Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

29936 Views 299 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2009 2:33 PM by clifton4 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 20 Previous Next
  • gothgimpbadcooking Amateur 24 posts since
    Jun 2, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jun 8, 2009 7:20 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)
    Re: * * * Spring Starters 6/7 - 6/13 * * *

I just finished week 1 in C25K and while I'm super proud that yesterday I actually FELT like going out for a run.  I had planned to take the weekend off and finish W1 Monday because I was concerned that the really beautiful hiking trail where I run would be more crowded on a Sunday but around 5PM I got a bug in my bonnet to go out, so that was awesome!  Also awesome was that I only saw one couple on the trail, as usual.  I just can't decide if I'm ready for week 2 yet or if I should just do another day or two or three of week 1.

How do other folks know when they're ready to move on?

A little about me: I'm 28, live in Northern Minnesota and am a musician and composer.  My husband and I moved here from Florida in September.  I haven't got a CLUE how I'm going to keep this up in the winter but I guess if I get to the first snowfall and still want to run I'll consider myself deserving of a few months off!  I started running because I have some extra time on my hands and because transitioning from a subtropical climate to the arctic tundra breeds a very sedentary lifestyle.  I eat pretty healthfully already -- no meat or dairy products, as many veggies as I can steam -- so I'm hoping that adding an exercise component to my life will have a big impact on how I feel.

• erniedee Amateur 40 posts since
    May 11, 2009
    31. Jun 8, 2009 7:28 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Finished Week 5 Day 1 yesterday. It wasn't too bad. I think the extra 3 minute run in Suz's week 4 podcast put me in a better place to make it through. Really nervous about the rest of the week, but I KNOW I CAN DO IT. It might take a couple of tries, but I'll get there!

• sayhellotofrogs Amateur 49 posts since
    Apr 24, 2009
    32. Jun 8, 2009 7:56 AM (in response to astarrc)

AStarrC and HappyontheMat- Thank you for the positive thoughts and prayers for Dylan. Some people in my family think I'm crazy for doing a program like this right  now with everything else going on in our lives but it has really been a lifesaver for me. I feel better, I sleep better, it helps keep me positive and focused and it gives me a little bit of time all to myself which is priceless. I am so happy that I stumbled across this board and all of the great people here to encourage me along the way. Dr Slayton is awesome so I am not surprised at all that his wife is great as well. He has spent so much time with us and talking to us and its amazing the bond that he forged on the very first day with Dylan. Dylan was pretty much shutting everyone and everything happening to him out during that first few weeks but Dr Bill reached out to him and it was like he just pushed through the barriers my son had put up around himself. He just seems to "get" Dylan and is our favorite Doctor on the team.

Ok, time for me to get my run in. Doing it on the treadmill today because it is just too hot outside already.

Chrissy -C25K Graduate!!!  www.caringbridge.org/visit/dylankinsey

• HappyOnTheMat Pro 95 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    33. Jun 8, 2009 8:12 AM (in response to sayhellotofrogs)

Hey chrissy-

Hope it is a good run. I am going out now to do W6D2 again - the dog is jumping around like a nut job crying to go with me. will post later- feeling very sluggish at the moment. Mara

x 9 weeks!

GRADUATED COUCH TO 5K JULY 10, 2009 WOOO HOOO!

• lehuagirl Expert 106 posts since
    Apr 19, 2009
    34. Jun 8, 2009 8:27 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Klasmom - hey really don't beat yourself up. Just keep plugging away. This truly is for you! I am usually a social exerciser, but I found that the mind game you are playing right now is too much for me, so I have found it to be JUST ME TIME, and then I am concentrating only on me and my pace instead of my dog or my kids or my friend who also runs faster.

I am stuck in week 7 and thinking of going back to 6 and starting there. I am sidelined by a shin splint and don't know when to "play through" it and when to rest it. I am not going to give up even though my mind is playing with some ideas along those lines...

Chloe -great job on 32 minutes, and Lea, welcome! You won't believe your progress.

Lehuagirl (who also goes by Hula Woman or Kahlua girl....) is my middle name because I was born in Hawaii. My dad was in catering at the Sherton Maui when it was the only hotel on the strip. We moved to cold states and stayed there when I was 1, so I do not remember any of it! The Lehua flower grows on a grey branched bush that grows in lava flows. There's a legend that the god Pele was jealous of Ohia and Lehua so he turned Ohia into a knarly, coal grey bush, but another god had mercy on the couple and put Lehua as a brilliant yellow or red flower on these hearty volcanic plants so the couple could be together always. There you have it...

• maeberryboo Amateur 117 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    35. Jun 8, 2009 8:45 AM (in response to lehuagirl)

Hello everyone!  I also am stuck in Week 7.  Well can't seem to complete day 1!  I also have taken 4 days off to rest a sore leg.  I actually think that it is my hip.  It does feel alot better but not completely better.  I think that I am going to try to get some running in today on the treadmill and see how it goes.  I am thinking that it would be so easy to give up now but I really do not want to.  I am going to keep going.  I just wish that my legs would get with the program. 

There really is not a story about my screen name.  I was just trying to think of something cute and silly.  My one cats name is Elli Mae so I got the mae from her and the rest I just through with it for no particular reason.

• patb253 Amateur 28 posts since
    May 16, 2009
    36. Jun 8, 2009 8:50 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Completed W9D1 th is morning.  3 full miles.  It was a little harder than I anticipated, but I got through it.  One more run on Wed before my first 5k race on Saturday.  I can't believe I ran 3 whole miles.  In a row.  Without stopping.  Yeah me!

klasmom:  don't try to compete with others.  Compete with yourself. You completed week 7!!  Do a little happy dance and celebrate how wonderful you are doing.  Before starting C25K, could you do more than imagine running 30 minutes straight?  Now you are doing it. 

My screen name here is just my name and a random number.  How boring is that ...

B-)

33:00 - 6/13 - Ocean City Police Chase, OC NJ

32:59 - 6/27 - Mercer County Traumatic Loss Coalition 5K

• madvinegal Rookie 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    37. Jun 8, 2009 9:14 AM (in response to patb253)

Bring on the cap and gown, I am a graduate!  W9d3 complete!   I can't believe I did this for nine weeks and did not quit!  Hooray!  Today was much harder than my yesterday run.  Could be because I did not take an off day from my run yesterday.  But I did it and I am done. 

I will continue to lurk and will start and will try the next training program to help increase my time. 

• jubee13 Pro 181 posts since
    May 14, 2009
    38. Jun 8, 2009 9:42 AM (in response to HappyOnTheMat)

HappyOnTheMat - I am a 43 year old mom also, in Week 6. I actually have been running for years, but nothing consistent, just getting out there to walk/run 2 times a week (weights the other days). I have run 2 5ks in the past. I decided to get serious about running, and am loving seeing my progress each week. I always start out the first day thinking - I can't do this. I'll have to repeat this the next week, but so far by Friday, I am ready to move on. My goal is to run a half marathon in April of next year, and maybe someday a marathon.

Week 7 is a little intimidating for me. I was thinking maybe changing it to running 15 min, walk 2, then run 15 more. Any opinions?

Also, Week 8 I will be on vacation in Las Vegas so I will have to run on the treadmill at our hotel. I never run on a treadmill, so I would appreciate any advice. I'm afraid it will be a lot easier and I won't build my endurance.

Good luck and Happy Running everyone!

• HappyOnTheMat Pro 95 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    39. Jun 8, 2009 9:54 AM (in response to jubee13)

Ok, just finished up W6D2 running for distance - did 1.1 mile out walked 4 mins and jogged 1.0 back total time about 33 mins. Everything felt like lead today - I just did not have the umpf even on two full days rest.  I am proud of myself for slugging it out and completing the run but it wasn't joyful today.  The last 1/4 mile on of my arch's was tugging at me....time to find out how to stretch the feet - any ideas?

Way to go Madvinegal - break open the sparkling wine and celebrate - you are a graduate!!!!!  PatB will be next.

Hi Jubee13 - we are in the same spot - how old are your children?   If I could only imagine my body running more than 5k distance I would join you on the long term 1/2 marathon goal.  Honestly, I think I am just not built to be an efficient runner. i am not sure if I could do longer runs down the road without injuries but I will stay open minded. I never thought I would run over two miles and here I am.  I have not looked ahead yet to week 7 so I can't give you my advice on adapting it maybe some of the newly finished C25Kers will have some thougts.

sayhellotofrogs - how was the run?

x 9 weeks!

GRADUATED COUCH TO 5K JULY 10, 2009 WOOO HOOO!

• kboutdoorfun Amateur 15 posts since
    May 13, 2009
    40. Jun 8, 2009 10:33 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

I enjoyed reading everyone's story about the screen name.  It is funny to realize what it says or means.  Mine is not a great story, my initials are kb and I enjoy the out doors.  kb-outdoor-fun.  I am a 43 y/o divorced mother of 2 girls. I am a nurse in a pediatric office, so I am on my feet "all day long".  I began running because my church has a 5k run to benefit Relay for Life, I decided to try running after much encouragment from a friend at church and I love it.  I plan to run my first 5k in the fall.   I live in South Ga, my favorite time to run is late in the evening which is working now that my kids are on summer break.  I will have to change once school starts back.  Ran w7 d2 last night, or a little past, I forgot to hit the start button on my watch, so I ran 2 miles in a little over 25 mins.   Congradulation to the grads!!

• Polarhug Amateur 51 posts since
    Apr 14, 2009
    41. Jun 8, 2009 11:08 AM (in response to klasmom5)

I'm still out in Med Tent this week - but I can start to see my ankle bones again so I think the swelling is getting better and its starting to get stronger!

Keep up the good work! I hope to be joining you all in a few days again /crosses fingers

• sayhellotofrogs Amateur 49 posts since
    Apr 24, 2009
    42. Jun 8, 2009 11:40 AM (in response to HappyOnTheMat)

Happyonthemat, you are so brave running for distance already in Week 6. I am not planning to switch over until I am a grad and then go back and work on speed a little. I run at an average of 4.5 mph and walk at 3.5 right now. All that being said, Week 6 Day 1 was a great run for me. It was one of those runs where I just found my stride and could have kept going. I am really glad I repeated each day of Week 5, I think it helped quite a lot. Or perhaps it was the extra days rest over the weekend that made today go so well...Anyway, it was good and I am excited to be moving on through the program. Congrats to madvinegal! You did it! And from what I have heard/read, running a half marathon is not out of the reach of someone who has run a couple 5k's. I have doing the Marine Corps half next year in my long term goals. Sorry it took me so long to get back on and post about my run, kept getting interrupted by the phone and then making lunch for the kids and then getting them down for naps. Great running everyone!

Chrissy -C25K Graduate!!!  www.caringbridge.org/visit/dylankinsey

• TNchiro Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 8, 2009
    43. Jun 8, 2009 12:19 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Wow! These threads grow quickly! I am beginning my 2nd week of the C25K program.  It looks like I have alot of reading to before I understand the abbreviations. lol

My introduction: I am a 31 y/o mother of a 3 y/o and doctor of chiropractic (hence my screen name-I'm not very witty in that sense either).  I have never been much of a runner; my athletic history includes short distance sports like volleyball and softball, however I've always been intrigued by runners' love of running.  And though hard on your spine and knees,  I know it's wonderful for your heart, and there are alternative surfaces to protect your joints.  Besides all that, since I had my daughter I have been unmotivated to exercise and decided I need to try something new and set goals.

After reading the forums, I am more excited than my first day, and look forward to exploring a different side of myself. 

My questions- is 3 days/week all it takes? What does everyone else do on the other 4 days of the week?

• mackus Rookie 17 posts since
    Apr 25, 2008
    44. Jun 8, 2009 12:40 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Finished Week 7 yesterday.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 20 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...