Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

4468 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2009 11:12 AM by Kyle39
dbrown1177 Amateur 39 posts since
Sep 25, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 21, 2008 2:42 PM

Fathers and balancing work/family/fitness

Wondering if any fathers can provide insight on how to balance work, family, and fitness demands.

I sometimes take the family dog out with me. Sometimes on my short runs I take my son and he rides his bike along.

Finally, sometimes I have ot get up before everybody gets up. Flexability seems to be the key.

Just a thread for the fathers to share......

• mgehres Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 23, 2008
    1. Jan 14, 2009 9:44 AM (in response to dbrown1177)
    Re: Fathers and balancing work/family/fitness

I find it very difficult to find that time.  I feel guilty when I'm working out that I should be at home or doing something w/ the kids and I feel guilty when I don't get to my work out.  It's been 3 years and I still have trouble doing it!  I find it very hard to run or lift at 4:30am or on the other end at 8pm after they go to bed.

• Barry11 Legend 332 posts since
    Dec 5, 2007
    2. Jan 19, 2009 1:02 PM (in response to dbrown1177)

Flexibility is the key for me.  And when I say flexibility, its not just me being flexible, but also the wife and kids being flexible. Everyone needs time to do something for themselves and for those that want to be active, this is our choice.  I guess for me it helps my wife is also active.

I also find when I get my training in, the time I spend on other things (i.e. kids) is much better time. 

• PedDoc1 Pro 159 posts since
    Apr 25, 2008
    4. Jan 24, 2009 5:57 AM (in response to dbrown1177)

It's ALL about the spouse!!!  That sounds stupid, but it's true.  I have a couple of hobbies that both take some time.  Running is one. Building scale models is the other.  I have been blessed with a wife that understands my "need" to do both.  My kids are getting older and aren't so demanding.  I also understand her need to get out of the house on a regular basis.  We're also lucky in that she doesn't work outside the home very much, giving her a little (keyword, little) extra time to herself.  I make sure she has a chance to sleep in when I can. I often run while she's getting the kids ready for school.  If I got involved in that, both of us would be yelling at the kids and that's no good.  Time building models is often spent in the same space, she on the computer, me at my workbench.

BUT, it all comes down to your spouse.  If he or she is not understanding... you're SOL.

05/09 Bridge the Gap, Quincy, Ill HM: 1:45:27
  • Kyle39 Legend 202 posts since
    Sep 8, 2008
    5. Jun 4, 2009 11:12 AM (in response to dbrown1177)

I have a wife and three boys.  The only way I can make it happen is to get up before 5:30am and go get it done early.  Otherwise it doesn't happen.  I've trained for two marathons that way, and sometimes I've had to be creative.  One weekend last year I had a 20-mile run scheduled and my wife had to be somewhere early both Saturday and Sunday mornings.  I wound up going out at 10pm Saturday night and running until almost 2am.  That had to be the most boring workout in my life - nearly four hours of running in the dark with a headlamp on - and of course no iPod because I want to hear any cars coming.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...