Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

16173 Views 33 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2009 6:23 AM by swimslikeabus 1 2 3 Previous Next
swimslikeabus Amateur 20 posts since
Jun 5, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 5, 2009 7:16 PM

can I use my old cheapo mt. bike in a sprint?

I'm thinking about doing a sprint event. I can do the running and swimming but have an old wal-mart mountain bike hanging in the garage. Are there any equipment requirements for sprints?Thanks!

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008

Certainly! Make sure the brakes work, tires are true & the chain is clean. I know mtn bikes aren't allowed in some iron-distance triathlons, but you'll see there are many mtn bikes at sprint events.

And make sure you have a helmet, required.

How far out is the event?

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008

Great idea on changing to a smooth tire. Another thing you can do is look up the event's pictures from last year and browse through the bike pics, then you'll see all sorts of bikes. I didn't grow up wearing a helmet either, but I love my helmet now, feel naked without it.

6-21 is coming up! Let us know how it goes. Have fun!

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• Marcus_S Amateur 14 posts since
    Feb 5, 2008
    5. Jun 7, 2009 12:07 PM (in response to swimslikeabus)
    Re: can I use my old cheapo mt. bike in a sprint?

Good luck in the sprint!  I've done about 6 sprint events on my mountain bike.  For five of them I had smooth road tires and clip on aerobars.  There have always been plenty of people on mtn bikes in the races (in KS and CA).  It's all about being there and having fun, don't worry about not having the best equipment.  I'm always amused when I hear a "whump whump whump" sound from behind me in the ride, and somebody comes flying past with a solid rear wheel.  no big deal - it's about you turning out and enjoying the race.

Have you tried riding a few miles then getting off the bike and immediately running a mile or so?  That's the hardest part.  It's a good idea to try it, because your legs will probably feel locked up after the bike ride and you just have to run through it as best you can.  The feeling goes away pretty quickly, but it's best not to try it for the first time on race day.  (people refer to these training sessions as bricks)

Good luck,

Marcus

• alycat13 Amateur 12 posts since
    Aug 29, 2008
    7. Jun 8, 2009 10:20 PM (in response to swimslikeabus)

Yes, you can use your old MTB. I did my first tris on a 15 year old mountain bike (higher quality than WalMart but nothing to brag about). Two additional tips:

1. Make sure your bar ends are plugged (the end of handlebars need plugs/covers) or you risk disqualification.

2. I highly recommend getting "slicks," narrow road tires/tubes for your bike. You still use the same wheels but for $20-$40 a bike shop can swap out your fat, nubby tires for narrow, higher pressure, road bike type tires. Makes a big difference (for me about 20-30% faster and just way mroe pleasant).

• Accent Fitness Amateur 28 posts since
    Feb 1, 2009
    9. Jun 10, 2009 11:34 AM (in response to swimslikeabus)

Hi there,

You can definitely use an old mountain bike but be prepared to get passed A LOT by people that are not necessarily faster than you but just have a road bike.    If you end up liking triathlons, it will probably be worth it to buy a road bike just so you don't have to use up so much additional energy due to the extra weight of a mountain bike.  You can find used road bikes for really decent prices now-a-days.  Good luck! 

Marlene Summers,

USAT Certified Triathlon Coach

NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    Accent Fitness
    - http://www.accentfitness.net
    "Accelerate your health, Accentuate your life"

• YeahJohn Pro 103 posts since
    Jun 14, 2008
    10. Jun 10, 2009 12:42 PM (in response to swimslikeabus)

Lots of sprint tri's even have a mountain bike division that way you can see your times up againts others on the same bikes. I would recomend rewarding your hard work by getting an entry level road bike for $600 or so from performancebike.com they even had fuji aloha tri bikes for $899. Also check out your local craigslist.org you can get a good used road bike for $400 or $400. After you train hard it might be worth it to invest in a little bit better of a bike.

John

• billprice005 Pro 75 posts since
    Dec 8, 2007

Ditto Accent Fitness. I did my first two on mountain bikes.  THen I bought a used road bike for $200.00.  I still use my mountain bike for training.

Bill

• RyanActive Active.com Staff 87 posts since
    Jun 4, 2008
    14. Jun 11, 2009 3:45 PM (in response to billprice005)

My sister-in-law did a sprint tri on an old beach cruiser. It was hilarious.

As for me, I'm doing my first sprint tri in July and, being that I'm not much of a biker at all, I went on craigslist and bought an old hybrid bike for $150. It's like what they described above--a mountain bike with road-bike wheels. I know a road bike would be easier and it will probably cost me a little bit of time on race day, but I'll live. This is my first tri and I want to complete it without stopping and then go from there.

I had a Wal Mart bike before this and this cheap hybrid bike is WAY lighter. I would definitely recommend getting the smaller wheels, so you don't kill yourself for no good reason.

If I get to where I really like triathlons, I'll throw this bike back on craigslist and pony up for a real road bike. But until then? I'll be one of the rookies out there trudging along and loving it.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points