Skip navigation

379 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2009 8:45 AM by Phillip Sinclair RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 13, 2009 12:09 PM

Manhattan BEACH 5K Reviews

Share your experiences with the Manhattan BEACH 5K below Back to event details page.

• Fitness Nutt Amateur 10 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    1. Jun 13, 2009 12:09 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Manhattan BEACH 5K Reviews

Hello all, Here is the website for the MHB5K pictures. www.universal-photography.net the race director will be sending out an all email to the folks who registered as soon as he gets the list. I'll have the pictures posted by Monday evening the 15th hopefully.

It was a great day for running and another fine event put on by the team!

• Lorie90254 Amateur 17 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Jun 13, 2009 1:37 PM (in response to Guest )

It was a great day for a run.  Lots of cloud cover to keep me cool and humidity to keep me hydrated.  The low tide provided for a very wide hard-packed sand surface for running.  I like that the city-owned restrooms were easily accessible and I didn't have to wait in line.  That always happens with bigger races and for this reason I liked this smaller race.   I liked the 5-step winners podium with the winners being announced and the photographer taking pictures.  I hope he got mine.    I would have preferred a medal for my win than a cookie, but hey, I guess that would have been more expensive.    I will definitely do this race again because I live locally and its nice being able to get to the race site on my bike.

• reannakastigar Rookie 1 posts since
    May 23, 2009
    3. Jun 13, 2009 10:04 PM (in response to Guest )

What a terrific day in the South Bay! I rode my bike a mile down the strand to the event at the Manhattan Beach Peir which was great! No parking worries and a nice little warm up. Then I walked up the peir to Shellbacks to celebrate a strong finish with a beer in true South Bay style. This is my third time running this race. The sand was steeper than most years the first 1/4 mile due to winter storms wshing away some of the beach...but otherwise the event was great! Great treats of orange, banana, bagels and cream cheese, waters and gatorade. It is a great small community race and the turnout was awesome! See you there next year!

• delasol2 Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    4. Jun 16, 2009 10:38 AM (in response to Guest )

I loved this event! Great for 1st timers or a quick family event to do together even if you have a Bob's Jogging stroller you can run/walk your little ones in your jogging stroller. Nice helpful staff, so you could even do a late registration for this event. The kids race was awesome to do for 1st timers for kids! I'll do this next year!

• Susan/Andrew Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 1, 2008
    5. Jun 16, 2009 10:44 AM (in response to Guest )

Kids were disappointed no medals were given out. And we'll be concentrating on running events that benefit something inspirational in the future. Other than that - this was a nice run and a well organized event. Good size too.

• oceanjim Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 23, 2009
    6. Jun 16, 2009 11:01 AM (in response to Guest )

The event was well organised. The course was clearly marked and started on time. Running on the sand is different. Obviously the sand closer to the water was easier to run on. The number of people seemed about right. If it grows much more 550-600 people then the running on the "good" sand will get annoyingly congested. I brought 2 newbies with me and we all had a good time.

• Thailiz Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 25, 2007
    7. Jun 16, 2009 11:33 AM (in response to Guest )

Very fun, I'd highly recommend it.  Well organized, great location.  My first race pushing the baby jogger so the sand was interesting but well worth it.  Definitely better to cap the race, though - too many runners would make it annoying as another reviewer said.

• shb761567 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 9, 2009
    8. Jun 16, 2009 12:50 PM (in response to Guest )

It was a fantanstic day! Great job by all that participated!!!

• new jogger Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 12, 2007
    9. Jun 16, 2009 7:14 PM (in response to Guest )

Really great event, I look forward to next year.  I loved the Yoga before the run and found the run itself to be very organized.

• janetschulltz Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 20, 2009
    10. Jun 17, 2009 3:03 AM (in response to Guest )

A great organized event at least from a newbie perspective! Not too big, the sand/water part was really fun, and the snacks excellent including the coconut water. I finished my "walk" and was not the last one so it was a big event for a 60  who has no knees! Cannot wait until my next one and will do this one next year for sure!

Janet Schultz
  • Phillip Sinclair Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 5, 2008
    11. Jun 17, 2009 8:45 AM (in response to Guest )

Great run barefoot on the sand, and it was a perfect day for it. Nicely organized.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...