Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2320 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2009 1:13 PM by Biker Jane RSS
miranez Rookie 5 posts since
Jun 16, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 16, 2009 5:56 PM

Looking to be accountable and for support to begin this program

Hi, I looked into this program about a month ago and have not started.  Can't get the motivation.  However, for health reasons and stress release, I'd like to try running because I get bored in a gym setting.  I have not worked out in a gym in about two years and am really out of shape.

Because I have a tendency to have a sore back and hips, I bought some new shoes, and I'm ready to go.  What I'd like to know is 1) How did you get the motivation to make that first workout? and 2) How do you hold yourself accountable? 

After looking on the boards, it seems like this is a good place to start for support as well.

Thanks for reading!

• ShellySpence Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 16, 2009

Hello!  I did the same thing. Thought about starting to run and put it off for about a month. I always hated running, HATED it. So, I wanted to prove to myself that I could run a 5k. Once you get going, you will be surprised to find that you will actually WANT to go running. It's only been 6 weeks, but I love it now!  With the 'couch to 5K' program that is on this site, it makes it much easier to kind of ease into it. If I hadn't done that I would have gone out the first day, tried to run 20 minutes straight, said forget this and gave up. Having a little program to follow really helped me to stay focused. Each time, I would look at my sheet, see what day on was on and it became more of a challenge that way. I'm kind of a nerd that way, but having it all planned out made all the difference in the world.  Good Luck, I think once you get started you will be so glad you did.

• Biker Jane Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 14, 2008

I am 47 going on 48.  I dont have trouble getting started.  It is continuing that gets me.  It always seems something comes up or more excuses than I can count on one hand.  I am overweight also.  I keep telling myself if someone would call/text me on a daily bases to hear my excuses and kick my butt I could get over this hump.  I have been one of those who find it more interesting to take care of others and have forgot about myself in the long run.

You are not alone,

Tammy

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008

When I started running, it was for my son to help him prepare for a belt test for karate.  After a few weeks, I became hooked (and he hated it but did it long enough to pass his belt test).  What I found helped keep me motivated in the beginning and still does is to register for races.  I registered for my first 5K after running about a month and had 2 months to prepare.  I wanted to just finish it which I did.  It was such a huge accomplishment for me as well as a huge thrill to participate in that it has since kept me hooked.  Of course, the longer you run the more beneifts you'll see such as weight loss, increased stamina, reduced stress, all the usual benefits of exercise.  So I strongly suggest finding a 5K in the next few months and register NOW so you'll have a goal to shoot for.  You'll be glad you did!

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• Maple Leaf 28 Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

My routine may help you get going.  I'm almost done with the C25K program (W9D2).  I set out my jogging clothes the night before the scheduled workout.  Then I set my alarm for 4am.  When it goes off, I am so out of it, I don't know what's going on but I stumble to the couch and put on my clothes and head out. 

If I were to schedule my jogs for the evenings, I would think about it all day, and come up with a myriad of excuses not to do it.  By going out so early, I think I'm tricking myself.  By the time I realize what I'm doing, I'm already outside doing a little warmup walk, and I have accomplished the hardest thing for me to do:  just getting out the door.  I think my method takes motivation out of the equation.

It is also very nice to get your workout done first thing because it will energize you for the rest of the day.  I've also seen some awesome examples of natural beauty like a full moon setting behind the mountains.  You also don't have to worry about traffic.

I guess I hold myself accountable by keeping a log of each workout in a cheap notebook.  The first few weeks are very doable, and so your notebook will begin to grow.  Once the workouts get a little harder, you will want to do them so that you don't have gaps in your notebook. 

Just to let you know, this program is so great.  I am 36, 6'1", and 290 pounds and this morning I jogged for 30 minutes straight.  I'm still in disbelief just typing that sentence.

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008

MapleLeaf, I agree. I am too a morning runner for the same reason you are.  Only difference is I get up at 4 and have my coffee first then head out by 4:45.  I run 5 1/4 miles in the morning before work and between the kids, the job, the husband and the dog, I'd never do it if I waited unti the am.  Some of my favorite runs have been in the dark in the cold of winter.  I like running with no audience and no traffic.  No matter what the prefered method of running or the motivation to start, the main goal is to make it work for each indivdual so you keep doing it.

TRUST THE TRAINING!

Oct 14, 2008

My goal is to run a marathon before I turn 50.  I am glad I am not the only one who has challenges.  While reading the runners magazine it makes me think that these people are born to run.  However, I have not been athletic during my life time and have always wanted to run.  I have started walking 1.5 miles every other day.  I thank you for your many ideas and will see if I can find a routine.  It sounds as if the mornings are the best.

• ModernMaven Pro 135 posts since
    Jun 8, 2009

Running in the morning helps me too. I dont have to come up with excuses throughout the day why I cant go.  IM already tired... there's no one out there to see me, no cars to make me slow down.  I agree with that completely.  I am the same way!

COUCH TO 5K GRADUATE- JULY 2009

08/15/2009-  Patrick Joyce Scholarship Run 5K (Lakewood, OH)  30:00

08/29/2009- Outrun Ovarian Cancer OROC 5K (Cleveland, OH)    28:50

09/12/2009- Race for the Cure 5K (Cleveland, OH) 30:08

10/17/2009- Mid Town Classic 5K (Cleveland)  30:15

05/02/2010- Lakewood Hospital Ambulance Chase 5K 27:45

09/11/2010- Race for the Cure 5K (Cleveland) 28:50

10/10/2010- Towpath Half Marathon (Cleveland) 2:16:28

10/23/2010- Army Ten Miler (DC) 1:42:12

03/12/2011- St Malachi 5 Miler  45:50

04/23/2011- Run for Cover 10K (Dallas, TX) 58:18

04/23/2011- Cleveland 10 Miler 1:34

05/15/2011- Cleveland Rite Aid Half Marathon 2:05

07/05/2011- Warrior Dash Ohio 36:40

08/06/2011- Gazebo Gallop 5k 26:20 PR!!

08/14/2011- Run Jane Run 10K 57:40 PR!!

08/20/2011- OROC 5K 26:15 PR!!

• AnTrelle Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 18, 2008

In response to your questions:

1) How did you get the motivation to make that first workout? When I couldn't put on my favorite pair of jeans and breathe normally- at that precise moment in time I knew I had to either do something to change the way I looked and felt or I would soon be in the big girls area shopping for 'comfortable pants'* *

2) How do you hold yourself accountable? Easy, I tell as many people that will listen that I am training for a half marathon, I also have my training plan on an excel sheet sitting here on the wall in front of my computer so I HAVE to look at what workout I have done, or will need to do that day. I think saying I'm not motivated is taking the easy way out and that's just not the type of person I want to be.

http://www.1stplacesports.com/tri2btuff.jpg

In 2009 I Completed 3 Half Marathons in 3 Months!

10/3/09 Marine Corps Half 3:12:26

11/26/09 Outback Distance Classic 3:09:50

12/20/09 Jacksonville Bank Half 2:56:21

• MathewO Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 23, 2008

Here's some things that helped me:

- Try and find someone to run with

- Make it non-negotiable. No matter the weather, how you feel, how smelly your shoes are, how hungry you are, whatever, just get out there every day

- Log your workouts - it's fun to see your progress, add up your mileage after a while

- Focus more on how you feel than how you look or how much you weigh

- Do everything possible to enjoy the running. Bring music, bring a friend, run in a nice area, etc.

- Take it slower than you think you should and don't get obsessed with doing lots of mileage. 

• DogCrazy1966 Amateur 38 posts since
    Jun 8, 2009

Good luck miranez-  I heard about the C25K and went home that afternoon and did Day 1.  I'd taken my dog to the vet and she'd gained some weight.  It's one thing for me to be unhealhy, but my poor dog getting fat?  Unacceptable. 

I'm accountable by telling everyone I know that I started running and I'm working my way up to a 5K.  Plus, I come and post here and read the other people's posts.  It's very inspiring.

I'm 42 years old, back in school and working part time.  I've gained 50 lbs in the past four years.  I want to be heatlhy and fit.

• PJBE Pro 118 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009

I am also 48, and planned to start C25K after my b'day Monday. So far, I have done Wii Fit. Last night I spent an hour fiddling with my Polar heart rate monitor. NOW it's ready. I refilled the Brita pitcher, so I can fill my water bottle. My running clothes are clean. Just need to wait for the sun to get down a little so it gets a little cooler this evening. I am buying the plant water absorbing crystals today to make some cool ties thingies for my neck. I might make Punkin, my 4-footed sometimes running partner a matching bandana-hmm, pink ribbon fabric? ANYWAY, I plan to start. The mp3 player is even charged. just here for more virtual moral support, I am not a morning person.

Starting C25K (5th time's the charm)

Cave Spring Road Race, June 2012,planned

Oct 14, 2008

I got up in the early AM and did 1.5 on my eliptical.  It took 30 min. but it is a new start.  I have had  quit a bit of energy since then.  I had the day off so it made the getting motivated somewhat easier.  Tomorrow I will have to set the alarm to make sure I get my 30 minutes in.  It helps knowing I am not the only on has this challenge.  My daughter has been running for 6 months and says she is now at a point where she loves running.  I can't wait to get to that point, hoping it will make it easier to get going.  This response is to PBJE.  However, my computer is wacked today and this was the only reply button.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points