Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3379 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2009 8:34 AM by Susan Maestas
EverEnduring84 Rookie 2 posts since
Jun 12, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 12, 2009 11:31 AM

How to not pee while running? (2 years post baby..and stil lhaving issues)

*Hello, I'm not a "new" runner so to say..i've been running for the past year and a half since my son was born. However, I have a HUGE issue with urine inconsistency and sometimes pee when im running. I know gross, very embarassing..that's why I'm here to ask what I can do about it. I've tried keagels and they just dont cut it. It's only been after having my son that this has happened. I can run about 1 mile no problem but anything after that..I "leak"..im not saying a just let it all out..but I leak and im about to do my first spirit triathlon and I DONT wanna pee when im running. This issue only occurs when im running, not in my biking, and swimming. What eles can I do to help this other then keagles??? *

*P.S. I try not to drink too much water before my runs as to avoid the problem.  *

• MN Grandma Pro 224 posts since
    Mar 30, 2009

that is the exact reason that I run at 5:30 am!!  I have the same problem if I try to run during or at the end of the day, as I consume 2 huge 64 ounce mugs full of water every day.  and it doesn't matter if I empty my bladder just before I head out the door........Oh, and my kids are 29 and 30, so I don't think it's going to fix itself anytime soon!! 

Good luck......sorry I couldn't give you any better answers.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to  RUN  in the rain. (courtesy of Coach Will)

Started C25K on April 3, 2009
    GRADUATED C25K ON JUNE 7, 2009  

TIME TO FLY 5K    JUNE 27, 2009    38:22

• Robin J. Expert 53 posts since
    Sep 5, 2008

Yea, my kid is 12 and I still have the problem. Like you, it's only when running. Actually, it seems to have gotten a little bit better recently; I've been running about 10 months. When I ran my first 5K in March, I wore a sanitary pad, just in case...

By the way, you need to make sure you hydrate or you will have other issues! We'll all probably be running in Depends by the time we're 60!

• carolynw618 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007

I have a similar issue, although thankfully I can go longer than 1 mile. I've seen the continence doctor in my OB/GYN's group. I suffer from urge and stress incontinence. I too have had kids - 21 year old daughter, 9 year old daughter, and twin 7 year old boys. I've been running for a few years now and the problem has gotten steadily worse with time. My doctor tells me at 44 years old, I'm too young to have to deal with this problem.

My doctor recommended a surgical procedure, called a synthetic sling procedure, for the stress issue. There isn't a pill to take that will fix the stress problem, as there is for the urge issue. The procedure is outpatient and my friend had the same thing done last year. I will schedule mine for later this year after I run a half-marathon in November.

I highly recommend seeing a doctor!

• tenrun Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I have this problem and am seeking medical resolution.  There are new procedures to give support .  There is a sling that can be inserted surgically on an outpatient basis.  there is also collagen injection to give the area around the urethra some added support.  I am told that which method is used has to do with how serious the leakage is.  I told my gynecologist of the problem and he referred me to a urologist.

• BabyCatcherNat Amateur 16 posts since
    Mar 29, 2008

Since women's health is my area of expertise....allow me to give some suggestions.  First off, this is a problem that is very common among women so don't think you're "weird" or that something is seriously wrong with you.  You mentioned kegals-these sometimes work but you need to be sure that you are doing them correctly and frequently-some docs recommend up to 10-12 sets of 10-12 reps per day.  If kegals are not working, you should see your doctor.  There are both surgical and non-surgical options available. A non surgical option may be a pessary, since this is not a medical forum and some of the words I'd have to use to describe it may be offensive to others-I'll let you look it up on your own, or ask your doctor about it.

Good luck to you, I know it's frustrating when something gets in the way of running!

Embrace the Journey

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008

You might want to make sure that you are not holding gas in your intestines. I suffer from gas, and there have been times when I have been running and had to urinate very badly. Just when I thought some urine was coming out, what happened instead was a release of extraneous gas and that relieved a great deal of pressure on my bladder. So you may approach this problem from the angle of colon health. Parasites, candida, anxiety and diet can all cause bloating of the intestines.

Paul

• CEEGIRL Rookie 12 posts since
    Dec 19, 2008

I have the same problem after having two kids.   I just run with a panty liner every morning and like an earlier post, I run first thing.  If I ran after my coffee, it would not be pretty.  My sister in law has the same problem but a bit worse than leaking....she is seeing a therapist for this exact thing and has learned some wonderful non surgical things to help the situation.  I would talk to a doctor but ask them for a referal for a physical therapist who specializes in it.  I asked my obgyn about it and she shrugged and said the only thing is surgery....not true!  So anyway, good luck, don't get discouraged, you can run with this issue, its not as pretty but don't let it stop you.

Caren

• Susan Maestas Rookie 1 posts since
    May 25, 2009

Oh I am so glad I am not the only one. I also run with a panty liner just for peace of mind. Plus I don't wear light colored clothes either seems darker colors hide the drips a bit better. Ha Ha. I also have 2 kids ages 25 and 20. Before a race I am using the porta  potty about 10 times before I start. I have a my first half marthon and I am a bit worried about it with my leaking problem. But it won't stop me. It is just nice to hear others have the same  problem.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points