Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

10862 Views 117 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2009 7:23 PM by mfssl RSS Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next
  • Lanity Amateur 44 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Very sensible and well thought-out post Guybrush!!!  Everything you said makes great sense!

• Anij34 Amateur 41 posts since
    May 14, 2009

EEK!  We went to get ice cream (no-fat frozen yogurt for me!) after our walk last night and the ice cream shoppe was shut down because of the stomach flu!  Guess what?  That's where we went a few days ago!  Now I know where I got sick from!  Nice huh?!?!  WTF?!?!  Won't be there again! 

Anij

• mattmikesmom Expert 67 posts since
    May 17, 2009

W4D2 completed last night! (Posted on Week 3, I'm a little slow.......:p)  I'm finding that I can keep going on my second five minute run.  I'm still amazed that I can run for 5 minutes.  It's at a snails pace, but I'm running.  I don't worry about pace, just the ability to run.  We head for the beach on Saturday for a week.  I plan to start  Week 5 on Sunday.  I notice the biggest change in my breathing, I don't pant like I use too. 

By the way, RWW, I think I did hear the Rocky theme!  To the dismay of my neighbors, I do tend to pump my fists in the air when I finish running my five minutes.  I certainly feel like a champ. 

• MistyInSalem Amateur 24 posts since
    May 27, 2009

Hi WTF'ers. I was planning on doing my week 5 day 1 run this morning, but have been sick since yesterday (stayed home from work) and woke up sick again this morning and decided it was best if i didn't go run today. My plan is to do week 5 day 1 on Friday- then do week 5 day 2 two times next week (I'm in san francisco away from home most of the week)- and save the dreaded W5D3 run for Friday when I can run it with my running partner.

• carly85 Amateur 41 posts since
    May 17, 2009

Lanity - You're totally right, and I know it.  It's just, when you have a lot of weight to lose (I have about 77 pounds total, 60 left) it gets frustrating when your weight loss takes a break.  I didn't start running just to lose weight, I've always wanted to be a runner and I'm really enjoying it, and I think it's a really healthy thing to be passionate about!  I decided to check my measurements again (I haven't done it since I took my "before" measurements) and I was pleased to see about 4 inches gone from my waist and 4 from my hips.  And you're right, my pantsometer is telling me good things, since my old jeans pretty much fall right off my butt when I walk around!  I know I need to be patient and that slow weight loss it the healthiest and stays off better...but it would be sooo nice to wake up tomorrow 60 pounds lighter

But, we're all doing so great.  I'm so proud of us.  Whether we are getting bigger or smaller, we're all getting healthier and more fit, and that's what's important!

I guess I'm "Runs With No Patience!"

Love is just like breathing when it's true.

• HadababyItsaboy Amateur 34 posts since
    May 15, 2009

Hey guys! I did W4D1 today!  I never thought I'd be able to do it all.  I had been dreading it the last two days and was seriously considering repeating W3 b/c i had such a hard time w/the three minute runs I figurd I'd NEVER be able to do one let alone TWO five minute runs. But I figured what the h#ll...what do I have to lose, right? Might as well give it a shot and see how far I get.  The first three minute run went ok. Was a little tired.  This is the earliest I've gotten up to run today. First five minute run I thought I was never gonna make it I was going SO slow....but I looked at my watch and saw I was half way through so I kept on trucking and tried not to check my watch again until I was pretty sure I was almost at 5 minutes and I MADE IT.  I did the walk and thought ok..i 'm feeling ok....did the second 3 min run and realized I was running....really actually running...my breathing had gotten easier than the first two runs. I wasn't panting as much and I actually was movign a little bit faster....but I still thought there was NO WAY I'd be able to do another five minute run.  So I started the last 5 minutes...I actually felt pretty **** good. I tried not to check my watch too much and just tried to enjoy teh fact that I was still running...putting one foot in front of the other and that I MIGHT actually make it through the whole run today. next thing I knew, I only had 3 minutes left to run...then two...Then I decided there was NO WAY I was stopping b/c I couldn't wait to come home to typeon here and tell all you Witnesses that if I can do it, YOU can too!  What a great feeling! I feel like an actual runner...like I can say to people now "I went out for a run and...."   or "I'm going out for a run later..." or even "I got up early to go out for a run..." It's friggin AWESOME!   I seriously was getting discouraged after last weeks less than stellar performance but now I'm really looking forward to W4D2 even though I'm sure it's gonna be rough.  Keep up the good work guys and don't let a bad day or even a bad week get you down. Stick to the program!!!  And don't let a mental wall be what holds you back!  I think that was my problem...I hit a wall (both physically and mentally i guess) and thought there was no way I'd get over it, but once I did I couldn't believe I was still going and running!  I may run a 5K yet!!!! I'm just gonna keep putting one foot in front of hte other!  Go Witnesses! I hope everyone else has a great day too!!!

Run Over Cancer 5k  7/4/09  34:30
  • tdk554 Amateur 43 posts since
    May 13, 2009

hadababy, mikematt, and to everyone else, congratulations on a job well done!

I finsihed W4D2 today. I went out about 45 mnutes earlier than I usually do, and didn't have any coffee first, but did have water and a yogurt. It was already 84 degrees with stifling humidity at 8:15 this morning, so I had to go and get my workout in!

Today was hard for me. Really hard. I know you are all probably sick to death of hearing about my sore ankle, but it was more sore today. No limping, but I was aware of it each stride. My breathing wasn't as good, but I ran when I was supposed to run the whole time! Last run, I deliberately slowed my pace. Today I tried to improve on my pace and frankly, after the first three minute run ended (where I had increased my pace ever-so-slightly), it was all SO HARD for me.

I tried to get into the groove, tried to be "in the moment" of my run. I concentrated on keeping good form, tight core, stepping lightly, and today focused on the feeling of pushing off the thigh of my back leg as I stepped forward. But I had to fight the urge to stop my whole run. I increased my distance by about 10 paces, but again, I deliberately took it easy last run and I did my absolute best today.... 10 pace improvement? Grrrr.... so frustrating.

But I'm not going to focus on "improving distance" for Friday's run. In fact, I am making a deal with myself that I am obligated to run a SHORTER distance. This is not about kicking my a$$ each and every run and berating myself for not "improving" with each and every run.

Oh, and I looked ahead to see what "all the fuss" was about for W5D3

blink

blink, blink

holy cow.

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Just wanted to drop in to say hi, congratulate you all on your progress, and mention two things:

1) Guybrush is pretty much on the money with his post about weight loss. Right now, you're not running enough to expend that many calories. By the end of the program, if you're running the full 3.1 miles (5k), you'll be burning about 300-500 calories per run (depending on your weight). That's basically one or two 16-ounce bottles of Pepsi (or Coke, if that's your thing). Also, it's important not to get too hung up on small swings in weight -- in either direction. Over the course of a day, one's weight can fluctuate quite a bit; two pounds is very likely to be water weight! The dietary component is where the weight loss will come for now.

2) Just so you know, you're all runners.

Great work!

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• mfssl Pro 84 posts since
    May 22, 2009

Welcome, Jennikaye! I also am on W3. My D2 is tomorrow. I read about your weight gain and some of the others' responses. Here is what I have been doing.

I have been watching what I eat since I started this program. Mostly eating lots of fruits and vegetables. When it comes to bread, cereal, pasta, etc, I eat whole grains. When I eat meat, I eat less now, it is very lean turkey, chicken, and ocasionally beef. When cooking, I use 100% extra virgin olive oil. I avoid things with hydrogenated oils, and things with high fructose corn syrup like the plague. Started drinking green tea. It is supposed to boost your metabolism as well as provide antioxidants. Here is an example of my diet these days; this is what I had yesterday:

Breakfast: A whole grain english muffin with 1 t. of olive oil spread and 1 T of peanut butter with a glass of milk

Snack: A bowl of mixed cut up fruit, including watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, kiwi, pineapple, and strawberries, and a diet coke (should have been green tea)

Lunch: A large salad with romaine lettuce, spinach, zucchini, green peppers, red onion and tomatoes with balsamic vinaigrette dressing and

a multigrain bagel with low fat cream cheese and a diet coke (could have used a bit more protien and once again, should have been tea)

Snack: (Here is where I faltered a bit) Four regular fudge striped cookies (In the past, I would have consumed most, or all, of the bag)

Supper: Whole grain penne pasta with 1 T. olive oil and Prego Heart Smart sauce with just a small amount of cooked ground turkey, 1/3 of a bag of frozen organic broccoli, steamed, and a fruit smoothie made with blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, and mandarin oranges

I have to say that I have cut out most desserts, where I used to allow myself dessert, not just every day but, practically after every meal (I knew better, I mean really, WTF was I doing??!!).  I probably won't have another treat, like the cookies, for two or three days now. I think the thing that is helping me most, other than "leaving the couch", so to speak, is the tea (yesterday I was not home and forgot to take some with me) and centering my meals around fruits and vegetables. They have become the main course. I try to decide what fruits and veggies I am having first, fill my plate, bowl, or glass with those and then decide what is going to go with it, as a side dish.

My pants-o-meter is showing some improvement already. A pair of pants that had gotten too tight for me to tolerate for even a couple of minutes are now comfortable for most of the day. I wore them yesterday and they were fine until after supper, which happened to have been the biggest meal of my day. And, I just weighed myself for the first time since starting the program. I am down between 3-4 pounds! The food choices I am making are very satisfying. Once in a while I crave something crunchy or something sweet and the fruit and grain choices I am making are usually healthy and satisfy the cravings.

Besides for the running program, I walk alot and I have been doing yoga and some, not enough, strength training. I really hope I can continue putting up the good fight with my diet and exercise. Honestly, I knew better than to sit (and sit and sit) and eat junk food day in and day out, but I believe that I kept subconsciously telling myself "ooh, I shouldn't be eating this, but I want it, and I should be able to eat what I want when I want it" and then going ahead and eating whatever the f*** I wanted.

After having been sedentary, and unconcious of my poor eating habits, for many years, I think this lifestyle change is long overdue and most definitely the road I want and need to be on. As Doctor Phil has been known to say, "And how's that workin' for ya'?" It's workin' for me baby, it's workin'! Hope it keeps working!!

W3D2 tomorrow. Bye for now.

• RunsWithWhales Amateur 26 posts since
    May 30, 2009

Not that Don didn't give you good info, he did (he knows what he's talking about), but just to add a little bit of info for perspective:

IIRC, each pound of body fat contains about 3500 calories. You're not going to run that off quickly. Lanity's post about burning more than you take in is spot on as well. Your body also burns calories just "being alive", that's your metabolism. But, it's going to take some time for your metabolism to speed up as a result of increased exercise/physical conditioning. Mentally, allow your body the time to go through the process. Don't sweat the little stuff, If you weigh yourself at night, then again in the morning, you will have lost water weight just by breathing. That's not weight loss, that's life. A glass of water changes your weight, but you didn't actually "gain" any weight, right?

Don't interpret your weight on a day-to-day basis. Plot it daily if you want, but look at it as a general trend. There will be spikes, plateaus, and dips, but it's the general trend over time you're interested in. As you build muscle, you will slowly gain weight. As you burn fat, you will slowly lose weight. However, it's takes time to build muscle, be patient. Over time, there WILL be a net loss in body fat, but your "pantsometer" will tell you that some areas have lost weight while others have gained weight.

Keep at it, one run at a time. Balance what you take in with what you burn off. If you continue to burn off more than you take in, while still giving your body the nutrition it needs, you will burn off more body fat than you build up. As the miles add up, you'll see the difference. Trust me on this one.

Gotta go now, PT appointment in a few minutes.

Heart Keeps Running When Strength Runs out.  Got Heart?
  • Lanity Amateur 44 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Good morning WTFers!!!!!   

Is it just me or do the rest of you get excited when you see RWW has posted?  I think I'm with Blue.  He's my running hero. 

W4D2 -- come and gone.  I never ever ever EVER thought I'd be excited to get up at 6 a.m. and go for a run.  Heck.... I never thought I'd be able to say "I'm going for a run".   HA!  Hubby had to leave town at 6:30, so I knew I had to get my run in before that or condemn myself to pushing a jogging stroller w/ twins that weigh roughly 40 lbs. each during a much hotter part of the day.  So...  6 a.m.   Alrighty then.  I wasn't sure I'd be able to do it, but I did!!!!!  Amazing.  Truly amazing.

I noticed in the 5 minute warm up that my left knee felt tweaky.  Not painful exactly, but bothersome.  It didn't bother me at all when I was running, but whenever I walked, it kind of flared up.  Strange.  Anyhoo...  Today's run wasn't quite as good as Monday's, (I didn't cover the same distance - not that it matters really) but still... I feel like a real runner.  I'm just blown away by that. 

MattMike---  I know EXACTLY what you mean about being amazed @ being able to run for 5 minutes.  It blows my mind too.  Hard to believe.

Carly --  YOU GO GIRL!!!!!  You are 8 inches smaller!!!!  I for one am in awe.  Congratulations.  "RunsWithNoPatience" .... HA!!!!!!

Hadababy --  WOW!!!!  Great post.  You brought tears to my eyes.  Yes indeedy missy... you are a runner. 

I am ever so grateful for this group.  I know I wouldn't be making this kind of progress without you.

• meryl27 Pro 116 posts since
    May 18, 2009

Hello Witnesses!

On vacation from work this week (but staying at home) so haven't had a lot of computer time (spending time with hubby and daughter). Just took time to catch up on all your posts. Everyone is doing a great job! Hadababy's post and the comment from Don especially made me smile --- WE ARE RUNNERS??? YES WE ARE! I don't know why that title is so important, but IT IS. Four weeks ago I really didn't have a lot of faith that I could ever call myself that, but as I ran W4D2 today I truly felt like a runner. With 30 seconds to go in my last run segment I took off in a sprint and it felt GREAT! So, it's settled --- we are runners.

Feeling strong and ready to take on W4D3 on Friday!

Take care everyone... and take pride in every step you take!!

Meryl I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday. ~Author Unknown

C25K Graduate 7/18/2009

• rcsparky Amateur 29 posts since
    May 13, 2009

Hi Team WTF,

I'm posting a little later than usual, b/c new puppy in the house and my schedule is turned upside down!  Completed W4D2 this morning (late for me) and other than no energy everything was fine.  Wanted to run a little faster but couldn't get the legs to move as quickly as I would of liked, but did the complete interval so I will make up for it on Friday.  BTW, I think this is the half way mark in the program and I can't beleive it.  Who would of thought that we could of accomplished this 4 1/2 weeks ago?  Great job team and thank you for your infinite wisdom and inspiration!

"There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up."  John Andrew Holmes

"No one has ever drowned in sweat." Lou Holtz
  • snipey Amateur 18 posts since
    May 22, 2009

Well, I got up yesterday morning and was feeling great. Made sure I was hydrated and went off on W5D2.. I certainly didn't obtain the runners high, but I did find myself drifting off and listening for a music in my own breathing. I don't listen to music when I run, because i'm trying to get in the airforce, where I just won't have that. Before  knew it, the first 8 minutes was over, my garmin went off and let me know, so I started my walk... after the 5 minute segment it was time to run again. My legs hurt a little, my breathing was fine at this point so off I ran again. All I thought the first few minutes was 'dont look at the watch, just run, youll make it'.. Next thing I know the 8 minutes was over and I was done! It felt pretty good, but incredibly hot. I went home to shower, and when i got there.. my stomach felt upset. Turns out, I got food poisoning.. ended up sick all day. Stomach was gurgling, I was throwing up, and worse... ended up sleeping for 14 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My whole day off was sleeping, trying to get that horrible feeling to go away. I made sure to drink some gatorade, and my wife tried to force chicken noodle soup down my throat, but it didn't work.  She didn't find my humor very good this morning when I told her I was gonna go on a short jog! So I took today as a rest day, went to work.. and tomorrow is the dreaded 20 MINUTE RUN! Keep your fingers crossed for me! Congratulations everyone for making it this far!!!!

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...