2009 2:54 PM (in response to Spareribs823)
    Re: May - 50 Plus Training and Racing

Great story Ribs,

Hope you don't fill too guilty about spending your winnings. You've come a long way baby!

Jim

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    106. May 31, 2009 4:14 PM (in response to Jim24315)

Agree with Jim, Ribs. You didn't know that they were handling the awards differently, and the handicap thing took you by surprise--Enjoy.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    107. May 31, 2009 6:17 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Thanks so much Jim and Sierra, but as much fun as it was to "win", the whole thing has bothered me all day.  I talked it over with the Saint and I am going to give the prize back to the RD and ask him to use it for an upcoming race where maybe some newbies can get some reward from it, even if they pick names out of a hat for door prizes for people showing up, it would be great for his monthly race.  These guys do it on a shoestring and don't need old guys playing games with each other.

I figure I win in two ways.  I got to brag on the internet a bit, and by clearing my conscience about the prize that relieves me of the whole issue.   Spareribs

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    108. May 31, 2009 7:45 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Ribs,

It woudn't bother me even a tiny bit. You ran the race they based your handicap on to the best of your ability and you did the same thing in this one. If the director didn't allow for the possibiity that someone could improve, then that's his mistake. I've run in a few handicap races, and for every one the runners have been asked to predict their times the day of the race or on the entry. If you had been asked I'm sure you would have predicted something very close to what you ran. You didn't sandbag! You just improved through good ol' fashioned hard work.

Don't you dare give that thing back! There couldn't possibly have been a more deserving runner in that field.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...