Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

This thread is locked
13588 Views 97 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2009 4:50 AM by JoeInTX RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Previous Next
  • warias Expert 51 posts since
    Jun 15, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jun 23, 2009 9:04 AM (in response to runjr)
    Re: 1/2 Marathon Trainers, Week of June 21st

Good afternoon Everyone-- I cross trained and took yoga class. 

I see everytone is doing a great job with training

Chuck:  is Nuun same as Elete?  if so, if one better than the other?  I currenlt drink Elete w/my water (not too tasty)

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...

It's about learning to dance in the rain."

Thunder Road- NC -Half- Dec 12, 2009 ------------ 2:26:20
    Turkey Trot -8K NC- November 24, 2009-------------51:06
    Dowd YMCA - NC-HALF- November 7, 2009------2:36:52
    Runway 5K run -NC - October 31, 2009 -------------- 29:15
    Rock & Roll VB Half- September 6, 2009 --------- 2:51:24
    Racefest 10K -NC- april 12, 2009 ---------------------1:23: 01
    Cooper River Bridge Run 10k SC -4/4/09-----------1:33:38

~ upcoming races~
    Flying Pig Marathon - Cincinnati, Ohio - May 2, 2010
    Cooper River Bridge Run 10k - March 27, 2010
    Riverfront Race Festival HM- North Charleston, SC - January 16, 2010

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare" ~ Juma Ikangaa

• macd019 Pro 709 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    31. Jun 23, 2009 10:01 AM (in response to warias)

Hey all, busy week with DD#2 home last week. I did manage a longer weekday run last Wed, 7 on Sat. and 2.5 today. Saturday's run felt much better than the previous 2 weeks' long runs had, so that was nice. Very hot & sticky here now, but I guess it's that way for just about everyone now. Sunday along the lakefront in Milwaukee was quite cool, though. DD and I enjoyed the Lakefront Festival.

I'm hopelessly far behind on shout-outs, but I'll see what I can do... maybe work my way backwards and see how far I get!

A belated Happy Father's Day to all the Dads (and single moms)... Hope everyone had a great day!

warias, good x training!

cyndi, welcome and ouch! Sounds like you might want to see a dr. I hope it doesn't seriously derail your training.

Melody, sounds like a nice run in St. Augustine! I don't know how you can do anything in the heat where you are.

3elks, hope your run went well. Sounds like a nice father's day for your family.

runthe#s, sorry you weren't happier with your race - sounds like tough conditions though! Glad you are starting to feel better.

Cara, when you mentioned 13 weeks, I looked at your ticker, and thought Wow, it's getting close! Hope your calf feels better quickly.

chuck, 90s at 3:30 a.m.?! I guess I shouldn't complain when we hit it at 3:30 p.m.! I still think you're a bit off your rocker to be up running at that hour (but in a good way, of course!).

megan, hot days at work for you! Does it stay that way all summer? It would zap my energy for working out for sure.

carmen, almost half way to your goal by Tuesday is great!

Jim, good luck meeting your goal this week!

Sheila, heat is one reason I run in the a.m. - but also, life just gets in the way more as the day goes on. And belated congrats on your race - PR & placing, awesome!!

Marilyn, thanks for sharing more of your insights. Do the vibrams provide enough protection for outdoor street running? They look like you would feel stones through them (our streets are not in great shape up here!). Great job on getting your box, and I like that shirt!

spicegeek, glad you're back together with your kettlebells. I've been looking at them... would you mind repeating what you said about the handles? I'm afraid it would take days to sift through this thread to find it, and my memory is a sieve. 2 more weeks until you officially start, eh? Honestly, with all you do, it seems like you're already halfway there.

runjr, nice 12! Hope you had a great FD. DD#2 doesn't think she can commit to a half this fall - her schedule is going to be too erratic. So I'm on my own (and I can't decide either!).

misswendy, I was wondering too - don't plyometrics bother your foot? They are really hard on my joints. I thought you were going to let it heal

Heather, hope your shins are feeling better.

Betty, nice speedwork! I need to get back to that, I've really slacked since the hip injury.

Jill, sounds like the tri training is going great! Watch out for those motorists though.

Joe, hope you had a great father's day!

Okay, I need to get back to work so I'll stick with this week's thread COOL running everyone!

• smurph05 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 23, 2009
    32. Jun 23, 2009 3:34 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

I'm new here and I have been reading through this thread and thought I would introduce myself. I'm training for the Rock n Roll half marathon in San Antonio in November, but I am battling a string of injuries  that is keeping me from progressing at the rate I would like. As I was finished healing a fractured ankle, I developed piriformis syndrome which apparently caused my hip flexor to become irritated. I am using ice, advil, and chiropractic treatment at the moment to help me to deal with it. After I run the Peachtree Road Race on July 4th (10k) I think I will take about two weeks off to heal and then start my training again. I think that will still give me plenty of time to get ready to run a half in November, what do you think? Right now I am running aobut 4 miles every other day with a long run of 6 or 7 miles. I do one speed workout each week consisting of a mile warm up and then some 200m sprints followed by 200 recovery then repeat about 5 times. If I feel up to it I throw in some stadiums, and then a cool down of about .5 mile. My biggest nemesis right now is the heat, which I know many of you are dealing with also. But the way I look at it is that we have 3 months of brutal heat to deal with but the rest of the year we are able to run very comfortably with no harsh winter weather to keep us indoors and off the road! I have been trying to get acclimated to running in the late morning heat because my time group for the Peachtree is 9, meaning that I won't cross the starting line until close to 9 am. On July 4th that means a brutal heat will already have set in so I am trying my best to train in similar conditions. With 55,000 runners I don't think I will be moving all that fast anyways! I am really excited about the half marathon in San Antonio, I've never done anything like that before. I have read about the awful way in which transportation was handled so I plan on trying to get there really early just in case they have not resolved the problem. After the half marathon I am going to set my sights on a full marathon, the Mayors Midnight Sun Run in my former home state of Alaska!

• cscmartin Expert 144 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    33. Jun 23, 2009 4:14 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

hey everyone,

i manage to get another 5 miles in ran 3 hills pretty steep.  it seems to be getting a little easier, im tried a different breathing so hopefully that will help.  i guess i will try it again on thrusday or maybe just speed work whatever i feel like on thursday.

chuck nuns tablets???  i may have to give that a try. 

heather i hope those shins feel better.

hi to everyone.  chat with you all soon.

carmen

Carmen new2running08

2008 finished races

1st half on 5/4/08 2:11:50
    2nd half on 10/19/08 2:01:01

2009 finished races 

3rd half on 5/3/09 2:05:48

• Jim66441 Amateur 25 posts since
    Apr 24, 2009
    34. Jun 23, 2009 5:38 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

Hey all - managed to eke out 9 miles this morning. Really really dreading the half in August right now - I don't know that I'll be able to run it and be proud of my effort, you know?

{color:#000000}runthenumbers{color} - your story about the barefoot runner literally made me curl my toes up in my shoes. There are enough little stones and glass on the running path to make that a very unpleasant proposition. 

• megjmcc Pro 292 posts since
    Dec 14, 2008
    35. Jun 23, 2009 5:58 PM (in response to cscmartin)

Hi all,Did my Pilates class and then my own weight routine, mostly on the machines. Did a very short run on the TM. The up/down speed buttons were sticking and I ended up starting stopping 3 times. Plus, did you know you can launch a cell phone at least  3 feet off the back of a treadmill if you drop it while you're running?? That was one of the stops, and yes it still works!!!   I haven't ran on the TM in a long time, now I realize how much better the road is.  But it was over 95 today with humidity again, so I didn't run out side. My Nathan fuel belt arrived today!!!!!!!!!!!!  I love it!! But of course I haven't ran with it yet, but It fit well and felt great when I tried it on, running with it will be another test. I plan on using it on my long run Sunday morning.  I am so dreading work the next 2 days, It's gonna be an oven in there, but I don't have it so bad. The last 2 days I've been watching ( spying, stalking, enjoying...whatever) a crew of young men roof the house 2 doors down and they are baking out there in that heat, 10 hrs the first day. So I'm not gonna whine about my job.  Oh, I forgot to mention I had a free massage today! A woman at work gave me a gift certif. for the place she uses. It was fantastic, so I have lazed around after I got done with that.

Chuck- crazy that its that hot during the night too.

Cara-Hope your calf is feeling better. I have been having to continuously foam roll mine and use my stick also. Hope my massage today helps.

run#'s- Good race report, I think you did great considering the circumstances. At least you got some good experience.

3Elks- hope you got that run in before it got to hot!!

Melody- Sounds like fun running in a new place!!

Cyndi- Welcome! Wow, you heard it pop, that is not good. There are some really knowledgeable people that post on here . I'm sure one of them will have some advice for you. I would def take time off and let it recover.

Macd-Glad you enjoyed your visit w/DD and that's great that your long runs are seeming easier. Yes, my work will be hot most of the summer.There is a poor little air cond. that dosent even come close to helping.

Happy running all, sorry if I missed anyone.......Megan

*UPCOMING RACES*  ~ 12K Extreme trail race 5/30/11 ~ Sunburst Half South Bend In. 6/4/11 ~  Midwest Warrior Dash June 19

*COMPLETED *5/15/11 Door Prarie Duathlon 1:54~  4/16/11 Taltree 10 miler 1:37 * 4/2/11 Ringing In Spring 5k 26:43 ~Zombie Run  5K10/30/10 28:26 ~ Red Cross 5K  9/18/10 27:34 *  9/5/10 Rock & Roll VAB Half  2:12 * 8/22/10 Tour de' La Porte 5K  26:48 * 8/7/10 YMCA Sprint Triathlon 1:36 * 5/2/10 Flying Pig 1/2 Marathon 2:11 *4/17/10 Taltree Ten  1:36,* 4/3/10 Ringing in Spring 5K 26:51,

• mass girl Legend 357 posts since
    Oct 20, 2008
    36. Jun 23, 2009 6:47 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

Hi Everyone,  sounds like everyone is doing great!! That heat you guys are talking about can you please send it up to the northeast!! The month of June I don't even know if I've seen the sun a total of 5 times. Its been raining or drizzling the whole month!!!! A little depressing!!!!!!.I'm heading to Maine to the beach this weekend for a week,so we are praying for  the weather  to get  better!!!!!!   Week one of training went good.I finished with Sunday a long run of 5! ha ha Yes as the weeks go on the long runs will get longer and longer. Yesterday I took a spin class and today ran 3miles than my boot camp class.

First hm- 2/14/09 2:05:20       10k-4/5/09  56:58     NJ half marathon  5/03/09  2:02:50    Run to remember hm 5/24/09 2:05:57

Hartford Conn marathon  10/10/09  4:55:06    1 st Run 10k Lowell 1/1/10 55:23   Hyannis half 2/28/10 2:01:58

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    37. Jun 23, 2009 7:15 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

so over this weather wet cold and humid .. how in the **** does that happen .. it`s like running thro a swamp .. blech .. anyway 5 miles for me today - I decided to stop fighting the weather and ran on the treadmill which of course has the added advantage of a quick flirt with my EC !

Last night training session was WORK ! heavy lifting - 115lb bench presses - 80 + lb cable rows - leg presses - forget the weight - all reps to failure - I could barely stand when we were done and picking up a matchstick would have presented a challenge !

Training again tomorrow whihc will be more endurance cardio - god knows what he`s going come up with but last week it involved carrying the heavy bag across the gym and dragging him !!

Marilyn I LOVE that t-shirt slogan and you 100% deserver to wear it ! I love the cross fit style workouts - it`s much like what my trainer does with me - Congrats on getting you box on the WOD - you should be VERY proud !

Sheila Kettlebells are basically cannon balls with a handle - they are an old school russian weight training tool - you do very dynamic exercises with them that mostly involve swinging the bell - most of the power you need comes from your hips and legs - and it`s also a killer endurance workout - they are the BEST cross train tool - they are basically more fun than you ever thought possible and get you really ripped if you used them right !

Jim you gotto slow and drink in this weather - no shame in that at all !!

Cara enjoy your easy week !! lol 1.5 weeks and I`ll be on the official plan !! eek you are under 3 months !

runthe#s don`t beat yourself up - if you were sick at that race you did well just to finish !

cyndi take it easy on the hamstring - if you are already ruuning 8+ miles you are well ahead of any plant to train for an Oct race you can afford a little downtime to heal

macd my advice on kettlebells is not to buy cheap ones as the handles are sometimes rough and thats not a good thing - also as a female you want to try and get ones with the thinner handles - performbetter.com have very nice kettlebells - reasonable prices and the delivery rate given they weight a ton is good ! You are right my weekly mileage for the first 4 - 6 weeks of my official plan will not change much - and I`m doing longer runs than the plan originally called for ! I`ll also be dropping one day of weight training and cutting back on the cross training ! But it`s all good I`m looking forward to it !!

smurph - hello and welcome ! you sound in very good shape for Nov half

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• sunshineangeljrs Pro 127 posts since
    Nov 16, 2008
    38. Jun 23, 2009 7:31 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

Evening Greetings All!

I finally got a training session in with my new guy........CORE!  He asked if I had done any recently, and of course, being the honest girl that I am, I said "no"........BIG MISTAKE!   LOL.  I will be sorry tomorrow, and the next day, and the next!  ha ha ha.  Had the happy occurrence of having my grand-doggie tonight while his "parents" (my son and wife) had a work related dinner to attend.......we went walking to the park, or should I say, dragging me to the park?  Took him a nice hour long slow jog/drag and I swear, he looked at the last hill to my house and turned around like "you've GOT TO BE KIDDING ME"........poor doggie.  LOL

Doing really well with the tri training........got the swimming up to 1200 yards yesterday, and I swear I could have done more, but I was STARVING!!!  All this mileage I have been doing lately, I am just huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuungry!

My Tri suit arrived yesterday too...........it looks so small, it looks like it will fit my granddaughter!  LOL.  I have yet to try it on.........I am honestly scared at what it is going to look like!

Have a good night, I am fighting a cold or something, and truly need to get some extra sleep..........oh yeah, a whole half an hour, BIG DIFFERENCE!

Nighty Night!

• Frootloop6 Amateur 15 posts since
    Oct 27, 2008
    39. Jun 23, 2009 7:44 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

Well, somehow I managed to work a 10 hour day and still drag myself to the gym to run four miles on the treadmill. I've been doing four miles for a couple weeks now and I wish I could do more but four is just killing me. I can still run the first two without stopping, and I did manage to run longer intervals during the next two and not walk as much, but I still feel like I should be further along than this by now. My right leg hurts, (thigh and knee) and I don't want to injure myself but at the same time I know I need to push myself harder if I'm going to finish all the long races I have coming up in a few months. I was going to try to run six miles with my running group on Sunday but wimped out after 3.5.

Marilyn, It was the New Braunfels Schlitterbahn that I went to. I don't think going on a Saturday in 100 degree weather was the brightest idea though - way too crowded.

It's great that so many posters on here will be doing the San Antonio Rock & Roll half marathon (or full) since that's the one I'm training for as well. I volunteered last year and handed out medals at the finish line. It's going to feel so good to be the recipient of one of those medals this year.

• eponacelt Pro 63 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    40. Jun 24, 2009 3:17 AM (in response to Frootloop6)

Good morning to all.  The weather gods continue to smile on Virginia, although I think this is all slated to end tomorrow sometime and last through the weekend.  Another cool, clear, beautiful morning for a very short, but quick 2 miles for me.  I'll break out the scuba gear though for Saturday's long run - humidity will be back!  Shins felt fine yesterday after icing for a while on Monday.  I'm going to try and add an additional run to my schedule this week, hence today's 2 miles.  Tomorrow should be the regular 3+ miles, with the longer run on Saturday.  We'll see how it goes.

spice - the kettlebells sound intense.  Could be fun though!

Sheila - I'm a morning person anyway, but a big reason I drag myself out of bed (sometimes earlier than even I want to be up) is that I almost never can work in a run later in the day.  Its either 5am or nothing.  And I almost never regret getting up and out the door.  Except when its 20 degrees and really, really dark!

To the New England Crowd (xcmom, massgirl, etc) - I hope you see the sun.  My parents up in NJ has been complaining bitterly about not being able to get out and kayak.  On the plus side, at least you're not in a drought!

Jim - I think I'm with you on the Vibrams.  I think its great they work for some people, but I need lots of cushion!

Cara - Hope you had a good weekend.  Were you at Silverstone for the F1?  Looked like a good race.

runthe#s - Nice race.  At least you got it done!

macd - Nice runs.

smurph - Welcome to the group!

Carmen - congrats on the hills.  They're always tough, but so good for you.

Meg - good run on the TM.  Glad the phone is OK.

Sunshine - It sounds like your training is going really well.  I know nothing about triathlons, so what kind of suit is it?  Something that doubles as a bathing suit and running/biking wear?

Frootloop - Nice run.  Sometimes the hardest thing is just getting started, and then it all feels good after that!

Talk  to ya'll soon!

--- Heather

Recent:  11/14/2010  OBX Half Marathon 2:28:15

4/10/2011  Flying Pirate Half Marathon 2:31:15

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    42. Jun 24, 2009 6:49 AM (in response to JoeInTX)

I'm very happy to join your group...thank you for being so welcoming.  Took a day off today and spent most of last night icing my hamstring.  Sitting here at my desk now also icing.  I bought myself a foam roller off of ebay and am waiting for that to come. Anyone with any luck using a foam roller?  I've read good things on other sites about rehabing injuries with it.  I'm pretty sure I'll take tomorrow off too just to be safe.  My longest run to date has been 11 miles so I feel ok about the mileage for my training.  My problem is that I'm afraid that once I get out of the habit of running I'll make excuses and not restart.  Taking time off to rehab this injury is scary to me. I'm doing eveything I can not to go back to my old habits.  I also purchased a motivation bracelet to remind myself of my goal.  It's a beaded bracelent with 13.1 incorporated in the beads.  I plan to wear it constantly as a reminder of what I'm shooting for.....anything to motivate is my motto.  So thank you all for being so supportive and I look forward to getting to know all of you better.

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• squeiladee Expert 50 posts since
    Mar 12, 2001
    43. Jun 24, 2009 7:05 AM (in response to cyndi t)

Hey all - just a quick update.  Crazy day today so I'll try to sneak in shout outs later.  Was supposed to do 5 mi tempo today, but I didn't get home until 1 am last night so I switched with tomorrow's run.  Did some sorta speedwork - 3 mi with 3 1/2 mile repeats (pace of 9:00 with recovery).  At one point, I looked down and there was a 7 in front of my pace!  Sure, it was followed by a :55, but still, a 7 folks!  I'll have to get up a bit earlier to get in 5 so I'll do that one tomorrow morning.

It was 100 here yesterday, and it was still 90 at 11:30 last night!!  But a nice 75-80 during my morning run!

See ya,

Sheila

Oh!  There's a trail running group near me and I emailed them about some runs.  Their first email back was a 7 miler on July 11th at 1 pm in the BLAZING HOT afternoon!  No thanks. 

5K PR: I Like Ike (6/13/09) 27:14 (1st in age group!)

10K PR: Hottest Half 10K (first 10K)  57:51

Upcoming Races:
    Arts Fest Celebrate the Run 15K (first 15K) 9/19/09
    Fall Classic 5K Trail Run (first trail race) 10/3/09
    DRC Half Marathon (first HM) 11/1/09

• warias Expert 51 posts since
    Jun 15, 2009
    44. Jun 24, 2009 7:41 AM (in response to squeiladee)

FYI: I puchased NUUN (tri-berry) yesterday- for some reason i was only able to find at a bike shop. I Love it. It's eletee w/flavor. Not too salty and not sweet.

It's perfect taste.

I was using elete, but i always have to add crystal light to mask the taste.

Nuuns are in tablet form making it easy to carry in my fuel belt if i need extra eletrolytes in my water.

Thunder Road- NC -Half- Dec 12, 2009 ------------ 2:26:20
    Turkey Trot -8K NC- November 24, 2009-------------51:06
    Dowd YMCA - NC-HALF- November 7, 2009------2:36:52
    Runway 5K run -NC - October 31, 2009 -------------- 29:15
    Rock & Roll VB Half- September 6, 2009 --------- 2:51:24
    Racefest 10K -NC- april 12, 2009 ---------------------1:23: 01
    Cooper River Bridge Run 10k SC -4/4/09-----------1:33:38

~ upcoming races~
    Flying Pig Marathon - Cincinnati, Ohio - May 2, 2010
    Cooper River Bridge Run 10k - March 27, 2010
    Riverfront Race Festival HM- North Charleston, SC - January 16, 2010

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare" ~ Juma Ikangaa