Skip navigation

1525 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2009 8:26 AM by cplmtz0121
MikeDaMarine08 We're Not Worthy 2,498 posts since
Aug 14, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 13, 2009 3:32 AM

Saturday Runs

Off with Irene to do our 8K.  Enjoy your Saturday everyone!

MCM '09, '10, '11

Richmond Marathon '09

RNR Arizona Marathon '10

RNR Mardi Gras Marathon '10

Shamrock Marathon '10, '12

Frederick Marathon '10

Madison Marathon '10

1/2 Sauer 1/2 Kraut Marathon '10

Baltimore Marathon '10

Outer Banks Marathon '10

Seashore 50K

Houston '12

Flying Pig '12

Next Race - MCM Baby!!!!!!

• mikehelvey Legend 516 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jun 13, 2009 6:45 AM (in response to MikeDaMarine08)
    Re: Saturday Runs

10 Miles.  Made my targets at each mile for the first time ever I think.  9:01 average. woo-hoo.

I've been gone for a bit.  Did a 6 mile run at Isle of Palms, SC on Thursday at 9:00 average.  I was shooting for 8:28...but got psyched out at the turn around.  I HATE out and backs.  Plus I lost a mile on the way back and when I turned to the last  half I realized where I was so didn't kick the last mile like I usually do. 

Still, a run at IoP is better then a run at home... ANY DAY! 

Grace and peace,

Mike Helvey

"We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness.." -David Weatherford

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    2. Jun 13, 2009 7:01 AM (in response to mikehelvey)

I went out for my last long run before Seattle - 12 miles.  Made it 9 and said screw it.  It's 80 degrees, not a cloud in the sky, no wind, and 100% humidity (somehow).  Ugh!

Kept up my 9:30 long-run pace for the first eight, but just decided I needed a rest, walked most of mile 9.   I've got 30 miles/week for the last three weeks, which is almost double my regular mileage, plus just ran a 4:05 marathon three weeks ago and a 14-miler last weekend.  So surely I can live without another longish run.  Yes, I'm trying to convince myself...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.   Rest time

• FLKaren Legend 1,195 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    3. Jun 13, 2009 8:09 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

12.3 humid miles today. The wicking fabric in my top was no match to all that sweat.

Dig deep, people, you can do it!
  • Courir26 We're Not Worthy 1,968 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    4. Jun 13, 2009 8:21 AM (in response to FLKaren)

Good luck Mike & Irene! Oh, you're probably done... how'd it go, Mike?

Nice runs, Mike, Nita, & Karen! Don't worry about the 3 miles, Nita, you've got it covered.

Go UltraKat!!

Just thought of this a few minutes ago... I'm gonna drive a few minutes and run some hills.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,409 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    5. Jun 13, 2009 9:03 AM (in response to Courir26)

Rode the bike 14 miles this morning, in just under an hour. That's my cross-training for this week! I have a 10 mile run planned tomorrow.

Len

• MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    6. Jun 13, 2009 9:49 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Nita, I think you're good to go!

I ran about 5.25 miles in the heat, high humidity and hills with Andrea, while also pushing Skylar in her jogging stroller.  She ain't getting any lighter!  I did get a few intervals of relative rest because she frequently wanted to get out and run with us!  She'd go maybe 50 yards and then jump back in the stroller.  Got home and then went back out for another 1.25 with Raeann, Lincoln, and our dog, Red.  It was a good morning!  6.5 total.

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

• KarlD_Navy84 Legend 879 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    7. Jun 13, 2009 12:25 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Will probably do some core work today; maybe another leg workout, but definitely some stretching.

FYI, for anyone who is running Vegas, they just published the course a couple days ago.  Check it out.  No elevations, but  I used to go there a lot on business up until last year.  The biggest hills in the city are the on ramps and over passes.  The whole course is in and around the strip.

http://las-vegas.competitor.com/event-info/course

Talk to you soon.

Karl

Karl

• Courir26 We're Not Worthy 1,968 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    8. Jun 13, 2009 12:54 PM (in response to KarlD_Navy84)

I was thinking 10 miles, ended up doing 13.11 hilly miles, in part due to unfamiliarity with the roads there. Impressively sluggish but otherwise felt pretty decent for coming off bronchitis. Picked a side street to park and found a little park which turned out to be a 9/11 memorial. Pretty nice though bizarrely random location. Rain started during post-run stretching, so nice timing.

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    9. Jun 13, 2009 1:50 PM (in response to Courir26)

Courir26 wrote:

I was thinking 10 miles, ended up doing 13.11 hilly miles, in part due to unfamiliarity with the roads there. Impressively sluggish but otherwise felt pretty decent for coming off bronchitis. Picked a side street to park and found a little park which turned out to be a 9/11 memorial. Pretty nice though bizarrely random location. Rain started during post-run stretching, so nice timing.

"Impressively sluggish" is a WONDERFUL phrase, Craig, and a familiar feeling.  "Bizarrely random" is great, too.  Hope the bronchitits heals quickly!

• JerryX Legend 851 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    10. Jun 13, 2009 7:26 PM (in response to MikeDaMarine08)

10 hot miles on the Custis Trail with Tuan's DSG Crew...it was hot and we started at 0600...what a way to start a weekend...i am tired...

tomorrow, clean the gutters, mow the lawn, and maybe swim a little....

Happy Running!

• pjconstantine Rookie 12 posts since
    Jun 2, 2003
    11. Jun 14, 2009 1:22 PM (in response to MikeDaMarine08)

Just over 13 miles.  Ran with a young (29), old running partner.  She only made it through mile 9 -- made this old guy feel good!  Miles 8 - 12.5 were a steady up hill, roughly 50' elevation gain per mile. Weather here is Seattle has been pretty conducive to runningespecially in the morningslately.

• cplmtz0121 We're Not Worthy 2,455 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    12. Jun 15, 2009 8:26 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

Thank God I read your report for Saturday's run Nita.  I went out for 18-20 but ended up doing 12 and ran/walked 6 for a total of about 18 or so.  It was so freakin hot!!!  The first 9 were all right, then the last 3 it's when the sun started coming out and it all went to sh!t from there.  I have no idea how I am going to do a 50k when I can't even do 20!  This coming Saturday will be a second try for a 20+ run.  We'll see how that goes.

On a side note, I do think my 5-6 hrs of sleep a night Mon-Fri had also something to do with my energy levels that day.

Hard-charging motivating Devil Dog

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...