Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3193 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2009 2:35 PM by zerof239
zerof239 Rookie 4 posts since
Jun 14, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 14, 2009 5:54 PM

All stars selections '09

I know this is not suppposed talked about until June 15th.  But, wait and you'll understand.

Hypothetically, lol, I have an 11y/o, who is played this year as an 11 y/o right!?  Now all-stars are among us.  To make this article not so long, I'll just put it point-blank.  The president of our league, on his own, without the board of directors being involved, stated that my hypothetical son will be pulled up to the 12 y/o all star team, and if he doesn't, or mainly my point his parents don't want him to,  then he will not play at all. 

I don't care what little league baseball directors think, and I don't exactly know what the rule is, but I have to believe that the parents should have the ultimate say!

With that said, there is no danger with him playing, he's the top 4 kid, no doubt of all the 11's, and 12's.  There's no doubt in my mind that he can play, and can compete as well as any.  We have been through that playing up ****, for the first 3 years in select, and it didn't work out for his confidence.  This is our main reason, adn his is he's been playing with the 11's all season.

Shouldn't he be allowed to play his own age group?  Are they allowed to tell us that if he doesn't play 12's he won't play at all?  That just is not what little league baseball should be about..............

Frustrated!

• MyTwoSons Community Moderator 224 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. Jun 14, 2009 9:02 PM (in response to zerof239)
    Re: All stars selections '09

From a club ball perspective he is playing within his age group.   For example Pony Baseball has a Bronco Division which is 12U which includes 11's & 12's.  You and your son should consider it an honor that your son has been selected to represent his community.  If the team should not advance far, it could give your son the experience and preparation to go further next year.

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Jun 15, 2009 8:57 AM (in response to zerof239)

What "division" did he play in during the Regular Season?

Sounds like he played Majors, in which case I assume the league is looking for him to play on the 11-12 (Majors) Tournament Team.  How is an 11 year old playing on the 11-12 team "playing up"?  He played majors all season and he is up for selection on the major tournament team, personally I don't see that as playing up.

Are you saying you would rather have him on the 10-11 Tournament Team rather than the 11-12 Tournament Team but the league (President) says if he does not play on the 11-12 team he will not be allowed to play on the 10-11 Team?

One last thing - there is "No Rule" that governs how a league picks its Tournament Teams. It's up to the local BOD and it should be described in your Local Rules BEFORE the season starts (so everyone knows ahead of time how it will be done)! That said, many/most leagues put their best players on the 11-12 (Major) Team and then work down from there.

• MyTwoSons Community Moderator 224 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    4. Jun 15, 2009 10:20 AM (in response to zerof239)

We don't play Little League we play Pony.  We send two teams to All Stars, with the A team being predominately 12's and the B teams being mostly 11's.  The problem is the B teams face the A teams in all stars.  So if you have a weak B team they are going to play three and go home.  So we prefer that he plays "up" with the 12's.

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    6. Jun 16, 2009 1:05 PM (in response to zerof239)

In LL there is a 9-10 Tournament and a 10-11 Tournament both of which stop at State Level.

The 11-12 Tournament (Majors) goes all the way to Williamsport.

So, that being the case, MOST leagues put their best 11-12 players on the 11-12 Team.  To me having an 11 year old on the 11-12 team is not playing up.  Having an 11 year old who "should" be on the 11-12 team playing on the 10-11 team by "parent request" is playing down.

Around here, leagues pick "the best players" for the 11-12 team, if a selected player does NOT want to play on the 11-12 then he is not allowed to play on the 10-11 team.  Same thing for a 10 year old, if he's picked for the 10-11 and says NO then he can't play 9-10.

Is that right - maybe/maybe not, but it is the way it is.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...