Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

13419 Views 99 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2009 4:29 AM by JoeInTX Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next
  • eponacelt Pro 63 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Jun 4, 2009 5:37 PM (in response to JP1983JP)
    Re: 1/2 Marathon Trainers, Week of May 31st

John - I seriously considered the VB HM, but I suck in the heat.  And VB in early September can be hot, although being from Tampa, I'm guessing its not so much of an issue for you!  Good luck and have fun.  Friends of mine who have run it say its a great race and tons of fun.

chamblin - How on earth do you get so many shout outs going, and keep everyone straight?  I'm impressed.

Recent:  11/14/2010  OBX Half Marathon 2:28:15

4/10/2011  Flying Pirate Half Marathon 2:31:15

• misswendy! Legend 1,056 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    76. Jun 4, 2009 6:46 PM (in response to eponacelt)

hey yall

didnt run today, just one more chance to let my foot rest some.  my legs were stressed last night late as well from a long day yesterday so i rested.

sue...too bad about the dog. i'm sure it was nothing personal....lol looking forward to hearing your training/race reports for oct.

runjr...good tempo run. you are my hero.

jill...hope you find a plan with more miles. i love more miles.

lorie....great job on resting...lol

eponacelt...lol on your husband! you will really make him proud. ryan hall said he was really in awe of those of us who run a marathon in 4 + hours. he said he couldnt imagine running for 4 hours straight!

cara...be afraid....be very afraid....LOL! you will have a blast. 40000! thats almost 2X the runners in sandiego. wow!

macd...plz...i have to clean my garmin?!?!?! ugh. lol. great job on 2.6. my foot is about normal, still pretty sore.

kukri...you are training your body to store more fuel in your leg muscles as you run longer distances. you'll never consume enough while running, but you will have more as you add miles. also, you can probably run longer than you think without much carb replacement. keep trying, maybe get a spibelt? i dont have one, but i have seen them work really well to store gu/beans/whatever. make sure you something light/carb for breakfast pre run on sunday. primarily focus on hydrating during run, whether its water or sports drink. taking sips mid run is definitely something you must practice. btw... i am as southern as i can be and i sweat like a pig. lol. just be sure you keep drinking post run throughout the remainder of the day, so that dehydration doesnt sneak up on you. also focusing on hydrating the day before a long sweaty run will help. lots of talking for me, hope this helps and hope it all works out. ps i am not an expert! read up on hydrating/fueling on runnersworld.com

megan....seen a lot of those things, they look handy.

love to all

• squeiladee Expert 50 posts since
    Mar 12, 2001
    77. Jun 4, 2009 7:44 PM (in response to misswendy!)

Hey all!  I did 3 mi tonight at a decent pace (dead Garmin plague has hit me too apparently...although mine could be that I forgot plug it in...).  So pace was probably somewhere around 9:40-ish.

I went to the running store today and man! I'd forgotten how much I love new running gear!  The poor people there kept asking me if I needed help b/c I was just kind of wandering around staring at all the pretty stuff.  So much fun.  Did end up getting the new Helium fuel belt.  Give it a go.  They had it in PINK!  How fun is that?!

I'm sorry, I can't remember who asked, but no, this isn't my first 5K - it's my 3rd.  The last one I ran was like 3-4 years ago.  I think I did it in 28 min?

Sheila

5K PR: I Like Ike (6/13/09) 27:14 (1st in age group!)

10K PR: Hottest Half 10K (first 10K)  57:51

Upcoming Races:
    Arts Fest Celebrate the Run 15K (first 15K) 9/19/09
    Fall Classic 5K Trail Run (first trail race) 10/3/09
    DRC Half Marathon (first HM) 11/1/09

• Cara_26.2 Pro 711 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    78. Jun 5, 2009 8:50 AM (in response to squeiladee)

Hey everyone,

Did my weights class last night which was hard as always but good fun! This morning was an easy 4 miles. It was tough as with all my runs this week but it did feel a little better that Thursdays run. I think I am tired and not really hydrated enough so that can't be helping... I will get a lie in tomorrow though so hopefully will be better... plus it looks like there may be a dry window for my run in the morning

Macd - glad to hear you got those Garmin issues sorted! I'm struggling with the early to bed too... Latest weather forecast looks ok until mid afternoon so no excuses for those 14 miles

JP - Looks like you have plenty of time to train! Have you started on a plan already for that Feb HM?

Kukri - looks like you have a great list of lessons learnt and thanks for sharing! For info I don't eat before any of my morning runs and have gone up to 9 miles that way with no fuel on the run without problem. I do eat as soon as I get back though - I know everyone is different, but I think you do get used to it...

Meg - thanks for the link... i'm wondering what to do with gels on my long run as my pouch will only hold one or two - think that'd not go with my fuel belt though... hmmm

Epon - I can tell you that my memory is poor, but having posted on here for about a year and a half I learnt a long time ago that you need to open notepad (or something similar), respond to the posts whilst reading them in said notepad, then copy and paste into the response box! This also helps when the site is playing up and tries to eat your posts

Misswendy - hope the foot (and the rest of you) is recovering well! I am slightly nervous on the number of runners at Berlin... I hope it doesn't stop me from going at my own pace... I think I am more worried about completing the distance tho - if all I have to worry about is people getting in my way I will be really pleased

Sheila - LOL on the Garmin - hope charging it resolved the problem I love running gear too and would not be able to resist a pink fuel belt!

Nearly home time now - best part of the day - especially on a Friday!!! 

Happy running all,

Cara x

PR's

18/04/2010 Brighton Marathon: 4:23:45

21/02/2010 Sussex Beacon Half Marathon: 1:51:30

• squeiladee Expert 50 posts since
    Mar 12, 2001
    79. Jun 5, 2009 10:20 AM (in response to Cara_26.2)

OMG - I just registered for the DRC Half in November in Dallas! That's a step farther than I made it last time!

5K PR: I Like Ike (6/13/09) 27:14 (1st in age group!)

10K PR: Hottest Half 10K (first 10K)  57:51

Upcoming Races:
    Arts Fest Celebrate the Run 15K (first 15K) 9/19/09
    Fall Classic 5K Trail Run (first trail race) 10/3/09
    DRC Half Marathon (first HM) 11/1/09

• sunshineangeljrs Pro 127 posts since
    Nov 16, 2008
    80. Jun 5, 2009 10:42 AM (in response to JoeInTX)

Happy Almost weekend everyone!!!!!!!

Did my "run" yesterday, and it was ROUGH and TOUGH.  Sigh.  Feel like I'm loosing my running chops..........oh well, more running today and then a day off.  FINALLY.  Maybe I'm just getting tired.  Long week (yeah, I KNOW it's no longer than normal, but some weeks, they seem longer.........)........hoping to hit at least the 5K mark today.

Icky out, so it will be another treadmill run.........

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend.....OF COURSE, I will be biking on Sunday!!!  And climbing hills to get to my sons house; is that cross training?

Happy Weekend!

Jill

• Spandex Amateur 16 posts since
    May 27, 2009
    81. Jun 5, 2009 12:24 PM (in response to sunshineangeljrs)

Happy Friday!

I am going to do cross training today (4 miles on the stair master) to try and keep my cardio up. I find this gives my shins less trouble than if I try to do intervals.

I also have a sports massage scheduled for tomorrow (so exicted! my first one!) --I will let you all know how it goes.

Spandex

• Heather10009 Rookie 3 posts since
    May 30, 2009
    82. Jun 5, 2009 12:47 PM (in response to runjr)

Hi Everyone!

Got up at 4am to meet a friend to go run 6 miles! My husband this morning says to me, "Have a good run, I'll still be here." Meaning he'll still be in bed sleeping by the time I would be back. I had to laugh at that. The run was good but it was raining and my earbuds kept slipping out!! Other than that it was fun and I felt exhilarated when we finished.  This afternoon I did notice that I'm a little sore where my left femur meets my pelvis. I have to go pick up my daughter. Take care.

Heather

• chuck43 Expert 1,054 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    83. Jun 5, 2009 3:42 PM (in response to Heather10009)

hey everyone, just checking in. Hopefully I'll run 16 in the morning. Was thinking of doing 6 and then a 5k at 10pm but changed my mind as it's just to far away to drive back at night by myself. Afraid of falling a sleep. So I'll stick to my 16 miler. Hope everyone is doing great and welcome to our new runners!

• Jim66441 Amateur 25 posts since
    Apr 24, 2009
    84. Jun 5, 2009 3:43 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

chamblin - you don't eat ANYTHING before you go for your runs? That's amazing. I have to have something or I get horrible cramps/stitches. Usually before my long runs (which I tend to do on Saturday mornings) I'll have a medium Dunkin' coffee and four donuts. Then I wait about 30 minutes and I'm good. But I absolutely have to have something before I go any further than 2 miles. And even for 2 I needs my coffee.

squeiladee - woo hoo for registering!!! you're going to do great, i'm sure.

Spandex - have a good massage. You're going to love it, I'm sure.

Heather - pay close attention to your femur stuff - you don't want to develop tendinitis.

• jimmysbaby Legend 225 posts since
    Mar 21, 2009
    85. Jun 5, 2009 3:55 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

I ran 3 miles Wednesday, it took me 34 minutes.  I ran at 11 am because that is when my daughter and husband were playing tennis.  It was in the 80's felt like 90's to me.  Last night was kickboxing.  Today I ran 5 miles in 54 minutes.  I walked about 1/2 mile in the middle.  I feel as though I am finally getting into a groove and I will be ready for training.  You guys are a great help.

keep up the good work

Melody

• JP1983JP Amateur 15 posts since
    Nov 21, 2008
    86. Jun 5, 2009 4:21 PM (in response to Cara_26.2)

cham - this is the end of my 2nd week of training - saturdays are my long runs - im going to get 11 in tomorrow AM - take monday and firday off - ran 4 tues, 6.5 wed, 3.1 on thrus (speed work out). so far, so good. I have a couple small races I registered for that are coming up - a 5k next friday night and another 5k trail run the next sunday....the training plan is going to be thrown off a bit but I think I'll be ok

cool thing....im going on vacation in the 3rd week of July to Peru. There are some sick places to run over there, real hily from what I heard. should be a nice break to training. Once I get back, 4 weeks till the RnR Va Beach HM!!! Wish me luck, its my 1st HM!

JP

9/6/09 - RnR HM, VA Beach, VA

2/28/10 - Gasparilla Marathon, Tampa, FL

• Spandex Amateur 16 posts since
    May 27, 2009
    87. Jun 5, 2009 5:48 PM (in response to JP1983JP)

JP1983JP: Where in Peru? I spent 5 weeks living and volunteering there last summer! Make sure to hydrate with the BOTTLED water.

Happy weekend to ALL! Whew that was a long week.

Spandex

• eponacelt Pro 63 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    88. Jun 6, 2009 4:13 AM (in response to Spandex)

Happy Saturday to all!  Just back from a 4.61mile run.  It is cool here this morning, which was nice, and I was able to keep my pace down again and finish feeling pretty strong.  I know slower doesn't sound better to many people, but I think it'll be the key to keeping my back and shins from hurting in the long run. 

misswendy - I hope the foot continues to feel better.

Sheila - Isn't new gear great?  I seriously need some new shorts (or should I consider a skort?), but I'm afraid I'll spend too much if I go into our awesome local running store!

chmablin - thanks for the tip.  Hope your weather window opened.  Its been pretty wet here too!

sunshine - don't lose hope...the sun'll  come out, tomorrow.

Spandex - Hope the massage is fun!

Heather - I hear the same thing from my husband some mornings!

Jim - I don't eat before morning runs either unless I have a good 90 minutes to wait before running.  I'm usually better off with some OJ and then out the door, rather than having breakfast first.

Melody - I give you credit for running in that heat. I just can't do it!

JP - Hope you had a good run.  Peru sounds great, but hilly!

Have a great weekend all!  I'm off to workout the 1000lb beastie now!

--- Heather

Recent:  11/14/2010  OBX Half Marathon 2:28:15

4/10/2011  Flying Pirate Half Marathon 2:31:15

• jimmysbaby Legend 225 posts since
    Mar 21, 2009
    89. Jun 6, 2009 4:28 AM (in response to JP1983JP)

JP - I have been to Peru.  I wasn't running but walking was more difficult there.  We were at bout 8000 feet and the altitude killed me.  I was surprised at how quickly I got out of breath.  I think "hilly" might be an understatement.  Where in Peru are you going?  We were in Arequipa, not too far from Lima.

Melody

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...