Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

30922 Views 299 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2009 2:33 PM by clifton4 Go to original post 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 Previous Next
  • AllyDuran Amateur 22 posts since
    Feb 26, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    270. Jun 18, 2009 8:11 AM (in response to 5kforHim)
    Re: * * * Spring Starters 6/7 - 6/13 * * *

Sayhellotofrogs- prayers and wishes for good news

Did W2D3 today, on the treadmill at 5am again because life keeps getting in the way in the evenings. Dripping with sweat, I pushed the sleepiness away, and made it happen. How powerful do I feel? Woo hoooo!

I'm going to do some research into the Nike+, but while I have you guys here, what are the pros and cons?

Thanks,

Ally

Couch to 5k - wow!
  • HappyOnTheMat Pro 95 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    271. Jun 18, 2009 9:25 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

ClareBo and Jubee13 - you guys are kicking butt and going fast - holy moly good on  you guys!! You are both doing great. 

I should be doing 2.5miles on day3 week7 today but I am still achy and under the weather (which is about as wet and rainy as you can get here in NY). Hoping to feel up to running tomorrow.

Question - does anyone use a heart rate monitor on their runs? I know that the wrist watch versions are not the best but wondering if it is really worth the investment for a polar chest strap version.  Any input is appreciated.

Clarebo was it you contemplating a HM in October? I read somewhere that you really should have a 6 month base of running before undertaking HM mileage ...ma ybe try doing a search on the site for more info.

x 9 weeks!

GRADUATED COUCH TO 5K JULY 10, 2009 WOOO HOOO!

• TinaSLP Rookie 9 posts since
    May 30, 2009
    272. Jun 18, 2009 9:36 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Completed W3D2 this morning and feel great.  It was tougher today than on Monday, but I pushed through it.  It's funny....on the first 3-minute run, I feel like I'm not going to make it (but I do).  Then going into the second 3-mile run, I think there is just no way.  Yet it's easier than the first.

I am so stinking slow, however, that I'm trying to pick up my pace a little bit by lengthening my stride.

I can't see how I'll ever finish a 5K at this pace!

• clare bo Pro 174 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    273. Jun 18, 2009 9:55 AM (in response to HappyOnTheMat)

Happyonthemat:  Thanks so much!  Twas not I who was thinking of a HM (but thanks)!

LIFE IS GOOD,

CLARE

• astarrc Amateur 62 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009
    274. Jun 18, 2009 10:09 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Finished week 7 Day 2 yesterday it was a great run. Did the whole 25 mins pus some till I was at the end of my route.

I had been having some minor aches in my lower back but hadn't really thought of it much, not really pain just a little achey. Until this week. I think maybe the canoeing over the weekend aggravated it. But the odd thing was that it wasn't hurting during or after running. But after I ran yesterday it got really bad so got an appt with my dr for the afternoon. Love my dr. he got me in right away and after ruling out kidney stones (which I have history of) he said that my bones were all out of whack. This freaked me out I am not one to wanna go to a chiropractor for some reason i'm nervous about them. But my dr. laid me on the bed and pulled on my legs and stretched them and moved them around without popping any bones to get me realigned I guess. He said it should feel better in a day or two, gave me some naproxen and sent me on my way. He did give me some stretched to do everyday, not just before/after running to loosen up the muscles around my hips.

Anyone have any experience with lower back pain? Been to a chiropractor? Suggestions?

APril 23, 2011 -- First Annual Red Ribbon Run 5K - 35:55

2 year break from running - ugh..  health issues and laziness

July 4, 2009 -- Annual Melon Run 3 Miler - 40:03.28 

• klasmom5 Pro 150 posts since
    May 3, 2009
    275. Jun 18, 2009 10:32 AM (in response to astarrc)

astarrc - my sister went to a chiropractor a few months ago and didn't really like it...but my husband has gone before and he really thought it was helpful...he was having low back pain (my sis was having neck problems).  I have heard of so many people (not necessarily runners) that swear by thier chiropractor, though.  I say, give it a shot...if you don't like it,. you don't have to go back...While we are on the subject...I have been having issues with a stiff neck since I started running...anyone else had this happen?I thought it would go away, but it just hasn't...I have good and bad days, but it never really let's up...

Now, if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing.  You have to make the mind run the body.  Never let the body tell the mind what to do.  The body will always give up.  It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night.  But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.

~George S. Patton

• erniedee Amateur 40 posts since
    May 11, 2009
    276. Jun 18, 2009 10:59 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

2nd time's the charm...W6D1 complete. Apparently having some food and water at some point before going for a run is a good thing

After quitting my first attempt at W6D1 before the end of the 8 minute run, it was "easy" last night. Ok, nothing about running is easy for me, but it was good. I was actually in a terrible mood before my run & got home happy. Not sure when I became that person, but I'll take it.

On to W66D2 on Friday. I'm sad that I no longer start my weeks on Sunday (with the repeat of D1), but since the days vary now, it's less of an issue for me.

Someone asked me about my screen name - nothing interesting - an old nickname was ernie and my last name used to start with "D" so, erniedee it is. It's usually available, so I just go with it.

Say hello to frogs - my thoughts are with you. Hope you get good news.

Erin

• jubee13 Pro 181 posts since
    May 14, 2009
    277. Jun 18, 2009 12:28 PM (in response to astarrc)

astarrc - I started having a lot of lower back pain as my runs got longer. I talked to my neighbor who runs marathons, and she said a few visits to the chiropractor really helped her. However, since our insurance no longer pays for those visits, I decided to see if I could help it a little myself. I started doing stretching exercises every day that my sister found on the Internet, took ibuprofen for a few days, and sat in this chair thingy we have that massages your back. These things really helped a lot!! My back is much better.

If it gets worse again, I will go to the chiropractor, although I've never been before. I just don't want this to keep me from being able to run.

Hope this helps.

BTW-Mara, it was me who was toying with the idea of a HM at the end of October. I do think I will stick with my April 2010 date instead (relief!). I want to be totally prepared and hopefully not get injured. Glad you said that about having 6 months under your belt!

• Mariamou Amateur 67 posts since
    Apr 25, 2009
    278. Jun 18, 2009 12:35 PM (in response to HappyOnTheMat)

I use one all the tme when I run. it works good for me to know what zones I am working in and also gives a more accurate calorie count.  I think they are well worth the investment. 

Graduated C25K 06/26/2009

• lehuagirl Expert 106 posts since
    Apr 19, 2009
    279. Jun 18, 2009 1:36 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

So wierd but great to see those of you who are graduating. And to think the first 60 second run was HARD! To all you runners just starting, YES it was hard for most all of us!

Mariamou (Sorry If I got that wrong!) Yes, it was you at the MOA. So you are in the MN Club.

MNSusieK  We were looking at the Team Ortho Mpls Marathon 5K scores for my daughter and I think I found YOU. I love small world experiences.

All- while looking at my daughter's score for her 5K I noticed the last person finished in over 56 minutes. That was oddly comforting....

Today I had a funny experience. A guy was backing out of his driveway and he motioned for me to keep going and wanted to wait for me. Clearly he overestimated my speed. He could've easily backed out and been down the block by the time I actually reached his driveway let alone passed him. I did put on a good bit of spectator speed though, and ran around him, despite the humidity.

Water: First time I brought it. Super cumbersome, but really helpful!

Humidity???? I ran in Florida on week 4 at the beginning of May, so I thought MN humidity would not phase me, but it sucks the life out of me!

Status: MAEBERRYBOO  I ran W5D3 AGAIN on my second pass at week 7. Felt OK. Took a couple micro-breaks and I'm not worrying about them! Hope your hip is OK.

HappyontheMat - hope you are feeling better from the flu.

• Gmaxwell39 Amateur 43 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009
    280. Jun 18, 2009 5:26 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

wow there's a lot of progress here!! I've had a very tough week. first intentionally took 3 days off to celebrate a big 40th bash for myself and my husband! then held my daughter's 6th bday . . . then had plans to run but came down with a 24 hour fever thingy that knocked me on my butt. ugh.  And my first 5k is this weekend and I had two mediocre runs of less than 3 this week, which I was lucky to do feeling like I did M and T. sigh

just picked up my packet though and am excited but my time estimate has gone up after the last week. ah well, it's just the first race, right? after all, I've only been running 10 weeks!

*I'm signed up for my first 5K! 28th Annual Waterfront Festival 10K/5K, June 20, Alexandria, Virginia.*
  • Mariamou Amateur 67 posts since
    Apr 25, 2009
    281. Jun 18, 2009 6:01 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

I ran today with a friend from work.  We did 20 minutes.  I felt bad for her as she was having pains that radiated down her back into her legs and had to walk half of it. I did not know what to do as I did not want to stop my run but wanted to be there for her.  I ran ahead and then came back most of the time.  We ran a nice little walk/bike path in St. Louis Park by where I work-it was a good surface as it was pretty flat.  I think I am gonna add that to my routine. We did agree to meet every wed AM before work to run.

Graduated C25K 06/26/2009

• HappyOnTheMat Pro 95 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    282. Jun 18, 2009 6:30 PM (in response to lehuagirl)

another totally RAINY day here in NY .......crazy, crazy, crazy rain it is starting to make me nuts. I am feeling almost better thanks LehuaGirl! Hoping to run tomorrow rain or no rain.

Happy Birthday  GMaxwell39 -

Mariamou - what kind of heart rate monitor do you use? I would really like to spend more time in the fat burning zone, lol, and I know the monitor would help.

Jubee13 - glad to hear you will give yourself a longer base of running before embarking on HM training...how is your back doing? I have had very good experience with chiropractic care. you may be able to negiotate a lower fee for cash payment if you ever do need to consult one.

erniedee - yeah for your successful week6 run!!

speaking of backs, did I read right that Astarrc, Jubee13 and klasmom5 are all having back or neck discomfort?????? All around week 7 ish of c25k. I wonder if this is coincendence or a real body adjustment period of the program.

x 9 weeks!

GRADUATED COUCH TO 5K JULY 10, 2009 WOOO HOOO!

• klasmom5 Pro 150 posts since
    May 3, 2009
    283. Jun 18, 2009 6:48 PM (in response to HappyOnTheMat)

Hello all...I completed W9D2...I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!  Only one day left and I am a graduate!!!  I can't believe it!  Today was rough and I really tried to push myself...but still only managed tortoise speed...I ran 2.75 miles in 32 minutes, I was at just over an 11:30 pace (probably closer to 11:40)  Also, yes, I have been having neck pain for the past several weeks, sometimes when I am driving and I look over my shoulder to check my blind spot, before changing lanes, I cringe in pain!!!  Not fun at all...it just seems to be stiff all of the time

I will have my last run either Saturday or Sunday...not sure which one yet!  Wish me luck...and everyone else, keep going!!!  You are all doing great...I am going to be sad to have to leave you guys...I don't know if I will be able to find a group that I like this much for the one hour runner plan or gateway to 8k  

Now, if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing.  You have to make the mind run the body.  Never let the body tell the mind what to do.  The body will always give up.  It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night.  But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired.

~George S. Patton

• sayhellotofrogs Amateur 49 posts since
    Apr 24, 2009
    284. Jun 18, 2009 6:49 PM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Thanks everyone for all the words of encouragement and prayers. I put the caringbridge link in my signature for you Clare and anyone else interested. We got excellent news about Dylan today-blood counts were much better, improved so drastically they no longer suspect relapse and he was even able to start back on chemo. I came home and crashed, it's been a long and sleepless week, and then I got back on track with my running. Week 7 Day 1 in the bag. I'm glad those extra days off didn't kill my progress and it was good to be back at it.  It does seem like quite a few people are having back pain around this point so I hope that you are all feeling better really soon. Amber, what are some of the stretches the chiropractor advised? Hope you are feeling better too, Mara. Everyone seems to be making great progress and I am going to try to catch up on all the posts but there are quite alot so I will just say keep up the good work everyone in lieu of more personalized cheerleading for now!

Chrissy -C25K Graduate!!!  www.caringbridge.org/visit/dylankinsey

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...