Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

34433 Views 380 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2009 6:12 AM by DeterminedRose RSS Go to original post 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 Previous Next
  • leahandderik Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    375. Jun 6, 2009 7:25 PM (in response to Mariamou)
    Re: * * * Spring Starters 5/27-5/31 * * *

well, I couldn't read through all of these considering there are 25 pages worth of posts - however...

My name is Leah, I am from OKC Oklahoma - and tomorrow will be my first day of the Couch to 5k. about 2 years ago I lost nearly 40 pounds on WW. I never even began an active lifestyle. I am only 22 years old and have two baby girls, and want to start now so it can continue on in my future.

Excited to begin this journey (yet VERY nervous about ANY physical activity!) Can't wait to get to know all of you.

• chloeishere Amateur 34 posts since
    Apr 26, 2009
    376. Jun 6, 2009 7:58 PM (in response to leahandderik)

W9D1 down! (ran 32.5 minutes)

Actually pretty pleasant. And I was going much faster finally, I went over 0.4 miles farther in less time than W8D3, so I feel a bit better about that. I've switched to a somewhat flatter course, which is definitely nicer.

I downloaded some song based off that running music mix site, for 150-159 bpm, and it actually did really seem to keep me going much more consistently. Then my only problem was when I started to "wallow" (my term for when I stay at the same bpm, but I make my strides much smaller and lower energy), and when I started doing that, I'd pump my arms harder (it does help) until I got my energy back.

I'm definitely pleased with this run, and I'm so happy I'm finally at week nine! This is without a doubt the longest I've ever stuck with an exercise program, and I am really happy with the changes I'm seeing and feeling.

However, I am still smiley dumb.

Welcome Leah!

And congratulations to aolss and hillcityjosh for finishing! YAY!!! I know it's been several days, but I wanted to say yay for y'all!

For those who commented on my "stretching" mention (the splits, forehead on the ground thing) from last time I posted, it's not really how far I stretch that counts (I've always been pretty flexible, because of doing ballet for 15 years), it's much more about reaching what I know is pretty much optimal flexibility for myself. Even with a half an hour of stretching three times a week, I never got much more flexible than that. I also find stretching very relaxing-- it's a form of mediation for me-- and being able to rest my forehead on the ground and just let gravity do its work is so, so much more enjoyable and pleasant. I was so excited when I realized that I had attained that level of flexibility again (I wasn't sure I would be able to-- it took 8 weeks this time, back in the day, I could improve my flexibility back to that level in a week!), that I just wanted to talk about it.

Started C25k on 4/18/09
    Finished! C25k on 6/10/09
  • aspins Pro 102 posts since
    May 18, 2009
    377. Jun 6, 2009 8:23 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Thanks for the stretching explanation chloeishere, but I'm still really impressed with your flexibility. Wow!! Good for you for meeting your personal goals.

I do have a question for chloeishere and anyone else who is in the know. How do you determine how many bpm your running music should be? Right now my playlist just has music that makes me feel good, provides encouragement (Rocky lol) and keeps me feeling positive. Any helpful hints about better ways to select music would be much appreciated.

Leah--welcome!! I'm only through week 4 and can totally relate to how it felt to start the first day. Just keep going and you'll make it! I'm absolutely amazed that I can do this much and feel sure I can make it the rest of the way. If you need any other encouragement, I think you said you're 22. I'm 58 and if I can do this, so can you!

Happy weekend everybody!

Completed C25K July 10, 2009!!  

Ramblin' Rose Triathlon August 23, 2009  Winston-Salem, NC

Dash for Divas Triathlon September 12, 2009  White Lake, NC

• clare bo Pro 174 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    378. Jun 7, 2009 4:36 AM (in response to aspins)

Mairiamou:  Tell me more about your nike+ipod sport kit!  I have been looking at those and even posted something on the main boards, wondering if they were a good thing or no.  Does it tell you how far you are going occasionally?  How long you have run?  Or do you only find thse things out when you get home and sync it?  Also, you said you used it on the treadmill....how accurate was it?  did it give you about the same distance as what the treadmill said you went?  My ipod touch 2G has the nike application on it and I am seriously thinking about getting the kit.

chloeishere.....you still rock!  I think the last time I could do that was in high school 30 years ago!

Leah:  Welcome aboard!  You can do it!  Don't get discouraged if you feel winded in the beginning.....with time, you will find yourself being able to run farther than you ever imagined you could.  It really does get easier each week.  I strongly advise doing the workouts every other day and givng your body a rest!  Decent shoes help too!  I could not believe the difference in me the day my hubby got me new running shoes, WOW!  And they weren't expensive ones...he got me some very light weight cushy Nikes at the outlet store for like $39...I love em (prob about time for new ones tho).  Good luck!

I do think I might be in a mild crohns flare (crohns is an autoimmune disease involving the digestive system....plus causes fatigue and aches and everything in between).  I am thinking about starting back up on my steroids (which I detest).  But maybe it will kick me back into a fast remission!  I would be so diappointed if I went into a big flare sidelining me...I have come so far!  Cross fingers for me.

Good luck RUNNERS!

CONGRATS TO THE GRADS!  WOO HOO...I HOPE I CAN GET THERE SOON!

LIFE IS GOOD,

CLARE

• Mariamou Amateur 67 posts since
    Apr 25, 2009
    379. Jun 7, 2009 6:08 AM (in response to clare bo)

Clare Bo-I have the sportsband as the kit did not work with my itouch. It worked good-while exercising you can scroll to see your pace,mileage(sp?),calories and time. 

Milage on treadmill was 2.25 and milage on nike+ was 2.62-but there is a place to calibrate the nike+ and I am always not sure how accurate treadmills are... One thing that I found puzzling was calories-my heart rate monitor stated 256 and the nike+ said 308.  The one thing I love is the nikeplus.com interface where you downlaod your information.  Check it out there are videos of how to set it up and how it works.  I love mine! they say to get some runs in before you calibrate it-I just charged it up, strapped it on my wrist and ran.  I was doing a 11 minute mile at one point of my running but the average was 13.18.

People must think I am a geek-have my heartrate monitor watch on one wrist, the nike+ on my other and the foot pod strapped to my shoe (i don't have any nike shoes). 

I would recommend it especially since your system is already ready for it!

Graduated C25K 06/26/2009

1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...