Skip navigation

2871 Views 24 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2009 8:35 AM by FormerBAM RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,391 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jun 13, 2009 6:40 PM (in response to KarlD_Navy84)
    Re: For all our service members out here!

Karl, I understand what you're saying about the draft.  But been there done that, and in my experience it doesn't work that way. I was in basic with guys from NYC who were there because it was that or jail. They didn't always like it (neither did I) but mostly they adjusted and did their job. Many volunteers are there for the money and the "career opportunity", and expect (or fervently hope) they will never see combat. I don't think they see themselves as serving some larger purpose. And given the mental/emotional problems in today's forces, well, many of those people are better left home anyway.

Len

• KarlD_Navy84 Legend 879 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    16. Jun 13, 2009 10:18 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Excellent points Len,

Glad to hear you saw some of the positives. I don't deny that there are some other good examples out there.  On balance though, I'd prefer to stick with the way things are now if the alternative was to go back to the draft as we know it.  I just don't think that there are enough stories similar to yours that would warrant a change. So that being the case, I am not sure there is all that much to be gained by going back to the old system.  However, if something more innovative were developed that included the military option and AmeriCorps or another such organization, that might work.  People would still have a choice (military vs. non-military), which would probably result in less people trying to get out of their commitment.  Good discussion.  Talk to you soon.

Karl

Karl

• MikeDaMarine08 We're Not Worthy 2,498 posts since
    Aug 14, 2008
    17. Jun 14, 2009 5:35 PM (in response to KarlD_Navy84)

Charlotte thank you for posting this.  Here I thought I was the only one that thought bringing back the draft was a good idea.  Unfortunately, I don't see it as ever working in these times.

My Dad had 9 brothers who were all draft age during WWII and Korea, ALL of them got drafted except for 2 who were medically disqualified.  They lost one brother in Korea during the intial surge pushing allied forces back.  When I joined every last one of them called me to congratulate me.  I didn't understand what the big deal was at the time.  

Now I do.

MCM '09, '10, '11

Richmond Marathon '09

RNR Arizona Marathon '10

RNR Mardi Gras Marathon '10

Shamrock Marathon '10, '12

Frederick Marathon '10

Madison Marathon '10

1/2 Sauer 1/2 Kraut Marathon '10

Baltimore Marathon '10

Outer Banks Marathon '10

Seashore 50K

Houston '12

Flying Pig '12

Next Race - MCM Baby!!!!!!

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    18. Jun 14, 2009 6:20 PM (in response to MikeDaMarine08)

During World War 2, American Indian nations, many after years of exclusion, had a new generation of warriors to honor.  Elders who had fought in the late 1800s in tribal conflicts and both with and against the US Army and Mexican forces came forth to honor those who served and revived warrior society ceremonies proudly.

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    19. Jun 14, 2009 6:43 PM (in response to Immer treu)

May I personally commend one of our very own for his service?  Jesus came to our country as a child, was deported, and came back legally as a young teen, if I recall correctly, and later voluntarily joined the U.S. Marine Corps and served proudly.  I think his story is truly exceptional.  He is honestly one of the most patriotic and thankful Americans I have ever known.

Love you, Jesus!

I just wanted to share that.

P.S.  I hope you don't mind, Jesus

• cplmtz0121 We're Not Worthy 2,455 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    22. Jun 15, 2009 8:14 AM (in response to dutch omi)

Wow, I didn't you guys thought about me even after being gone!  Thank you so much! 

I don't mind at all Nita, I am very proud of my story.  The funny part is, I didn't become a citizen until after I left the service and yes, I still had to go through the whole application, fees, interviews and the waiting.  That privilege was never in my mind, or the educational benefit, or any of the other benefits.  I just thought serving was the LEAST I could do to thank this awesome country.  So I thought, if I am going to serve, might as well choose the best branch    

And yes, when God blesses us with children, I really hope they decide to serve.  Personally I feel it should be everyone's duty to serve.

Hard-charging motivating Devil Dog

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    23. Jun 15, 2009 8:23 AM (in response to cplmtz0121)

Jesus ~ Your story is cool.

This place is like home!!!!

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    24. Jun 15, 2009 8:35 AM (in response to cplmtz0121)

You're my hero, Jesus.     One of a kind.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...