Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9637 Views 102 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2009 10:28 AM by Spareribs823 RSS 1 2 3 ... 7 Previous Next
fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
Dec 17, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 1, 2009 9:23 AM

June - 50 Plus Training and Racing

3 inches of snow in North Bay, Ontario, yesterday.

May 31 - 21 miles easy - 44F

June 1 - 8 miles easy, 53F

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    2. Jun 1, 2009 9:39 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: June - 50 Plus Training and Racing

Ribs - guess that washing maching motor they put in is a keeper.  Nice racing.   How close to that pace were you before the surgery and were healthy?

Fred - 3 inches of snow?   Good grief.   So you just go out and run 21 miles?   I know you don't race but you should once in a while so I could say "I know Fred; did you see what he ran last week?"   

Hie Sierra

Nice to see Jim pop in once in a while.  He's famous you know! 

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    4. Jun 1, 2009 9:52 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Fred, I've only had 2 coaches.  One in high school and the other community college.  Neither of them cared if you were sick, or throwing up, or whatever.  All they wanted was for us to get the workouts in.   They were right of course.  If we were healthy enough to show up; we were healthy enough to run.   If someone was really sick; they better stay home and miss the workout.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    8. Jun 1, 2009 5:12 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Spareribs, what a great story.  I say keep the winnings, it's no one's fault but your own you're running so well.

I'm still logging miles, last week got me to 38 with a 14 mile long run.  I'm running a half marathon this weekend, I pre-registered quite a while ago so will make the best of it.

Good runs all...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    9. Jun 2, 2009 5:05 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

Hi Rich, KS, Ribs, Fred, Jim, and Simon (and Euphoric and Paul, wherever you are, and anyone else I missed)....

Rich, good luck on your half marathon this weekend. That's a good number of miles logged last week. It must feel good to be off the skis and on the roads now...Report back to us on it....

4.3 miles today at work at noon on the strawberry fields loop, which I cut short by taking side streets past car dealerships. Pretty exciting The car dealerships had music blasting, perhaps to appeal to those searching for cars. The lots were empty, though.

The run was easy and I felt pretty good after I warmed up after a mile and the little bit of stiffness from the long run wore off. I've been thinking that it takes a little while to get back into racing shape when one hasn't raced regularly for more than a decade.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Jun 1, 2009 8:06 PM (in response to SierraLauren)

KS, most of '08 was heart related stuff, with the surgery taking place on July 31, so yesterday's race was the 9 months anniversary since the operation.  In '07 the whole second half of the year I was struggling with glute/piriformis/hamstring/sciatica stuff.  But just before that, through the spring of '07 I ran the fiveK in 20 minutes and some seconds, around 6:40 pace.

Hey, I found the June thread with no one having to remind me!  4.4 slow on the dirt followed by full flex and core work at the Y. 

Now here is a gracious thing.  Every Sunday I usually run long or hard, so on Monday it's almost always a short slow recovery run.  I have a good friend, early 40's, South African woman, about a 3:25 marathoner, in April she ran the Two Oceans race in Capetown.  She also runs pretty hard on Sundays, but always joins me on Monday for my recovery run.  Of course she could run just as hard on Monday, but she is always so kind about it and will say, "Now let's go really slow today because I am tired from yesterday," and then runs slowly at my pace.  I know of course that she is just slowing down to run with me and doesn't want to say so.  Pretty classy of her I think.  Spareribs

• rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    13. Jun 2, 2009 1:01 PM (in response to fred-urie)

(A momentary panic when my old bookmark to this forum stopped working, but I eventually found my way here.)

Ran the Dexter - Ann Arbor HM on Sunday with a 1:58:32. Considering I hadn't raced more than a 5K in a year and a half, and only ran a couple of easy 10-milers before this one, I was very pleased with my time. The racing conditions couldn't have been much better, although the humidity was a tad high. I felt fine yesterday and today, so maybe my injury really is history at last! Now if I can just keep from repeating it...

I don't know about the rest of you, but I rather enjoyed this race from the standpoint that I was surrounded the whole way by runners a lot younger then me (by 10-20 years or more), and there I was running right with them at 62 and passing more than a few. I finished mid-pack in a field of 2500, but considering the age distribution (just 37 in my AG vs. 100s in the 40s and 50s AGs), I can't complain. Or maybe I'm just passing over into geezerdom.

• SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009
    14. Jun 2, 2009 1:02 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Hi everyone!

Ribs, I liked the story about the handicap race- they do it in golf, and we all accept age groups and age grading. But it's your decision. 

Fred- or anyone- what do you think of the Aussie Rob de Castella? I seem to remember he was nicknamed "the Gorilla" for some reason. I think he also ran very high miles.

There seem to be a lot of Italian coaches in Kenya, I could understand Ethiopia, given the history, but why Kenya? I read the ghost-written "autobiography" of Paul Tergat, who was coached by an Italian, forget the name right now. From the name I assume the coach mentioned in the Canova thread is Italian, who knows these days?

Comrades was won this year by a Zimbabwean, Stephen Muzhingi, I just mention this because I lived in Zimbabwe until the age of 20, back when it was Rhodesia.

1 2 3 ... 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...