Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

29239 Views 299 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2009 2:33 PM by clifton4 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 Previous Next
  • HappyOnTheMat Pro 95 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    285. Jun 18, 2009 7:15 PM (in response to sayhellotofrogs)
    Re: * * * Spring Starters 6/7 - 6/13 * * *

SayHelloToFrogs - YIIIIPPPPPPPEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! great news on Dylan....and you got your run in, awesome!.....now go sleep for about a million hours you deserve it!

x 9 weeks!

GRADUATED COUCH TO 5K JULY 10, 2009 WOOO HOOO!

• IBmotivated Pro 90 posts since
    May 28, 2009
    286. Jun 18, 2009 7:33 PM (in response to HappyOnTheMat)

SayHelloToFrogs: I am so happy that things are looking better for your son.  I was so sad when I read that he may have relapsed... Cancer treatment sucks enough as it is without the threat of relapse hanging over your head.  I am really glad that his counts have rebounded.    

It is really great that you have C25K as an outlet for some of the stress that you must be feeling, what a healthy way to get through this.   Your family is in my thoughts and prayers, hang in there!

• clare bo Pro 174 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    287. Jun 19, 2009 5:19 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Sayhellotofrogs!!!!!!!  Excellent excellent news!!! Now you can both get back on track!  Congrats being able to do a week 7 run....those babies are HARD without any additional stress or fatigue!  You ROCK!

LIFE IS GOOD,

CLARE

• Mariamou Amateur 67 posts since
    Apr 25, 2009
    288. Jun 19, 2009 5:25 AM (in response to HappyOnTheMat)

Happyonthemat: I use the RS200.  I am thinking of bitting the bullet and purchasing the foot pod to measure distance/pace etc. as the Nike+ sportsband I have has a broken screen and only after 8 uses!  I don't have the receipt and can not return it with out.  Part of the screen is blurred out and it is still usable-will use until I can't anymore and then make up my mind.

Maria

Graduated C25K 06/26/2009

• erniedee Amateur 40 posts since
    May 11, 2009
    289. Jun 19, 2009 6:37 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

I've been looking at the Nike, but don't have the Nike shoes. Does anyone have anything similar to record pace? Or has anyone had luck with the Nike+ with other shoes?

• RunWV41 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 12, 2009
    290. Jun 19, 2009 8:10 AM (in response to jubee13)

I use my iPod and I adjust my incline and speed at different times. I don't suggest reading because you could keep your head down too long and that's not a good thing.

My name 5kforHim is about running for the big guy. When I'm out there enjoying God's creation, it always comes to mind how many blessings I have and reminds me of the ones I tend to overlook. I give the glory to Him no matter what I'm doing. Keeps me focused on winning the race and not giving up. Stops the comparing to others deal too. Usually, I hate being by myself except when I'm running. I love the time to decompress and those last ten minutes of endorphin rush is AWESOME.

Ran W3D1 yesterday on the treadmill. Really tired and somewhat sore. Where those dolphins when you need them? Running tomorrow am. 

• DogCrazy1966 Amateur 38 posts since
    Jun 8, 2009
    291. Jun 19, 2009 8:39 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

I ran W3D3 this morning, and it was another good run.  Now I'm starting to worry about the next week, as usual.  5 minutes???  I'll just give it a shot on Monday a.m., and hope for the best.

I'm running slowly, but I'm running. 

• aspins Pro 102 posts since
    May 18, 2009
    292. Jun 19, 2009 8:51 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

SayHellotoFrogs--Great news on Dylan! So glad you got some good news and very impressed that you got your run in too! WTG!

Finished Week 6 todayYay!! It's quite hot here today so I tried to get out early and the breeze helped. I am still pretty slow13+ minute mile pace. But will not let that get me down..As I kept saying to myself--"I'm doing it, I'm doing it!!" Happy to have this under my belt and hoping to keep right on going into Week 7 on Monday.

Glad to see everyone's runs and accomplishments. Hope each and every one of you has a wonderful weekend. Good luck on races and as always--Happy Running!!

Great weekend coming up for us with DD, DSIL and wonderful grandchildren here for the weekend.

Ann

Completed C25K July 10, 2009!!  

Ramblin' Rose Triathlon August 23, 2009  Winston-Salem, NC

Dash for Divas Triathlon September 12, 2009  White Lake, NC

May 25, 2009
    293. Jun 19, 2009 9:55 AM (in response to Mariamou)

Hi Maria, thanks for the heart rate monitor info.....I read on a website that Nike had kind of done a recall on the wrist monitor for their + unit - you should call up Nike on their 800 number and stomp your feet and demand a new one even without the receipt. you own it, it failed, they should replace it! does your Rs200 support the foot pod? Mara

x 9 weeks!

• Mariamou Amateur 67 posts since
    Apr 25, 2009
    294. Jun 19, 2009 10:01 AM (in response to HappyOnTheMat)

HappyontheMat: I think it does but have to make sure.  I am pondering if I should stay with Nike and either have them send me another sportsband or go purchase a Nano since it relatively the same price.  I like having the mileage but want to figure out if I can afford and how much more money to pump into it.  I use the free training tool on here to log my runs so having another site doesn't really matter.  I am gonna contact Nike-I was just concerned about where I purchased it since it was a dept store and not a nike store....

Graduated C25K 06/26/2009

• Polarhug Amateur 51 posts since
    Apr 14, 2009
    295. Jun 19, 2009 10:56 AM (in response to HappyOnTheMat)

SayHelloToFrogs - You and your son INSPIRE me to keep going!  (hugs)

Finished week 6, day 3 run of 25 minutes and it was HARD... but I did it!  When my body catches up to my brain i'm gonna be lethal.

May 25, 2009
    296. Jun 19, 2009 11:01 AM (in response to Polarhug)

Awesome Job PolarHug - that was one of hte toughest runs for me  -

welcome to week 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aspins, enjoy the family!

off for my Last run of week 7 in about an hour, fingers crossed three days rest hasn't set me back.

Mara

x 9 weeks!

• astarrc Amateur 62 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009
    297. Jun 19, 2009 11:16 AM (in response to DeterminedRose)

Week 7 Down for me !!!!

SO I did my week 7 day 3 run this am supposed to be 25 mins or 2.5 miles. I decided to switch from time to distance today but had a hard time finding a good route in my neighborhood that was 2.5 miles. So I did 2.7 miles in 33 minutes, which is 12.22 minute mile pace, wish it was a little faster but I was so stoked that I ran for 33 minutes without stopping. So from now on I'm doing distance since I have a 5 K in two weeks.

BUT, I'm now a little bummed. My run went well and my back/butt muscle didn't hurt at all while running. But since then it has just gotten worse and worse all day. i took 1000mg of naproxen and that didnt help any. So called my dr and he told me to stop running for 2-3 days. I have been doing the stretches he told me, ice/heat and that didnt help any yet. Hopefully all I need is the weekend to rest and dont have to rest much longer I'm worried about resting too much and not getting to do a little more distance before my 5K on July 4.

sayhellotofrogs: The stretches are pretty simple. He told me to do them everyday not just on days I run. They are to loosen up my hips and upper legs, he siad that the problem was actually in my hips and not really in my back.

Quad stretch - using a resistance band lay on your belly loop the band around your foot and pull your foot in towards your bottom until you feel a good stretch. Do 2X for 30sec

Hamstring - using a resistance band lay on your back loop the band around your foot, with your knee slightly bent pull your leg uo over your head (gently don't go to far) until you feel a good stretch in you hamstring. 2x 30 sec

Hips/Hams/Quads - on your knees in a lunge position, one knee on floor out in front of you other at 90 degrees, with your body upright lean forward and feel the stretch in the front of one leg and in your hips. swithch legs do each leg 2X for 30sec.

APril 23, 2011 -- First Annual Red Ribbon Run 5K - 35:55

2 year break from running - ugh..  health issues and laziness

July 4, 2009 -- Annual Melon Run 3 Miler - 40:03.28 

• clifton4 Pro 64 posts since
    Jun 1, 2009
    299. Jun 22, 2009 2:33 PM (in response to AllyDuran)

Ally,

You were wondering about other people and where they were physically when they started. I'm 41 (male) and was a pretty decent high school athlete, etc. Stayed pretty active through my early to mid-20's, then basically did nothing physical for the past 10-12 years.

The Couch25K has been perfect for me. Like you said, it's tough enough to be a challenge. I'm beginning Week 5 tonight (sometime LATE tonight) and that 20-minute run at the end of the week is certainly a little daunting. Right now, though, I'm focusing on those 8-minute runs that are coming sooner. I'm really starting to believe in the program. Honestly, a month ago the thought of running 5 minutes in a row sounded impossible!

Stay the course!

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...