Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

37867 Views 374 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2009 1:15 AM by DiscoBandit RSS Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 25 Previous Next
  • HDBaglady Pro 66 posts since
    Jun 5, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Jun 7, 2009 5:16 AM (in response to jodigirl928)
    Re: C25K, starting tomorrow.

Hey there and welcome, we are going to have a good time here supporting each other. The more the merrier!!

Last night I downloaded Robert Ullrey's podcasts for C25K. He has put together some music with ques for when to run and then when to walk. The music is merely just a series of beats that should help keep the tempo/pace up, I like that I won't have to worry about looking at a watch all the time. I personally am not so concerned about how fast I am going. Getting excited.

I have a friend who is a more experienced runner and he is really pushing me and keeping me accountable. Yesterday he suggested I plan a 5lk for the end of this program that it would give me something to look forward to. During my walk/run yesterday I start to imagine myself in a 5k and next thing I knew I was still running and I stopped turned around and said to myself "wow I just ran that far?" He said we need to have a goal to work twards everytime we are out there. So today I will be looking for a local 5k to do in August myself. This is just so exciting isn;t it?  I never in a million years thought I would become a runner and I know it is going to shock my brother. He is 8 years younger than I and has always been athletic, at 38 he is still playing hockey. He will be shocked, I can't wait. i don't plan to tell him I am doing this till I run my first 5k.

Oh, Sassysandra, maybe you could start walking outside while doing your c25k on the treadmill? that might help prepare you for the outdoors. I found it to be reaaally hard just keeping a fast walking pace outdoors. I had been on a treadmill all winter and then went outdoors, it was a huge difference and now I am glad I went outside. I plan to do treadmill on the bad weather days cause I don't want to deviate from the schedule.

Happy trails all!

Bags

• jenyren Pro 105 posts since
    Jun 4, 2009
    76. Jun 7, 2009 5:46 AM (in response to jodigirl928)

Today will take some willpower as the weather in WI is cold and dreary.  I really need to force myself to do W2D1 though b/c the rest of the week is busy and if I want to finish d3 on Friday to maintain my current schedule I have to run today.  I was wondering what all the mp3 users listen to for motivational music.  I have a hard time running w/out music.  Some of my faves are Black Eyed Peas, Gwen Stefani, Eminem, Nellie, AC/DC and old Metallica, even some old Johnny Cash in there, I like a wide variety of music.  Some that make me giggle while I exercise is Justin Timberlake's "Bringing Sexy Back", Sir Mix A Lot "Baby Got Back" and Nellie's "It's Getting Hot in Here".  They all seem to be appropriate.

La Crosse WI Turkey Trot 5K 11/21/09 - 29:28

La Crosse Rotary Lights 5K 12/13/09 - 28:03

Race With Grace 5K, 9/18/10 - 26:03

Reindeer Run 5K, Lakewood OH 12/4/10 - 25:12

Happy Trails 5K, Medina OH 05/29/10 - 24:54

Park 2 Park Half Marathon, Sheffield, OH - 2:10

• Fresian Amateur 42 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    77. Jun 7, 2009 6:19 AM (in response to jodigirl928)

Jenyren, you can do it! Just get out there and run!

Tomorrow starts week 2 for me and I'm really looking forward to it! Yesterday I walked close to 10 miles going through a zoo with my family...5 hours of walking was ridiculous!

• IBmotivated Pro 90 posts since
    May 28, 2009
    78. Jun 7, 2009 10:09 AM (in response to jenyren)

Hey Jenyren, you are right behind me in the program, I just finished W2 D2, you can do it! 

I was cracking up when I read your choice of running tunes... I listen to a lot of the same stuff.  I don't know why, but Sir Mix-a-lot's Baby Got Back always invigorates me - I think it's the tempo. Some of my other faves are: Pink (Hazard to myself), John Mellencamp (ROCK in the USA), Christina Augilera (Fighter), Billy Idol (White Wedding), and every one should have Survivor (Eye of the Tiger) 

Happy Running everyone!

• serenadeofsound Amateur 29 posts since
    Jun 4, 2009
    79. Jun 7, 2009 5:56 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

Wow, thanks for the welcome everyone! This group is so amazingly supportive

I just got back from doing w1d3. I should have done it yesterday, but the gym here closes early on Saturdays and I accidentally missed it. Running outside after dark isn't the best idea, and so that meant that today was my day for w1d3. Well, sort of w1d3. I accidentally made it a lot harder on myself than w1d3 should be. First, I intentionally braved the "other" gym on campus here, the one I had never been in before. The one with a full track in it, rather than treadmills. I figured since I'd been hearing about how different it is to run without a treadmill, it'd be a good idea to give it a shot. Secondly, I accidentally messed up my intervals. Instead of 60s run, 90s walk, I ended up with 60s run 60s walk. I was doing some other cardio intervals last night (jump rope in place, butt kicks, boxing punches, and jumping jacks a la the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred) on 60s intervals, and I forgot to reset my watch. I didn't check it before I went out for my run today. Oops!

But even with those two things, the run was not killer. It wasn't easy, but it was doable. And best of all, it got easier as I went on! It was definitely harder than running on a treadmill. The worst part, I think, was not knowing exactly how fast I was going. I kept not knowing when I needed to be pushing myself faster, or when I was all right. I could also tell that pacing will become an issue for me - I try to go too fast at the beginning, and then I can't keep it up.

Having run without a treadmill once, I'll be doing my utmost to run without it always in the future. Treadmill is great when there is no other option, or when the weather is cold or rainy, but my 5K will be outside and I'm going to do my training outside too. I have yet to figure out how that'll work in the summer. I'm thinking early, early morning or late evening so I don't get heat exhaustion. The gym that I'll be using once I'm home from college doesn't have a running track, so I'm also considering switching gyms to join one that does have a track.

I'm a little unhappy with myself for missing the gym yesterday because now my schedule is messed up for the week to come. In all likelihood, I'll end up taking another two day rest break because otherwise my run would fall on the day that I'm leaving here for the summer, which is a scheduling nightmare and a bad idea for running. But I'll try to put in some other workout time in between, maybe some elliptical or some walking.

On the music subject, I also love hearing sexyback when I run! My gym playlist has a lot from Muse on it, as well as some Kanye West (Stronger is a classic, but I also like Heartless and Flashing Lights - anything with a good beat), plus Poker Face and Just Dance by Lady Gaga. The others are basically random songs that I've collected and that motivate me, but probably wouldn't be of much interest to anyone else. I find it impossible to run without music though. If my iPod is ever out of batteries, I ask my roommate if I can borrow from her. Otherwise I just get so bored!

Good luck to everyone who is heading into week 2 now, and to everyone who is signing up for 5ks! I can't wait until we all get there and can share stories about what it was like to run it.

• ahnniewantstorun Amateur 23 posts since
    May 31, 2009
    80. Jun 7, 2009 9:12 PM (in response to jenyren)

Welcome Bags!!

Jenyren - wondering how your W2D1 went...I did mine today...well ok - tonite - i finished around 11:15 - obviously - or maybe not so obviously - but for me that late at nite is definitely going to be on the treadmill....i really want to get outside but it hasn't been working out that well this week and that is more of a time management issue on my part rather than being a function of the weather because today it was a honey out there...but i was inside studying...i need to learn to take breaks....or somethin...

Re music...who mentioned Lady Gaga - I like Puh-puh-puh Poker Face...Let It Rock by Kevin Rudolph, My Life Would Suck by Kelly Clarkson, The Way I Are - Timbaland, ...and then for olderer stuff, The House is Rockin - Stevie Ray Vaughan....Mighty Rad Gumbo - Little Feat....Crush on You by Bruce Springsteen... Talk to Me by Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes...Tessie by the Dropkick Murphys....Love Her Madly - The Doors.......these are all songs with feet movin beats....my music tastes are all over the place....

Good luck to everybody - both those just starting and everyone starting to crank thru Week 2!!!!!!!!!!

Ann

Jun 5, 2009
    81. Jun 8, 2009 4:58 AM (in response to jodigirl928)

OK I think I might have screwed up here.....I planned to start my C25K today forgetting that on Monday nad Wednesday are my big 1 hour strength classes and they are killers. I don't want to stop those classes and I don't want to over do it and hurt myself either. I have a friend on my weight loss site and she is starting tomorrow and I think it would be fun if she and I do it together so I am considering starting tomorrow. Please don't think I am whimping out cause I am so excited about this.

Off to work, bt I will check in at lunch, thanks yawl!

bags

Jun 5, 2009
    82. Jun 8, 2009 5:01 AM (in response to jodigirl928)

serenadeofsound

don't even think twice about missing a day. **** happens and it will happen again in this life. We are all going to have to be some what adjustable at times right? What matters is you got out there the next day. I am super proud of you getting through in outdoors too. Great job!

Bags

• kitapope Amateur 11 posts since
    Jun 2, 2009
    83. Jun 8, 2009 5:48 AM (in response to jodigirl928)

W2D1 complete!  I'm very proud of myself. I actually worked out yesterday too, which I feel good about. One whole week down!

• eje66 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jun 2, 2009
    84. Jun 8, 2009 7:36 AM (in response to kitapope)

Week One is complete! I messed up my days there last week, so I've decided to be on a Wed./Fri./Sun. schedule. Looking forward to 6/10's run! Am enjoying the podcasts -- makes it really easy.

• medstudent2 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 2, 2009
    85. Jun 8, 2009 2:43 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your encouraging words.  I just finished W1D3 and now on to W2!  I did W1D2 on Fri and it was pretty difficult.  Today was definately easier than my previous 2 runs, but I'm still nervous about starting W2 on wed.

About music, since I run on a treadmill, I actually find it difficult to workout to music alone because then I keep staring at the timer on the treadmill.  It's easier for me to watch tv while running so while my mind isn't taken off running, I have something else to look at besides the timer.  By the way,  all the songs that you guys listed before, are my favs!  I love me some sexyback LOL.

I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone's pre-workout snack is.  I usually have either a banana or carrot sticks and hummus about 30-45min before running.  What about you guys?

It's great that so many of us are moving forward and sticking with the plan.  Keep on running everyone!

• Fresian Amateur 42 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    86. Jun 8, 2009 3:10 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

W2D1 completed and I feel great about it. Not as fast as last week, but I really didn't expect to be faster. 2.07 miles in 30 minutes, including warm up and cooldown.

My pre-run snack? As much coffee as I can gulp down so I don't fall asleep on my feet, lol.

• jenyren Pro 105 posts since
    Jun 4, 2009
    87. Jun 8, 2009 4:10 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

Well, I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't get in W2D1 yesterday.  My hubby worked 5 1/2 hours later than expected and I didn't have him at home to watch the kids.  He's working late again tonight so I'll have to put it off until tomorrow.  I'm kinda worried that I'm waiting too long between runs.  My last one was Friday so it will be 3 days between runs, does anyone go that long?  I usually try two max.  And of course it messed up my whole schedule, I'll have a busy week between running every other day and weights at the gym.  I did get out my dumbbells and do some arm exercises last night and went to the gym and did lower body today.  I thought about doing W2D1 on the treadmill at the gym but after my experience last w/the treadmill I'm really trying to keep all my runs outdoors.  As far as a snack I load up on water all day to keep the dreaded side cramp away, plus I get toe and calf cramps at night a lot so I really try to stay hydrated.  I've found a banana works well too.  Other than that I dont' have a particular snack I try to stick to.

La Crosse WI Turkey Trot 5K 11/21/09 - 29:28

La Crosse Rotary Lights 5K 12/13/09 - 28:03

Race With Grace 5K, 9/18/10 - 26:03

Reindeer Run 5K, Lakewood OH 12/4/10 - 25:12

Happy Trails 5K, Medina OH 05/29/10 - 24:54

Park 2 Park Half Marathon, Sheffield, OH - 2:10

• DogCrazy1966 Amateur 38 posts since
    Jun 8, 2009
    88. Jun 8, 2009 4:55 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

Hi everyone.  I did W2D1 this morning with my favorite girl, Brownie.  I've never run before, but the activity I've been most successful at sticking to in the past is walking.  I like running for the same reasons I always liked walking, could include the pooches and no equipment needed besides a good pair of shoes.  I have gotten pretty out of shape going through nursing school.  Now I have the summer off and one semester left in the fall.  I want to get a fitness routine back in place.  So far so good with the C25K, it works for me. 

I was a little scared to start Week 2 today, but I made it! 

• JPH39 Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 2, 2009
    89. Jun 9, 2009 4:18 AM (in response to jodigirl928)

It looks like wse're on a roll Congratulations everyone! I just got done with W2D1. It  seemed better than I anticipated and I can already tell that my energy levels seem to be going up and I'm actually looking forward to Thursday to get another one in.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 25 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...