Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

30935 Views 299 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2009 2:33 PM by clifton4 Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 20 Previous Next
  • clare bo Pro 174 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Jun 9, 2009 3:07 PM (in response to modlie)
    Re: * * * Spring Starters 6/7 - 6/13 * * *

Week 7 day 1...COMPLETED!

Not wild about how it went, but I did it.  I ended up going for 25 mins rather than distance as i have done previously.  I made it 2.15 miles...somewhat slower than my week 6 day 3 run...I could tell I just didn't have it today...but it wasn't a total bomb.

So,on to day two....which is the same as day one...hopefully I will go farther than I did today!

HAPPY RUNNING MY FRIENDS!

LIFE IS GOOD,

CLARE

• tbird17 Rookie 13 posts since
    Apr 12, 2009
    76. Jun 9, 2009 5:08 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Anyone else stuck in a rut?  I don't know if I'm just having a bad day or what, but I could not mentally or physically finish W8D1. 

I've been doing my running on the treadmill, since I can only do it after the kids are in bed (my husband works night shift, so I'm stuck at home to workout).  Last week I ran for 35minutes on the treadmill, and I was so pumped up.  I tried my next run outside, and I sucked.  I could barely run 12minutes straight.  What's up with that?  I guess I don't have my pace figured out yet.  But it was very discouraging.

So tonight, I guess I'm still bummed over that, but I just couldn't do it.  I know I need to get over it and keep moving on.  

Week 7 completed!  Yahooooooo! 

• HappyOnTheMat Pro 95 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    77. Jun 9, 2009 5:20 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Hi ClareBo - congrats on your 25 min run - don't be bummed it wasn't the best _ there are good days, bad days and very occassionally, perfect run days that keep you coming back. I think you did great going 25 mins straight. I am supposed to go 25 mins or 2 1/4miles tomorrow with no break for W6D3> I ran the distance last time out but with a break which I Needed! My route has some substaintial hills (110' rise 6-8% grades according to mapmyrun_-all i know is they kick my butt) and I am definately going to be challenged. I am surprised that my legs recovered quickly from my last 2.12 miles - they feel much better much faster these days which is exciting.

Jubee13 - before deciding if you want to repeat why don't you see how W6D3 goes - you might be feeling great and move forward just fine. My W6D2 run was a bit of lead legged torture as well but I am going to go after Day 3 and see how I do. Let me know how yours goes!

Happy Running Everyone!

x 9 weeks!

GRADUATED COUCH TO 5K JULY 10, 2009 WOOO HOOO!

• astarrc Amateur 62 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009
    78. Jun 9, 2009 6:29 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

WOW!!! What a day. I had to take my son to the dr this am for some warts that he has under his arm. The dr told us before that little kids get them and they will just go away, but with it being under his arm  I think it just got rubbed a bunch and sweat and all. So, I was expecting to just go and get some cream to put on it. BUT nope, they said it was infected and need to come off, so they squeezed some goop out of one and cut the other two off. My son is 5 (almost 6) and has had to have his blood drawn quite a bit (because of allergies, and some immune issues) so he gets really nervous when we go to the dr thinking he's gonna get a needle. It was the worst thing ever, they didn't put any anesthetic on him before they cut it off, he was purple from screaming so hard. OMG!!! SO that's how the day started and I decided to keep him home from school.

I was worried about being able to get my run in, I was gonna run before work after his dr appt. But I gave him his meds and some motrin and he went right to sleep and slept forever. My STAHM neighbor came over and sat with him napping so I could get my run in. I started Week 7 today, 25 minutes, and I don't know if I was just sidetracked thinking about my son or just an off day cause I barely made it to the end of my route, much less the 25 mins straight. I think I ran for about 13 mins then needed a walk break and it just went downhill from there. So tomorrow I'm going for it again, hopefully i'll do much better.

APril 23, 2011 -- First Annual Red Ribbon Run 5K - 35:55

2 year break from running - ugh..  health issues and laziness

July 4, 2009 -- Annual Melon Run 3 Miler - 40:03.28 

• erniedee Amateur 40 posts since
    May 11, 2009
    79. Jun 9, 2009 6:55 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Week 5 Day 2 Done!! I did it! Yay me! I was sure I wouldn't make it, but it actually wasn't that bad. I was sucking wind, but my legs felt pretty good.

I'm not so sure about W5D3 though. I think I might need to stick with W5D3 for a couple more runs. All the W6+ers out there - were you able to go straight from the 2 8 minute intervals to the 20 minute run without a problem, or did you need to repeat days?

On another note, I caluclated my distance - 1st 8 minutes, .84 miles (9.5 minute mile), 2nd 8 minutes, .72 miles (11 minute mile). I'm ok with that. It's actually faster than I expected. I'm running for time not distance, but I was curious how close I was to the distances recommended. Interesting...

W5D2 Done -   () ()

• Mariamou Amateur 67 posts since
    Apr 25, 2009
    80. Jun 9, 2009 7:08 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Week 7 Day 2 complete.  I think I did around 2.4 miles in the total 35 minutes with 25 min run and 10 min warm up/cool down.  I feel good-was gonna go to the club and do it but ran outside.  Felt good. 

I learned how to calibrate my nike+-it has to be only a workout where I only run and no run/walk and it will calibrate itself.  I will have to do this after the program. or figure out to just run it during my cool down.,

Graduated C25K 06/26/2009

May 25, 2009
    81. Jun 9, 2009 7:08 PM (in response to astarrc)

astarrc - Holy Moly after a day like that I give you huge amounts of admiration for getting your run in - days like you had with your son are so draining on the parents too, its no wonder it was a tough run. Pat yourself on the back for getting it in, give your little one extra kisses and go again in a day or two's rest. Great job hanging in there today!

erniedee - I did go straight from the 8 min intervas to the 20 mins of running. I told myself it was only 240 more seconds of running.  If it was super, wind sucking, side stitching tough i'd repeat a day or two until you are more comfortable. No rush!

x 9 weeks!

• sayhellotofrogs Amateur 49 posts since
    Apr 24, 2009
    82. Jun 9, 2009 7:16 PM (in response to astarrc)

Oh my goodness lady, what a day indeed!!! It's not surprising at all that you had an "off" run after what you and your little guy went through today. Hoping you both get lots of rest tonight and things are better in the morning. Prayers and hugs for you and your family.

Chrissy -C25K Graduate!!!  www.caringbridge.org/visit/dylankinsey

• Gmaxwell39 Amateur 43 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009
    83. Jun 9, 2009 7:16 PM (in response to Mariamou)

Mariamou: you only need to walk 1/4 mile and calibrate your walk pace, then run 1/4 mile and calibrate your run pace. It worked like a charm for me . . . it had me going farther and faster than reality so it was a bit of a bummer to calibrate and bring me back down to earth, but now my mileage matches exactly to gmaps and to the car for that matter.

*I'm signed up for my first 5K! 28th Annual Waterfront Festival 10K/5K, June 20, Alexandria, Virginia.*
  • chaobell Rookie 5 posts since
    May 27, 2009
    84. Jun 9, 2009 7:52 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

W3D1 and this ridiculously hot day sure did try to kill me, but they did not succeed. I live!

...I had to flop down directly in front of a fan for about ten minutes after I got home, but I live.

• sgunder2 Pro 96 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    85. Jun 10, 2009 3:20 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

erniedee: I had trouble going from W5D2 to W5D3. It took me three runs after W5D2 until I was actually able to run the full 20 minutes without stopping. The first time I tried, I only made it 12.5 minutes, the next time I made it 15 minutes, and the third time I was able to do the full 20 minutes. If you don't make it the first time, just keep trying and you will get there eventually. But many people, it seems, have been able to make the transition with no problem. You never know what you are capable of until you try! You might end up surprising yourself. Good luck to you.

I, myself am debating whether or not I should run today. My knee has been hurting, so I might wait until tomorrow before I continue on. Is it possible to have runner's knee this early in the game? On this website it says that most people get it around 40 miles a week! Clearly I am not running that much just yet lol. But the rest of the description sounds pretty accurate. It hurts if I sit for a while, and when I am going up or down stairs. Oy.

Week 5 of One Hour Runner Complete!

I am training for a yet-to-be-determined Triathlon

• clare bo Pro 174 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    86. Jun 10, 2009 4:46 AM (in response to sgunder2)

erniedee...I believe I had to attemp day three twice, but I did it!  It is so day to day for me. Some days I can get out there and complete a day three workout no prob...and sometimes I can barely get started.

sgunder....I don't know about runner's knee...but if  something is hurting,you might wanna take an extra day or two off and let it rest. Don't worry about losing what you have gained so far....one of my best runswas after a 4 day rest.

LIFE IS GOOD,

CLARE

May 25, 2009
    87. Jun 10, 2009 5:13 AM (in response to clare bo)

Morning Everyone - today is a run day and it looks to be gray and cool here which works for me!

SGunder2 - rest, rest, rest   If the knee doesn't feel great walking about don't run on it. Your sneakers will be there in another few days. If it is feeling better each day I would really continue to let it do its thing.

Sayhellotofrogs - how are you doing? have you done W7D1 yet??

have a great day!

x 9 weeks!

• AllyDuran Amateur 22 posts since
    Feb 26, 2009
    88. Jun 10, 2009 5:56 AM (in response to HappyOnTheMat)

W1D3 here, and I'll run this evening after work. It's not been too bad yet... just hard enough to make it a challenge. Reading all of your posts about running 12 and 20 minutes straight is starting to scare me though. I can't imagine EVER being there.

I'm wondering what sort of fitness level everyone thought they were at before they started the program. Knowing that someone was where I am might make the end of the program seem more attainable.

Have a great day everyone!

Couch to 5k - wow!
  • DiscoBandit Amateur 32 posts since
    Jun 10, 2009
    89. Jun 10, 2009 6:25 AM (in response to AllyDuran)

Hi Everyone! I'm completely new here so I will introduce myself first! My name is Lisa, I'm 30 and I live in Manchester in the UK. I'm doing the couch to 5k because a)I used to love running when I was at school b)I'd like to get get fit and be able to do 10k races and c)I'd like to tone up and lose a few pounds. I've also discovered that I really love the solitary nature of running. It's just an excuse for me to get out of the house and have a bit of thinking time away from everything. I know a lot of people like to join clubs but for me, the best thing about running is that it's me time!

On Saturday I did W2D2 and it was so easy! My legs were a bit tired but I honestly felt like I could have done it twice over. However, I did W2D3 on Monday and it was just horrendous! During the first bit of running I felt like my lungs were going to explode! My legs were so heavy and I really thought I would have to turn around and walk home. But! I persevered and managed it. It's so weird though that one day can be so good and others can be so bad. Does everyone find this?

I'm so excited to be progressing through this program, although I still can't imagine being in a position to run 5k straight! Hearing everyone's stories about getting to week 4/5/6+ is very inspiring

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 20 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...