Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3127 Views 35 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2009 12:22 PM by cavidu 1 2 3 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 23, 2009 10:21 AM

14th Annual RC Cola-Moon Pie 10 Mile Run Reviews

Share your experiences with the 14th Annual RC Cola-Moon Pie 10 Mile Run below Back to event details page.

• Kim Hulse Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 8, 2009
    1. Jun 23, 2009 10:21 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: 14th Annual RC Cola-Moon Pie 10 Mile Run Reviews

loved the event-hated the heat

Hated that there are no portalets along the route- there is no were to pull off and potty.

Oher than that had a great time

• khrich Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 23, 2009
    2. Jun 23, 2009 10:23 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first run.  It was fun even though it was hot and had lots of hills.  Everyone was so nice.  Even the people who lived along the route.  The family with ice and water at a separate location from the water stations and the sweet family with the hose pipe hooked on to the scoop bucket on his tractor that sprayed like a shower.  All the volunteers were very helpful and considerate.  I plan to do it again next year.

• wbreeding Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 11, 2007
    3. Jun 23, 2009 10:23 AM (in response to Guest )

This is a great race.  Plenty of water on the course and the finish line area is great.  You should plan on staying for the festival that follows, a good time is guranteed.  The couse is as advertised, gently rolling with that on hill at the 4.25 mile mark.  I am sure that most of us have run hills if you are from the southeast, so these hills should not be a problem.  The course will be hot, afterall this is June in the south.  This is one race that you need to have on your list of events accomplished.

• MYeagle Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 23, 2009
    4. Jun 23, 2009 10:29 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my second year running the Moon Pie, and I love it!  Only one suggestion - give runners more space between the finish line and the exit.  One of the organizers blocked the exit in order to get my chip, (which I understand is expensive to replace), but stopping runners cold isn't safe.

• Donna Moss Rookie 1 posts since
    May 31, 2009
    5. Jun 23, 2009 11:03 AM (in response to Guest )

I always do the race if I can.  It is a great race and you do a good job of it.  There is one thing that needs to change.  You should start it at 6 a.m.  This would be a big help.  I live in Florida in the winter and all races start at 6 to avoid the heat.  I hope you will consider this.  Keep up the good work!

• Jon Tate Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    6. Jun 23, 2009 11:09 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first year to run this race. I loved it and I will plan on running it again next year. I love the hills on the front half - weeds out the crowd in a hurry. =o)

• mikeynew Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 18, 2008
    7. Jun 23, 2009 11:09 AM (in response to Guest )

Enjoyed the race!  The hills were more challenging than I expected but now I know and will be more prepared next year.  I can only echo what others have said, start the race @ 6 am and lengthen the finish area or move the chip removal station further back, maybe across the street.  Otherwise, it was a great race/event.  And Bell Buckle is such a cool little community.  Glad I did it.  Will be there again next year!

• hingrass Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 28, 2009
    8. Jun 23, 2009 11:19 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first time participating in this race.  I did enjoy it except for a couple of safety issues.  I was very surprised to have to run around vehicles on the road.  Really didn't expect that at all.  I was highly annoyed that after coming through the finish line I was forced to stop moving to have the chip removed from my shoe.  They really need to allow the runners to walk if off some before making such an abrupt stop like that.  Also, with it being so hot, an earlier start time would be greatly appreciated.

• Angela M Wakefield Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 18, 2008
    9. Jun 23, 2009 11:42 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first year participating in the event. Had a blast! Thougt it was well organized and well staffed. I will ditto all the others and think start time should be @6 to beat the heat. Really enjoyed the farmers who provided the "waterfall"! Really fun crowd and look forward to running again next year.

• wcarl Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 22, 2008
    10. Jun 23, 2009 11:43 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first time in Bell Buckle. First off, I had a hard time getting there because the directions were incorrect. It is a lot more than 11 miles to Bell Buckle Lane after exiting I-24 at exit 81-A. I finally got there just in time, only to discover the outrageous fact that I had to pay $5 for parking. Ridiculous with that big of an entry fee to pay for parking. The course itself is really great! Would have really enjoyed it if it had not been so hot. I skipped the much ballyhooed refreshment tent because there was a line to get to it that went all the way past the exit at the finish area. No way was I going to stand in that heat in that long of a line after running for hour and a half. Despite the negatives, I will be back next year because I loved the course.

• Jane Reneau Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 10, 2008
    11. Jun 23, 2009 11:45 AM (in response to Guest )

This is the third year I've run this race, and I plan to return every year I can.  It is well supported with plenty of water stops and wonderful refreshments at the end.  It is a rolling course, with several hills and there isn't a lot of shade, but if runners show up ready to run a race in JUNE, they know it is going to be hot.  It is a beautiful course and when runners complete their race, they can enjoy the Moonpie Festival and all it offers.

A great town and a great race!

• A Christensen Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 27, 2009
    12. Jun 23, 2009 12:14 PM (in response to Guest )

As a first-year runner in Bell Buckle, but as an experienced racer, I would like to offer a few suggestions:

1. Block off the roads! This is a safety concern as well as a comfort issue.  If I am going to run a road race, I do not want to have people blowing their horns at me to get out of the way of their moving vehicles.  Also, racing in the humidity of June is difficult enough without having to breathe in exhaust fumes. 

2. Allow finishers to walk off their kick before having to have their chips removed!  As runners, we all know that an abrupt stop after racing is terrible for the joints, muscles, heart, etc.  Come on...

3. Start the race earlier! It's June in Tennessee - enough said.  Even 6:30 would be nice. 

4. As the aforementioned are necessities, the following is only a racing luxury:  allow runners more visual in the last half mile of the finish line.  The finish snuck up on me and I wasn?t prepared to complete the race as I normally would.  I will extend my respect for the course itself, however.  The course was beautiful, well thought-out, and challenging - I especially appreciated the water station at the top of the ?big? hill.

• pshowalter Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Jun 23, 2009 12:38 PM (in response to Guest )

My first Moon Pie! Finally!  For all you uppity runners out there, this ain't your race. Hello, heat, hills, rednecks, Moonpies, Fried Biscuits at the finish line! This ain't your typical comfortable 5k or overhyped 1/2M/M.  It was a great experience and that's why you run this race.  You don't run Moonpie because it is comfortable or because you want to PR or to beat your nemesis. Its you and all the other runners against the course. Kudos to Bell Buckle and to the Nashville Striders.  And if that young guy in the pickup who tried to drive across the main pack of runners shows up next year, its not up to organizers to block off the course; its up to us to put dents in his hood!

• nathanrun Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 25, 2007
    14. Jun 23, 2009 1:00 PM (in response to Guest )

Tough run.....heat plus the hills, but a great one. The organizers do a really good job and the local citizens are as friendly as they come. I plan to do it again next year, but register early. It's capped at 1000 and I think they may have turned some away this year.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...