Skip navigation

1394 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2009 5:08 AM by Lovin2TRI RSS
Lovin2TRI Amateur 27 posts since
Jul 31, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 23, 2009 11:59 AM

I just finished my first Sprint!

I am a 54-year old woman, and I just finished my first sprint triathlon on Sunday.  Although I was no speed demon and didn't break any records, it was AWESOME and I FINISHED!!!  And it was with a BIG smile on my face and the question:  "When is the next one?"  I live in Central Florida and the heat was absolutely oppressive this weekend, with the temp into the 90s by the time I began my run (and close to 100 when I finished).  Well, I was going to finish that triathlon NO MATTER WHAT, so I ran a minute or two, then walked for a minute, all the way through the 3 miles to the finish chute.  And I was running when I went over that finish line with that ear-to-ear smile on my face.  My 3 mile "run" took me about 42 minutes, which averages out to about a 14 minute mile, but I didn't care.  It was all about finishing my FIRST TRIATHLON.

I have only been running for about a year and a half.  I am not a strong runner to begin with, and I absolutely hate running in the heat, but I DO like running.   I run outside as well as on a treadmill but I try to run outside more.   Over the past year and a half, I have definitely improved but I'm still in the11.5-12 minute mile range on average.  What can I do to improve my running endurance, so when I do future triathlons my running is stronger?  I realize Sunday's heat was a big factor, but I just could not get a running pace going.  I did not have shortness of breath or a sense of imminent collapse or anything like that and right after I finished, I actually felt great, but during the run I had no energy at all to get "in the groove."

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• sweatequity Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 12, 2008
    1. Jun 23, 2009 12:08 PM (in response to Lovin2TRI)
    Re: I just finished my first Sprint!

What I found really helped me was ChiRunning. I highly recommend it. With a few simple techniques I was able to double my running endurance. More importantly I was able to eliminate some basic technique problems that exposed me to injury. Check it out for yourself.

Best of luck and way to go!

Read my journey as a novice triathlete with a can do attitude at The Triathlon Optimist.
  • billprice005 Pro 75 posts since
    Dec 8, 2007
    2. Jun 23, 2009 12:26 PM (in response to Lovin2TRI)

One of my coaches recommended nutrional gels and they seem to have helped me finish stronger.

• KSJungster Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 21, 2009
    3. Jun 23, 2009 2:07 PM (in response to Lovin2TRI)

CONGRATS to us! I could copy and paste your first paragraph and put it here.  I am a 50 year old female who also did my first Sprint Tri this past Sunday.  I had mixed emotions when I finished as I was confused by my time (they had the Olympic start time posted, not mine so I thought it took me a lot longer). Once I saw my times I was elated. I finished each segment below my desired time and was thrilled that I made it. My goal was to finish and not have to walk. I too average a 11-1/2 minute mile so am slow but it took me a couple months to get to the point where I could run 30 minutes.

The hardest part for me was the swim. I've been in the pool 3x a week for several months, but the open water swim and not being able to see where I was going really threw me off. I couldn't get my stroke into any kind of rhythm so that 15 minutes in the water felt more like an hour.

Learned a lot! like i need to make my T1 faster. But I loved it! Just signed up for my next one at the end of August. By that time in Michigan, I'll have to deal with the heat you had.

Sorry I don't have any running advice. HOpefully you'll get that from a more knowledgable running post. 

Just wanted to say CONGRATS on your first Tri!!

Mar 21, 2009
    6. Jun 24, 2009 8:08 AM (in response to Lovin2TRI)

Wow, I'm impressed with your Ocean Swim AND your run up the hill. Your swim experience and transition were the opposite of mine. I'm not sure what I need to change in the open water. Somehow I found it very difficult to try to keep looking for the Bouys I was to swim around and couldn't get into my stroke at all. Hmmm. Need work there. And unlike you, I was exhausted and had a very slow T1 as I recovered.

Cool you got a new bike! I rode my mountain bike with road tires and averaged only 12.5 mi on the hilly course so i have to pick up the pace! My trainer says to get much faster tho I need to buy a new bike. Was your new road bike expensive? I don't want to invest a lot for a couple of years of Tris. But I'm hooked for now. Signed up for my next one yesterday; training continues and looking forward to the Aug 23 event.

• Tri - Luis Angel Amateur 31 posts since
    Sep 25, 2008
    8. Jun 24, 2009 10:25 AM (in response to Lovin2TRI)

Congratulations, your story is spiring. And i see you are hooked in thisTRI thing.

I have an advice, in order to run faster you need to have fresher legs after the bike, so i will suggest more time on the saddle get stronger on your bike, so you will have better legs for the run. Then there is a thing called Brick workouts for bike/run with this your legs will get used to the transition and during the event you will feel yours legs right away. I read something else that i am keeping in my mind, "If you want to run faster then train faster", look for any kind of information about the correct running technique, it is very important because you need to keep the momentum going, breathing easly.

I wish you the best in your next event, keep us posted.

Bye

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    10. Jun 26, 2009 10:10 PM (in response to Lovin2TRI)

Congratulations on your first finish!!! Nice job finishing on the run and for your improvements in speed over the past year.

Jeff Galloway, active.com expert & Olympian, says you have to run faster to get faster. Check out this article, 5 ways to improve your 5K speed. http://www.active.com/running/Articles/5_Ways_to_Improve_Your_5K_Speed.htm

Also, I bet you'll be more confident & feel stronger next time knowing you've done this before, you've finished one event already. Each race is different & has its own challenges, but it'll still help knowing you've finished a tri already.

I hope you'll encourage someone to train with you this summer!

Well done,

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• swimslikeabus Amateur 20 posts since
    Jun 5, 2009
    11. Jun 27, 2009 6:48 AM (in response to Lovin2TRI)

Way to go on finishing! I did my first Tri last weekend too, in south Georgia, so I hear you on the HEAT.

Heat effects the performance of  everything. Cut yourself some slack.  As you train more, you will improve you ability to manage the heat. Not much you can do about the ambient temperature but be sensible about your training times, and keep hydrated.  Running in FL in 95 degree heat takes a lot better conditioning than running in cooler climes. Keep it up, but be sensible. Good luck.

Mar 21, 2009
    13. Jun 28, 2009 3:31 AM (in response to Lovin2TRI)

Cool! CONGRATS on another one Already! You did great! I was really interested to know how much the new bike would help. So you had a good impact with the faster bike. Keep up the great work!. My trainer tells me I need a new bike before I'll get faster. I'm ready to get speedier but not ready to invest the big bucks for a bike. We'll see. Did you find your second one easier mentally since you'd been through one before and new what to expect.

I totally agree with how relaxed and fun the Triathletes are. I did my race with a friend who is a marathoner and she said it was a much more relaxed, fun atmoshpere than before a running race. I'm hooked too; after just one race.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...