Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

30145 Views 299 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2009 2:33 PM by clifton4 RSS 1 2 3 ... 20 Previous Next
DeterminedRose Pro 239 posts since
Mar 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 7, 2009 6:11 AM

* * * Spring Starters 6/7 - 6/13 * * *

Good Morning All C25Kers!

This is your brand new weekly thread!

Come one, come all, everyone is welcome! Post and introduce yourself. See the next post for some helpful information.

We are a mixed group of new runners, most of us in the Couch to 5K program, but all sorts of weeks.  I find that it's fun to have all weeks together, because I get encouragement not only from people in weeks ahead of me, but also from people in weeks behind me.  And, it's so nice to be able to share information from people who have been there and done that!

Past threads are all here on CoolRunning.com, just look for the Spring Starters threads.  They have great information!  But, feel free to ask any question that is on your mind.

Please encourage one another, feel free to post when you are NEEDING encouragement!  We are all accepting, so no negative/judgmental comments, please. 

Music Resources for Couch to 5K program (summarized so nicely by Katie/AltheaRose):

Here:

Here's my favorite stretching video for shin splint prevention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv6ycmOWnq0&NR=1

Here are some additional podcasts you may want to look into:

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/index.html

http://chubbyjones.libsyn.com/

http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html

Christian Podcasts:

http://www.buriedtalentsband.com/C25K/

Hip Hop - definitely NOT Christian

http://www.kissmyblackass.org/?page_id=86

or

YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN PODCASTS USING AUDACITY! (Using

your own cues and everything!)

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

"Audacity® is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds.

It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other

operating systems."

Links on how to create podcasts using audacity:

http://www.how-to-podcast-tutorial.com/17-audacity-tutorial.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_2012191_create-podcast-audacity.html

http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Creating_a_simple_voice_and_music_Podcast_with_Audacity

Or Google:

"use audacity to create podcasts"

Have you all checked out http://c25k.com/ ?

I got all my information from cool running, so I feel a little silly that I never saw http://c25k.com/ but I'm glad I did.

For instance, there is this podcast, for those of you who don't want to run to music, but might like the prompts:

Lestyn's C25K Podcasts: No Music (http://www.sbellcheck.co.uk/couchto5k/Couch_to_5K/Podcast/Podcast.html)

"The difference between this and Robert Ullrey's is that there is no music track, only audio cues of when to run and when to walk. This means you can run without music or add your own playlist in Garageband or any other audio recording software so you can run with your favourite songs or podcasts."

There are also inspirational articles and other useful tools you might find helpful.

Check it out!

http://c25k.com/

38 y/o Married, Mom of 3, work full time. Started C25K 3/22/09. Weight loss goal: 70 lbs overall. Current weight loss 30 lbs.

Pitter Pat 5K 3/14/09 (walking) 53:18
Lean Green 5K 4/4/09 (walk/run) 49:22
May Day 5K 5/2/09 (run/walk) 42.41
Kitchen Run 5/9/09 (run/walk just a widdle) 42 and change

Bass Pro Halloween Run 10/31/09  (run/walk)

• HappyOnTheMat Pro 95 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    1. Jun 7, 2009 6:37 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)
    Re: * * * Spring Starters 6/7 - 6/13 * * *

Thanks for the new thread Determined Rose!  I jumped on the last board toward the end so I willl reintroduce myself> I am a 43 yr old, married mom of 6 year old twins, work part time from home and have an gorgeous german shepard mutt named Tony who runs with me.  We live in the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY and I run on hilly, country roads which can be a challenge in itself.  I am in the middle of week 6 of C25K and am thrilled that I have run 2miles for the first time! My screen name refers to my yoga mat - I have a regular yoga practice that I love and has made me very strong. C25K is my goal to make my cardiovascular system stronger and to help me get leaner.  I would like to drop 15lbs through running, yoga and small changes in my diet. Best of luck to everyone - I hope you are enjoying this journey as much as I am!

Mara

x 9 weeks!

GRADUATED COUCH TO 5K JULY 10, 2009 WOOO HOOO!

• madvinegal Rookie 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jun 7, 2009 7:30 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day...I just ran three miles, now I want to hit the hay...

Week 9d2 completed!  One more run and I will be a graduate, I can hear the commencement music already!  I ran 3 miles at about 34:20minutes.  I am very happy.  But I am feeling very tired right now.

Welcome to all the newcomers.  Well, my screen name madvinegal.  I think I mentioned way back when I introduced myself, that my husband and I own a wine wholesale business.  Some may say we are wine geeks.  But that is where my screen name comes from.  He is madvineguy, I am madvinegal.   As in we are mad (crazy for grape vines). 

Happy running to all!

• MN Grandma Pro 224 posts since
    Mar 30, 2009
    4. Jun 7, 2009 7:52 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Rose, thanks for the new thread and all the work you've done to help us out!  The smileys are what kept me motivated, and I'm happy to say......drum roll please....

I GRADUATED TODAY!!!  Me, non runner 9 weeks ago, 56 years old, and  I never dreamed I'd be running almost 3 miles at one time......this morning I ran 2.7 miles in 32 minutes!  I couldn't have done it without the encouraging words and stories of everyone here....thanks for that!

I'll still be checking in to read the great stories, and watch this board grow with all the new people.  I'm going to start interval training (gateway to 8K) next week, trying to increase my distance, as my first 5K is June 27.

My screen name?  Minnesota Grandma.....that's the reason 3 years ago I move to MN from sunny so Cal - my 2 grandsons are here.  But I really do love it here and wouldn't ever think of moving back to CA.  Who knew there were 4 seasons?  haha

good luck to everyone here - you can do it!!!  Have faith in yourself, and realize you'll have good and bad days, but the good will definitely outweigh the bad, and you'll be amazed at what you can do!!

Carol

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to  RUN  in the rain. (courtesy of Coach Will)

Started C25K on April 3, 2009
    GRADUATED C25K ON JUNE 7, 2009  

TIME TO FLY 5K    JUNE 27, 2009    38:22

• aspins Pro 102 posts since
    May 18, 2009
    5. Jun 7, 2009 7:57 AM (in response to madvinegal)

Good morning all!

Thanks Determined Rose for starting our thread again and telling your story. That is very inspiring that you've been able to lose 26 lbs!

Happy on the mat sounds like you have a busy life. I am inspired by your practice of yoga. It's something I do on an irregular basis and still find beneficial.

Madvinegal I love your screen name. My husband and I buy wine a lot of wine also--just for us! lol What a fascinating business!

To reintroduce myself, I am a 58 (almost 59) year old living in blissful retirement with my husband on a barrier island in NC.We have two married daughters and two grandchildren with one more due soon.  Last year our daughters and I entered a sprint triathlon as a relay team with me doing the bike leg. It was so fun training for it that my husband and I bought road bikes (after the race!). This year the daughter who does triathlons solo encouraged me to do the Ramblin' Rose Aug. 23. My only hesitation was that I have never been a runner. So, I started C25K to become one! I am really enjoying it and feeling a real sense of accomplishment with each run. Still a long way to go, but I think I will make it. Since we retired, my husband and I have been working out with a trainer twice a week and go on lots of bike rides. It's fun to see what improvements can be made fitness wise at this point in life.

I do run on a bit, so finally, my screen name comes from my first name and  the fact that I am learning to spinwith a spinning wheel. Not quite as fast or active as spinning class (which I think is very fun in a kick butt kind of way), but something I really like to do along with knitting. So there you have ita spinning knitter of a retired grandmother who is learning to run!

Thanks to everyone for your interesting, inspiring, informative, encouraging posts. Happy running!

Ann

Completed C25K July 10, 2009!!  

Ramblin' Rose Triathlon August 23, 2009  Winston-Salem, NC

Dash for Divas Triathlon September 12, 2009  White Lake, NC

May 18, 2009
    6. Jun 7, 2009 8:26 AM (in response to MN Grandma)

Way to go MN Grandma!!! What a wonderful accomplishment! You are an inspiration to me!

Ann

• Lisa0620 Rookie 4 posts since
    May 13, 2009
    7. Jun 7, 2009 8:32 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Good morning everyone!  I finished week 6 yesterday.  It was so hard!  I woke up with a migraine, and took some medicine and went back to bed.  When I got up, the migraine was better, and I forced myseld to go.  I did the whole 25, but my headache was back, and I regretted pushing it.  I hope it will be better Tuesday.  ( I run T, Th, S)  I believe that the rest days are really important.  I cross train with biking, swimming and the elliptical. 

To reintroduce myself, I am Lisa, I live in Arkansas.  I am a 42 year old Junior High teacher (got to love summer!)  I am working on a graduate degree, so I am always really busy..  I have 3 boys, 19, 15 and 10 and a very wonderful husband, that is so supportive!

I really enjoy reading the posts - there are many of us at the same place in our training, and I stay motivated by reading their journeys.  My screen name is a combination of my name and birthdate - original, huh?  I am planning an indoor triathalon on the 20th (my 43rd) birthday, but I still haven't registered, as I am really afraid of failure.  I so need to get over that!  In addition, I am hoping to run a local 5K on the 4th of July.  I loved sgunders story!  As the rest of you start your races, be sure to update.  It gives the rest of us inspiration!  I had back surgery last year, so this is a real personal victory for me as I move forward.  It is still so, so hard, but I hope it will get easier - I am still waiting on the runners high, lol!

Lisa

May 18, 2009
    8. Jun 7, 2009 8:46 AM (in response to Lisa0620)

Just another quick hint if you're having trouble with your smileys in your profile. I kept getting the Error message so I would go back and redo the changes and hit save only to have the error message come up again. Finally, finally I realized that after getting the error message, you have to hit the button Edit Profile. Then you can make changes, save them and have it work.If you don't do this, it does not save and you get that error message again without any directions on how to fix it.  Good luck!

• digitalmuse66 Amateur 77 posts since
    Mar 27, 2009
    9. Jun 7, 2009 8:47 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Digital Muse is   one part Greek mythology and one part Techie-Geek tendencies lol.

Determined Rose(((((())))))))

I had to start over myself when I realized that all the running i had been doing indoors on the treadmill was woefully inadequate for running outdoors on the hills of central park.  I am right now at Week 2 and just did day 2 yesterday. Although I have a 5k coming up this week I have been doing a "long run" on my 3rd day of the week of the program and have been doing a "4" day week as opposed to the three for now anyway.

My goal is to be able to run an entire 5K without stopping - and I know I will one day

I have had to learn to appreciate other milestones in order to stay motivated and keep running. I am a slow runner although my pace has picked up a little the last week or so(might be all the running in the rain I have been doing). Being able to progress to the next week of the program is great but  I found I really have to listen to my body and do what IT is ready for. That being said my resting heart rate has dropped over 10  points since I started running and I have lost at least 10 pounds that have pretty much s tayed off since I started running.

I also started crosstraining in earnest this time around and I feel like it has helped strengthen my legs.  I am still working out the podcast playlist thing - I can't seem to import the audible only versions to add music to beyond week 2 so week three im either going to have to use ullrey's or figure out something else. Another motivation for me who loves listening to music while running - to get far enough along in the program where i can just make a regular playlist and run and just check my watch.

One thing I must credit though - is this board there have been so many times where i wanted to stop and qas wondering if i was crazy trying to get into "running" at 42 and 60+ pounds overweight.....and beign able to come here and post and interact with others has been more helpful than I could ever begin to explain.

Thanks All!!

Chase Corporate Challenge 5K - June 11, 2009

Take Your Base 5K - June 27th, 2009

Percy Sutton Harlem 5K - August 22nd, 2009

Susan Komen - Race For The Cure - September 13th, 2009

• IBmotivated Pro 90 posts since
    May 28, 2009
    10. Jun 7, 2009 9:57 AM (in response to digitalmuse66)

Thanks for the new thread Rose!  I finished W2 D2 yesterday.  Today I worked out on the elliptical, I will finish W2 on Tuesday (Mondays are my rest day).  I am so excited that in just a few weeks I will be running 10 minutes and more at a time!  Thank you to everyone who posts here for keeping me motivated!  Whenever I think I may not be able to make it through week 9, I just read the boards and see so many people ahead of me, it gives me new determination.

• Mariamou Amateur 67 posts since
    Apr 25, 2009
    11. Jun 7, 2009 3:24 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Because of a change in my schedule on Monday-my scheduled run day-i completed w7 d1 today. Ran outside and a new route-a hilly one so I was almost wishing i was on the treadmill!!!

Clare Bo: I did check my nike+ with my map of the route I took today-it is a little bit off-1.13 vs 1.30(Nike+) for the halfway marker. I will have to figure out how to get them to callibrate correctly.... But I do like the fact that it gives me my pace throughout the run!

Graduated C25K 06/26/2009

• modlie Rookie 6 posts since
    May 16, 2009
    12. Jun 7, 2009 2:05 PM (in response to Mariamou)

HI all.  Haven't been on for a couple of weeks, but have still been running.  Have now finnished week 3 and week 4.  O my god week 5 looks scary!!!!!  My screen name is because my family call me mo or modlie.  My name is mary, but when i was little, whenever anybody called me, i always said that i would be there in a mo.

• chr1svee Pro 96 posts since
    Apr 17, 2009
    13. Jun 7, 2009 2:22 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

I completed W8D2 yesterday, although I was as slow as molasses.  I did 2.5miles in 34 minutes.  I felt stiff all around the ankles again and the humidity was a real killer but I made it!

C25K started on 06/19/11 and completed on 08/22/11!

8/6/11 -- Inaugural Harrisburg Hydro 5k Walk/Run (not timed)

• klasmom5 Pro 150 posts since
    May 3, 2009
    14. Jun 7, 2009 3:21 PM (in response to chr1svee)

OK, so this is how my week has gone - W7D1 :  2.5 miles in 26 min 20 sec; W7D2 :  2.0 miles in 25 mins.  QUITE the discrepancy!!!  I am off to try W7D3 today and hopefully it will be much better.  Keep your finger crossed for me and I will post when I am done, later tonight!

AND, my name, klasmom5 has been my screen name for everything since I had my first daughter, Kayla...so my screen name is pronouced "Kayla's Mom" 5...not classmom 5...and the 5, it was my volleyball number in highschool and in college.  Yes, I play collegiate volleyball, and I have let myself go!  BAD!  To the point that right now, I am bigger than  was after I had both of my daughters!!!  [sobbing and crying]!!!  But I am on my way to recovering my body, that I once had!!  I think it's under all this fat, somewhere!! 

Wish me luck!

Now, if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing.  You have to make the mind run the body.  Never let the body tell the mind what to do.  The body will always give up.  It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night.  But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.

~George S. Patton

1 2 3 ... 20 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...