Skip navigation

4977 Views 27 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2009 6:06 PM by JoJo Bolden RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Julieae Rookie 6 posts since
    Apr 18, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Apr 19, 2009 1:04 PM (in response to HercsMom)
    Re: I have 100+ pounds to shed

Hello Hercsmom!,

I'm new here too and don't have quite as much to loose but, one thing that has helped me alot was weight watchers. I joined two years ago and then fell off for a while but, the lesson they taught me that really stuck was to know what I'm putting in my mouth at all times. Not just, okay this is a salad or this is fattening but, what is it. I was shocked at some of the things I found out! I had once thought that if it's whole grain, it's good for you and therefore you can have it, but have you ever checked out the labels on some of what is thought to be "good for you"? You'd be surprised.

Weight watchers helped me realized that though the package says it's good for you, there is still the never ending task of limiting the intake and knowing how much a serving is. I also found out that starving yourself doesn't help. It puts your body into storage mode and slows down your metabolism so you burn less. Then when you can't take it anymore and you binge, most of what you eat goes into storage for the next time you stop eating! It's a vicious cycle!

Trick is to eat specific portions of the main food groups. Filling foods, fruits, veggies, whole grains and limit the red meat. Oh and LOTS OF WATER!!!

As I said, I joined ww 2 years ago and within just the first 10 week program, I was down 15 pounds. And I did it the healthy way.

Anyway, good luck and keep up the enthusiasm! That's half the battle!

• fab40sathlete Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 21, 2009
    17. Apr 21, 2009 10:41 AM (in response to Julieae)

Hello,  I just wanted to let you know you can do it!  I have been a weight watcher on and off for the past 20 years.  Two years ago I joined for my last time, for life!  I have lost 115 pounds so far, have about 30 more to go.  I'm not anymore so focused on the number on the scale, but how fit I am.  Along with joining weight watchers I joined the gym and have not stopped.  I'm running this weekend in my first 1/2 marathon and just signed up for another one!  I was never a runner/athlete but consider myself one today and I'm 43 years old!  

My advice is to always put yourself first, I never did and it got me to 300 pounds.  I now put my self first and have found that it was actually better for everyone in my life not just me.  My husband who used to run marathons 26 years ago, lost 45 pounds and is training with me and is running is first full marathon in 26 years this October.  

Keep on the path and if the path takes you off track, just remember you can always get back!

Good Luck!  Keep it up!

• Barbie B Foster Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 23, 2009
    18. Apr 23, 2009 5:11 AM (in response to HercsMom)

I am at least 50 lbs overweight and finished my 3rd Boston marathon for charity.  I just couldn't lose weight while training.  I feel like I must before my next 1/2 marathon on May 25.  If anyone has any tips on how to lose weight please let me know.

Barbie

• razmatazkim Expert 33 posts since
    Oct 13, 2008
    19. Apr 23, 2009 9:05 AM (in response to Barbie B Foster)

Wow...Boston.  I'm envious!  What an amazing accomplishment!  I could only dream of doing it!

I can relate to what a lot of you have said about making yourself & your health a priority.  It really is hard work that is worth it in the end.  There a lots of things family & friends can do to help you but exercise & putting yourself on the priority list is something only you can do.

I have read that training for marathons can make losing weight difficult.  I have only done half marathons but running has been the biggest key to success for me.  I  Food is something I enjoy and it just wasn't worth it to me to severly restrict what I ate...which is why I started with running and really did not work on food right away.

I too became frustrated when I was increasing my mileage but not seeing the benefit on the scale.  That was the push to start making some small changes.  When I could see the result of making some tweaks to my food, it was my motivation to do a little bit more work on food.  It was very gradual but I have maintained a weight loss of 40 lbs.  Today, I feel like I've reached a very good place where healthy foods are what I want (most of the time!), it's what works best for getting the most out of every run and it's what is doable for the long-term.  It took me a while to understand that this was just math:  calories in vs calories burned...and I'm an accountant for crying out loud. 

These just some "little" tweaks that made a big difference for me. 

--Sit down and take a personal inventory of your obligations to work, family, friends, etc.  Then, with that in mind, think about what you are willing to do.  Is it feasible to brown bag at work or do you travel & need to make better choices while eating out;  do you need to balance what you need to eat with what the kids will eat, etc.  It sounds silly but you need to come up some ideas that will work for your lifestyle.  It's a different answer for everyone.

--Portion sizes:  protein the size of a deck of cards & pasta the size of tennis ball; slightly more carbs on days with long runs but otherwise, a balanced approach to carbs vs protein

Wateras much and as often as possible; no more diet sodas; substitute green tea instead

--Change up the running routine; consider adding a hill workout once a week, or a speed workout.  Change up the cross-training & strengthroutine.  The body is incredibly adaptive and you have to keep challenging it with something new.

--Substitute baby spinach for lettuce at every possible opportunity; No more salad dressings made with sour cream, mayo or lots of preservatives.  Instead:  homemade vinegarette made with olive oil, fresh pepper, dijon mustard, splash of orange juice or balsalmic vingegar. 

--One "cheat" MEAL per week; not one day of cheating but one meal that you have guilt-free.  I usually have this one the day after my weekly long run

--Drew a line on my wine glass that measured 4 oz.  I enjoy red wine and I did not want to make that sacrifice but little did I realize that what I thought was "a glass" was actually double the suggested amount for females.

--Eat a  healthy breakfast.  I like Kashi Go Lean cereal with fruit or Yoplait light yogurt with walnuts & blueberries.  Then, eat small meals every few hours throughout the day.  Mine are usually about 200 calories.  This will keep that feeling of "starving" at bay but it really helped me feel fueled when I went out for a run in the evening.

--Be patient with yourself.  You can do it and it does get easier once you get the ball rolling. 

I wish you luck and if you can do 26.2 miles...really, you can do anything. 

• FormerFatGirl Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 23, 2009
    20. Apr 23, 2009 1:52 PM (in response to HercsMom)

Hi Hercsmom and everyone!

I started my journey at 255 lbs and am now 176.  I'm working on my last 40 lbs and am also in training for my first sprint tri (followed by another sprint tri and a half-marathon!)  I won't say it was easy, because that would be a lie.  If it were easy, everyone would lose weight!  My advice is to clean up your diet, and skip anything that comes in a box or a can, and isn't cooked in your own home.  That's what I did, and will continue to do.  Good luck!

"And let us not get tired of doing what is right, for after a while we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't get discouraged and give up." Galatians 6:9

Visit my blog Half of Me or follow me on Twitter

• TriFitRacing Pro 2 posts since
    Mar 15, 2008
    21. Apr 24, 2009 6:15 AM (in response to HercsMom)

I have lost 160lbs in 4yrs!!*

The key for me was eating 5 mini meals a day between 100 and 200 calories with a dinner between 500-1000 calories.

The exercise trick that worked for me was to get involved with others. Just hitting the treadmill day after day won't last long. I run in most of the neighborhood 5k's, bike with a group each week and swim with a master's group. By being around others trying to do the same thing keeps me motivated.

Remember you did not gain the weight overnight, so stay focused on losing the weight over time. For me it became a lifestyle change not a quick diet to loss a few pounds.

Jonathan Hinkle*

www.JonathanFit.com

Jhinkle00@gmail.com

*Leesburg, VA

Thanks,

Jonathan Hinkle

www.TriFitRacing.com

Jhinkle@gmail.com

Leesburg, VA

• HSHickey Rookie 1 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    22. May 9, 2009 4:45 PM (in response to HercsMom)

I thought the same thing back in January when I got hooked on this site.  I started out at 342 and have lost 62 pounds so far.  I am up to running 1.5 miles without walking and can do a 5K in under 40 minutes.  It took time, persistance and encouragement from a friend I will owe my life to.  So hang in there, budget your time and find someone to run/walk with!

• smspaz3 Amateur 9 posts since
    May 15, 2009
    23. May 15, 2009 7:15 AM (in response to HercsMom)

Congratulations on getting started on a plan to get healthy again. I'm one that's on the roller coaster gaining and losing the same 10 - 15 pounds. I've lost 8 already and I'm still feeling really motivated. What has helped me is having a support system. I use the website http://www.sparkpeople.com/ . It's free, you can keep track of calories and exercise and the message boards are full of wonder people.

Sue

http://www.myspacecodezone.net/

• KayelleO Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 18, 2008
    24. Jun 2, 2009 12:07 AM (in response to HercsMom)

I have to say I am inspired by what I am reading in this thread. The courage I see demonstrated here to take a stand for your personal health is truly amazing. You may not always know how you're going to get there but the passion to change is exactly what will bring you to it. Just look at all the support you have just by reaching out. A favorite quote of mine is one from Oprah "Right now you are one step away from a new beginning, one that leads you towards becoming the fullest human being you can be." You've taken the hardest step, acknowledging your desire to change, now you get to step into that and take action! I am a nutritional coach with a world leading nutritional cleansing and replenishing system. I would love to share a link that truly inspires me, and hopefully will do the same for you. Please check out:  http://klowen.isagenix.com/ca/en/isavideos_isabody08.dhtml   I have personally met some of the people in the video who live in my home town. I know they would tell you that if they could do it so can you! Today, they are healthier, cleaner and leaner each having met and maintained their goals. I wish you all the best!

In health and happiness,

kayelle

• azmom71 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 2, 2009
    25. Jun 2, 2009 6:50 PM (in response to HercsMom)

Hello, I myself have 100lbs to loose, it has been a strugle, BUT so far I have lost 50, I have 70 more to go. It is really like everyone says, hard work and dedication. The weight didnt come on over night so do'nt expect it to disappear over night !!! I started with extra extra fruits and veggie's until I got use to not eating the crappy food. Now fruit and veggie's are a part of me I will not give up.  Dont get me wrong I do have some days that are harder than others but try to remember what your working towards. I find that if I set a small goal that it is easier for me to stay focused. I have decided that I am going to do the 5k in Dec. and eventually I AM going to do the PF Change Half Marathon (thats my big goal) So, Keep up the good work !!

Wendy 

• aswatson Amateur 25 posts since
    Jun 9, 2008
    26. Jun 14, 2009 4:15 AM (in response to HercsMom)

Greetings, I would like to invite you to check out the story of a good friend of mine. Go to my site www.humanvitamin.com & check out the Wes Sims story. He is a HS football coach that has lost 124 pounds in the last 10 months. The products work & are very safe. Google any of our Sci-Med bd. & you will see why these products get results. Take these safe supplements & eat correctly & get plenty of exersize & you will loose wt. My job is to coach you on taking the supplementd the correct way.You can contact me off of my site!

• JoJo Bolden Amateur 11 posts since
    Oct 14, 2008
    27. Jun 16, 2009 6:06 PM (in response to HercsMom)

I agree mostly with what everyone is saying...I have lot almost 85 pounds with diet and exercise.  I workout 7 days a week, spin class everyday (it's my new addiction), resistance training at least two days a week and running 5k and 10k races.  I try to do a race every month.  I keep a record of my personal best.  When I first started my journey, I worked out and lost about 30lbs in the first year.  I had not made the connection with proper nutrition and exercise.  Now in my second year, I made the connection but keeping a food journal and adding on different types of exercises.  I have found that taking exercise classes at the gym helps me to stay focus and also surrounding myself with people who have similar goals.  I am about 15lbs from my weight lost goal, yeah!!!  My new goal is to do a half-marathon by the end of 2009 and my first triathlon next spring.

My suggestion:  enjoy small and large successes on your journey.

JoJo

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points